The Dark Mod Forums

Black Textures

STaLKeR63

Good day,

As the title suggests or perhaps implies (It certainly doesn't outright reveal) I have a problem, the mod I have been looking forward to for more than a year is unplayable on my system and I have exhausted all avenues which did not involve posting and potentially revealing my ignorance.

The following may sound familiar to many of you but I implore you to read carefully before replying as a simple "Read the wiki" reply will reveal more about your ignorance than it will about mine.

Detail : When the game loads I can see torches, doors and other items, everything else is black.

My Story so far.

1. Downloaded DarkMod

2. Installed DarkMod.

3. Loaded DarkMod.

4. Started swearing because of black textures.

5. Googled solutions.

6. Read FAQ/Wiki.

7. Searched Forum.

Google, The forum and the wiki all give me the same solution, check the values in the config file if the textures are black.

I have checked the following configs in the following order

DOOM 3\darkmod\DoomConfig.cfg

DOOM 3\training_mission\DoomConfig.cfg

I have ensured that all the settings are what they should be, I've played with settings that look relevant. I've reinstalled DOOM 3, I've repatched it and tried all of the above again and I still have no luck.

My Setup.

Mobo - Asus Maximus III Gene

CPU - Intel I7 860 (2.8ghz on the 1156 socket)

Ram - Corsair DDR3 1600mhz 4gb

Gfx - Asus ATI HD5850

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Kind Regards,

PS. DOOM 3 plays fine.

PPS. If no solution exists then simply consider this a bug report T_T

It seems your system does not render the compressed textures. The ATI card you have seems to be new(ish), so I assume it should handle compressed textures just fine.

If you run windows, have you tried updating your graphic card drivers? Also do you have that ATI control center (catalyst something?) and can you disable it temp?

ATI drivers always generate more problems than they solve :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Thank you for your replies,

@ Tels

Yes the card is newish, I had disabled the Catalyst AI as was suggested in another topic, but I haven't yet tried disabling the entire

Catalyst Control panel.

@New Horizon

As I stated in the topic, I have checked all the settings listed on the wiki as being related to the black textures. The setting you mention being one of them.

@Ivan the B

Thanks for your reply, this seems to support the idea that this is a driver fault.

The machine was built at the end of October and all the drivers were up to date at that point, I will try a few different drivers both older and newer as well as disabling the catalyst control panel and edit\reply with results.

(at work at the moment so will be a while)

I have checked the following configs in the following order

DOOM 3\darkmod\DoomConfig.cfg

DOOM 3\training_mission\DoomConfig.cfg

I have ensured that all the settings are what they should be, I've played with settings that look relevant.

I had black texture bug a couple of times, but with an Nvidia card. I tried following directions on forum posts after searching as well with no luck either so based on my experience, i'd try to play with these three settings:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useCompression "1"

Those are my current settings.

I had black texture bug a couple of times, but with an Nvidia card. I tried following directions on forum posts after searching as well with no luck either so based on my experience, i'd try to play with these three settings:

Hi,

Those values were what my config files had by default. They didn't work, I then tried the wiki which suggests the following and this didn't work either.

seta image_useCompression "0"

Please believe me when I say that I have played with the config files. I have tried variations on all of the settings that looked even remotely relevant.

Thanks,

Appreciate it must be exasperating; we just have to work through various possibilities as it must be possible to get this working.

Can you confirm that you played Saint Lucia last year OK? That contained dds compressed textures. If so, have you changed your system since? If so, try playing Saint Lucia again (original install) to see if it still looks OK.

I had the issue on an X1900 in Theifs Den, Saint Luci and TDM 1.0 are perfect however.

Which is the first version of the ATI drivers you installed? You can try uninstall the driver, restarting into safe mode, removing the driver with drivercleaner or such then try installing the 9.10's or whatever the latest is - I do remember someone having this on 9.9... I think!

If only they would hurry up and release Rage so that they can get to the claimed source release, such a weak excuse :/

As I said above, the only setting required to fix the black textures is image_useallformats "1". We had played around with the others while trying to solve the problem back in the day, but later figured out you only needed to set that one setting. It won't hurt to have

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1" set, although having seta image_useNormalCompression "2" and seta image_useCompression "1", is just going to recompress all the DDS files again at map load and increase your loading time.

Hi

and thank you for the replies and suggestions so far.

@Fidcal

I haven't played St Lucia on this machine.

@Serpentine

I had the 9.10 driver and I have now updated to the 9.11 driver, no change.

@New Horizon

I realise your second last reply was meant for Noisycricket but with the new driver I have again gone through and tried both the default (My default) config as well as the change you mention and after that didn't work I tried the other changes as well.

@Noisycricket

I haven't fiddled with DOOM 3 settings at all and the game had detected as Ultra, I changed that to High instead, changed seta image_useCompression back to 1 since it got set to 0 when I changed my DOOM 3 settings. I still have a black screen.

image_useallformats makes no difference whether its set to 1 or 0.

Uncertain if this is relevant, but my resolution settings don't seem to have any effect on the game. Low res even though I've got the config set to 1920x1200.

Regards,

I hate to provide more guesses, but If i were you i would try messing with the doom3config file in the doom 3 base directory to and see if that helps. I messed with several settings at a time when i was trying to solve my issue, so i never really figured out what it was, but i was messing with that file as well when i solved the issue.

seta image_useCompression back to 1

This only needs to be set to 1 if you are having low frame rates. This will compress all the textures again and decrease your visual quality. It has no effect on black textures.

seta image_useallformats "1" should be the magic key here.

Try setting it in both your base doom 3 folder and in the fan mission folder itself. You should definitely be able to see the textures.

Hi

Uncertain if this is relevant, but my resolution settings don't seem to have any effect on the game. Low res even though I've got the config set to 1920x1200.

Regards,

This means D3 is simple picking up the wrong configuration file (or TDM updating the wrong one). Maybe you have another config file in another d3 folder somewhere?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

This means D3 is simple picking up the wrong configuration file (or TDM updating the wrong one). Maybe you have another config file in another d3 folder somewhere?

You can confirm that by making a change to one of the keybindings at the top of your config file and see if the change works when you run the game.

Hi,

Either you don't believe me or you have so little respect for others that you simply can't be bothered to read their posts.

Since I truly want to believe in the goodness of my fellow man I am attaching a screenshot of all three of my DoomConfig files. Please see the title bars for the paths, I have narrowed them to show only the settings that you all seem to deem relevant. I have not shown the resolution settings but all three are set to 1920x1200.

post-3478-12592493448_thumb.jpg

The reason I mentioned setting seta image_useCompression back to 1 is because it was the only setting that changed when I changed DOOM3 from ulltra to high. image_useallformats was still set to 1 and has been set to 1 since before I started this topic. It does not solve my issue so kindly stop referring to it as the magic bullet.

Additional to this, these are the ONLY config files in the DOOM3 folder. This is a freshly installed machine and a copy of DOOM 3 that was installed for the sole purpose of playing this mod. There are no other mods or configs.

I have played with the configs.

I have updated my drivers.

Please let this be the last time I am forced to repeat myself with regards to the config files. While I am glad that you want to help me, constantly telling me that "Setting XYZ fixes everything" when it fixes nothing is hardly helpful.

What I need to know now is if anyone has had a similar problem specifically related to the newest Radeon Cards or if this is a Windows 7 issue.

Regards,

If I have given anyone cause to feel offended then I would like to remind them that not reading my replies properly and constantly bombarding me with the same, already tried already failed, advice is pretty offensive to me.

Either you don't believe me or you have so little respect for others that you simply can't be bothered to read their posts.

Gee, I would have hoped that the fact we were trying to help you would show our concern and respect.

It's a message forum, we're not sitting in the room with you, it's impossible to tell if there is an errant file on your system without going through all the possibilities.

I've read your posts...and it still pointed to the same problem. Sorry that trying to help was so offensive to you. Maybe someone else will do better.

Gee, I would have hoped that the fact we were trying to help you would show our concern and respect.

It's a message forum, we're not sitting in the room with you, it's impossible to tell if there is an errant file on your system without going through all the possibilities.

I've read your posts...and it still pointed to the same problem. Sorry that trying to help was so offensive to you. Maybe someone else will do better.

Without wanting to propagate an argument, but feeling unable to ignore a blatant misrepresentation.

If you had read my posts you would have read FOUR times that I have applied the settings that are listed in the Wiki. If you had READ the topic you would not have posted your advice in the first place, and yet I was polite enough to thank you and move on the first three times you posted something I had already done.

The fact that you are not in the room with me is the reason I have tried to be as detailed as possible in my feedback.

Which makes it all the more frustrating when you refuse to read the posts I have made.

You didn't even read the topic.

Google, The forum and the wiki all give me the same solution, check the values in the config file if the textures are black.

This topic has now drifted from the original goal.

Thank you for being sarcastic in your most recent post.

Thank you for being so stuck up your own ass that you didn't realize you were telling me to do something I had already done.

Thank you for being such a massive asshole that you would get upset with me rather than realize that you were the dick spouting the same worthless fucking advice that appears in your goddamn wiki that I fucking went to already.

But most importantly of all,

Thank you to everyone who actually came up with some useful advice, and apologies to those who didn't have their heads in their asses for my vile outburst.

Kind Regards,

I understand how frustrating it is, and I went through something similar with Saint Lucia. TDM doesn't work on my Radeon 4850 HD on any catalyst version other than 9.2. The latest ver makes it crash. The latest drivers might not be your best choice.

When did your 5850 HD come out? September 2009? I'd try all three catalyst versions that came out since then. Radeon drivers can be extremely finicky.

As much as they might seem childish, smilies are probably the best way to convey your emotions when you post on a forum.

eww.gif

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Now this sounds promising. So far I've tried two versions, the 9.8 that came with the driver disk and the 9.11 that was the latest on AMD's site.

If you've had a similar problem between driver versions then it's worth checking.

Smiley's probably would have been better.

If I find myself unable to post before I can reply and let you know whether this worked or not, Thank you either way.

Edited by STaLKeR63

If D3 doesn't pick up your resolution, there can be three reasons for it:

* it ignores the config you edit (someone posted how you can confirm that you edit the right config, it might be worth to check that this is *really* the case. I know you believe it is, but trust me, computers sometimes to magic things different than you think :)

* your resolution in the config is wrong. Did you manually edit it or tried to put it into it via the menu?

* TDM changes the config, but is unable to do so (when you change the resolution via the menu)

* driver issue (ignoring the resolution for whatever reasons)

One more thing you can try: Use CTRL-ALT-~ (the key below the ESC key) and open the console, then enter "condump console.txt" (w/o the quotes) and post that text here. It might contain error messages that give us a clue.

Sorry to read we still couldn't solve the issue.

Thank you for being such a massive asshole that you would get upset with me rather than realize that you were the dick spouting the same worthless fucking advice that appears in your goddamn wiki that I fucking went to already.

First and foremost, I was not trying to be a dick. So, I'm sorry if I came across that way. Second...I'm trying to follow 3 different forums and offer help with bugs where I can, it's hard to keep them all straight. Third, I'm sick with a case of shingles. I'm exhausted, in pain, and I'm not thinking clearly. My response wasn't sarcasm, I was angry and hurt.

You essentially said, point blank that we thought you were stupid. Couldn't be further from the truth, I never though that for a minute.

I'm sorry if my attempts to be helpful weren't. I tried. As I said, I did read your posts...so I'm sorry if I repeated myself. I'm not in the best state of mind right now.

I wasn't trying to be a massive asshole, or stuck up my own ass, but your accusations were hurtful and unnecessary.

In any case, I do hope someone else here has a better idea of how to help solve your problem. That's all any of us here are trying to do.