The Dark Mod Forums

Black Textures

STaLKeR63

Thank you for being sarcastic in your most recent post.

Thank you for being so stuck up your own ass that you didn't realize you were telling me to do something I had already done.

Thank you for being such a massive asshole that you would get upset with me rather than realize that you were the dick spouting the same worthless fucking advice that appears in your goddamn wiki that I fucking went to already.

While I can understand that you are a little frustrated with us, there's absolutely no reason to throw out personal insults like this.

We get it already that you read the wiki and the forums, but believe me, if we knew the solution to your particular problem by heart, we'd tell you. It's obvious that there must be something wrong with your particular setup, as the common solution to the black textures problem doesn't draw in your case. I'd recommend double-checking your drivers and maybe try to test your installation on another computer, if you have the chance.

Remember that we're not getting paid for this, so insulting TDM team members is not really getting you any further. The next time you are angry with some people across the internet, just leave your fingers off the keyboard, ok? If there's another wave of name-calling from your side, I'll be less polite.

• Like 1

First and foremost, I was not trying to be a dick. So, I'm sorry if I came across that way. Second...I'm trying to follow 3 different forums and offer help with bugs where I can, it's hard to keep them all straight. Third, I'm sick with a case of shingles. I'm exhausted, in pain, and I'm not thinking clearly. My response wasn't sarcasm, I was angry and hurt.

You essentially said, point blank that we thought you were stupid. Couldn't be further from the truth, I never though that for a minute.

I'm sorry if my attempts to be helpful weren't. I tried. As I said, I did read your posts...so I'm sorry if I repeated myself. I'm not in the best state of mind right now.

I wasn't trying to be a massive asshole, or stuck up my own ass, but your accusations were hurtful and unnecessary.

In any case, I do hope someone else here has a better idea of how to help solve your problem. That's all any of us here are trying to do.

Then I apologize. As you pointed out we aren't in the same room. I hope that you feel better soon.

And I do appreciate the attempt to help me. I appreciate the fact that you are taking your own personal time to try to help people and that you actually earn nothing for doing so.

@ Tels

I work in IT so "automagical" events are something I believe in.

To answer in point form,

1 - I edited all three configes simultaneously. I made the suggested changes in all three before testing each time, seemed easier than trying to figure out which one was the actual config in use.

2 - I first set the resolution through TDM but once I read the wiki post on low resolutions I started editing the config to set my resolution.

3 - This is what I figured from reading the wiki so I went the path of manually editing the conigs.

4 - I still need to download the 2 previous driver versions from ATI to test if it is a driver issue as Mortem Desino suggested.

I will try editing one config at a time to determine which is the one in use, but since my settings are uniform across all three I'm confused as to what it will achieve.

I will definitely run condump console.txt.

@Greebo.

The dark mod does run on my laptop but with very poor performance.

I will be trying older drivers since the newset ones don't solve the problem.

To reply to the running argument.

@Greebo

I realize that I have insulted one of you and you feel the need to defend them but can I point you to the previous three times and the topic itself where I politely informed people that I had read and applied the fixes. I would like to point out that I didn't start a topic because I was too lazy to read and apply the wiki. I also feel that you haven't read the entire thread or you wouldn't have posted "We get it already". All you seem to have seen is the flame post.

Can you honestly tell me that you think it was right to tell me the same thing as the wiki repeatedly when I made it clear in the topic?

Can you honestly defend the "Gee, I would have hoped that the fact we were trying to help you would show our concern and respect." sarcasm that was handed out? After I was driven to the point of actually posting my configs to prove I'd applied the setting.

Can you honestly tell me that if someone told you to do something you'd already done and told them you'd already done you would not get annoyed? Especially after they imply you are a liar by repeating the advice multiple times.

Can I honestly defend my foul language? - No I cannot, does that mean I don't feel justified, No.

I find it weird that "We get it already" because obviously one of you didn't and that caused my outburst.

I am not upset that you don't magically know the solution, if you knew the solution to my problem I would have found it via google or the wiki. So again it's weird to me that you imply that that is the reason I was upset. I came here precisely because it appears that no one has the solution to my problem and I need suggestions that aren't in the wiki or on google.

In any event I did not expect to be treated politely though I am thankful for it. On the forums I moderate it would have resulted in an instant ban... not that I'm suggesting how you should do your job...

Edited by STaLKeR63

For the resolution problem, check your config and make sure they have r_mode set to "-1" otherwise Doom3 will ignore the resolution settings.

Also do you have AutoExec.cfg in your doom 3 or any mod folders? If not you can create that file and put all the relevant changes in their and they will be applied at game run time and override DoomConfig.cfg.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Can you honestly defend the "Gee, I would have hoped that the fact we were trying to help you would show our concern and respect." sarcasm that was handed out?

I thought we had an understanding that I wasn't being sarcastic? I'm sorry you interpreted it as sarcasm, but it was a sincere statement. I meant it. I had hoped that the fact we were 'trying' to help would be evidence that we were concerned and respectful of your situation. :(

Can we move past this?

@AluminumHaste

I think I had a PEBKAC error... I applied the setting (The Base\DoomConfig was the only one where it wasn't -1) and it didn't make a difference to what I was seeing, so I set the game to windowed mode and played with the resolution, the window size changed...

I was seeing jaggies on the flaming torch poles on either side of the lecturn in the training mission and assumed it was because the reolution was low. One less problem on my list at least.

@Tels

Because of the above I haven't bothered with your resolution resolutions. But I have done the condump. There were a lot of

"WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/"

So I contacted my good friend google and the gist of the posts I found was that the textures are missing or corrupted. (I only found 4 posts specifically about TDM, the other posts I found were more about other MODs and how to package the textures)

I used the TDM updater to install the mod so I'm raising an eyebrow at the suggestion they're corrupt or missing. But in the spirit of leaving no turn un-stoned I'm busy re-installing the MOD as I post this.

The condump:

console.txt

Those reading this thread just for the argument need look no further:

I thought we had an understanding that I wasn't being sarcastic? I'm sorry you interpreted it as sarcasm, but it was a sincere statement. I meant it. I had hoped that the fact we were 'trying' to help would be evidence that we were concerned and respectful of your situation. :(

Can we move past this?

Our understanding is that you weren't being sarcastic which is why I apologised to you, but in defending myself to Greebo I explained that I flamed you because I felt you were being sarcastic, young me and old me are two different people after all.

I have moved on, I've received more suggestions, I've thanked more people and I've replied back with more results.

But so long as others persist I will reply.

Even if it reveals me to be a small minded individual.

Hi all,

Glorious news, Corrupted Texture packs FTW.

Re-downloading the mod fixed the problem, is it possible to add some kind of final checksum? like a checksum of the darkmod folder that people can download separately?

Anyway, thank you to everyone who tried to help me and especially to the admins who put up with me.

Kind Regards,

PS. I've just spent 5 minutes staring at the training room, I haven't even moved yet ^_^

Glorious news, Corrupted Texture packs FTW.

Re-downloading the mod fixed the problem, is it possible to add some kind of final checksum?

*embarrassed*Oh... duh.

I had a PEBRELE problem there. Problem exists between right ear and left ear.:laugh:

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

*embarrassed*Oh... duh.

I had a PEBRELE problem there. Problem exists between right ear and left ear.:laugh:

Don't beat yourself up. I assumed that using the TDM Updater to download the mod would avoid the possibility of corrupted textures so I didn't even consider it.

We all know who "Assumption" is the mother of right?

I would just hope that this gets added to the Wiki as a possible cause of Black textures. :)

Don't beat yourself up. I assumed that using the TDM Updater to download the mod would avoid the possibility of corrupted textures so I didn't even consider it.

We all know who "Assumption" is the mother of right?

I would just hope that this gets added to the Wiki as a possible cause of Black textures. :)

Using the tdm_updater is definitely avoding the "checksum error" problem. Or did you say you used the updater and the PK4s were still corrupt? That shouldn't happen as it checks them quite thouroughly.

Anyway, glad you can enjoy TDM!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah that shouldn't happen, the updater does a checksum on every file.

Which is why I didn't think of corrupted textures because I was seeing what looked like a checksum when the updater was running.

What may explain the problem is that I lost connection mid way and then resumed the download later, there were no errors or warnings though.

I love this forum's admins and members. They all live in a harmony. may the peace be with you and shine upon your path. biggrin.gif

That's because we get all the frustrations out on each other in the private forums. LOL.

Just Jokin'

-------

@ Stalker...

That's probably why it was overlooked as an issue. Easy to overlook something that shouldn't happen when there are so many other things it could be.

Glad you got it working though.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest