The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Darrin

I am amazed with TDM ... only one more map to play tonight, then I'm done, so I thought I might get serious about DarkRadiant ...

On my Dell dual core 2.4 w/ 3 gig ram 8600 card on XP 32bit ...

Installed vcredist_x86.exe

Installed darkradiant-1.0.2.exe

both went well ...

Doubleclick on new DarkRadiant shortcut and get:

DR_error.jpg

Is it because of where I have Doom3 installed? Does it need to be in program files?

Of course starting with the second double click on the DarkRadiant Icon I get this:

DR_error1.jpg

Here is a look at my dir:

DR_error3.jpg

I have also attached the user.xml the 2nd error refers to .. uninstalled, delete all local content, registry sweep and reinstall, same results ...

I do have a seperate Doom 3 folder on my E: drive that is NOT patched up to 1.3.1.1304 , so that wife and I can co-op using LastManStanding Mod for D3.

To get going with TDM, I created a folder: C:\Doom3 , and copied just the essentials over to it from my E:\Doom 3 ... ie: I left the following folders behind: saintlucia, opencoop, lms3, ... After that I patched up to 1.3.1.1304 and the rest is history ... loving it ... I can not stop taking screenshots ... now if I could just get going with DarkRadiant ...

Any one seen this before and want to help getting a newbie going? - I have had success editing Thief 2 and SWAT 4 maps and levels, and I reskinned my TDS Garrett to have my face on him in the game .. (see my avatar! -hehe) ... thanks! - Darrin

user.xml

Edited by Darrin

Didn't DarkRadiant ask you about your "Engine path" (the path to DOOM3.exe) the first it started up? What's the content of the darkmod folder?

The user.xml file you posted is the "factory default" one, there is another on in C:\Users\Darrin\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant or something similar.

Didn't DarkRadiant ask you about your "Engine path" (the path to DOOM3.exe) the first it started up?

oh man, so glad your on today! -

DarkRadient did not ask me for paths at all, ... immedialty after install(s) I double click on desktop shortcut and get error.

The Doom3.exe I run is a NOCD .exe from GameCopyWorld .. I do still have the original Doom3.exe renamed as Doom3.ORIG if needed , but I think it asks for registration numbers I lost years ago ... probably in the box with the Origianl CD lost back at our first house ... can I edit a file to manually input the correct path?

What's the content of the darkmod folder?

Should be default install:

DM_DIR1.jpg

The user.xml file you posted is the "factory default" one, there is another on in C:\Users\Darrin\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant or something similar.

I did a search of C:\ which produced only the default 'user.xml's that are in the DarkRadiant install folders. When the 1.0.2 version of DR didn't work, I installed version 1.0.1, so the serach found two:

user_xml1.jpg

I'm on the work side of a dual boot machine ... I'm going to boot back over to my 'play' partition and try it with the original .exe to see how that works ...

I attached two of three files that I did find in "C:\Documents and Settings\Darrin\Application Data\DarkRadiant" they were .log, but forum doesn't have that extension set as acceptable, so I renamed .txt .... the third is darkradiant.pid at 0.0 kb ...

I tried the original Doom3.exe but got the exact same results ...

I just installed the 64bit version of DarkRadiant on my wifes Dell 3.2 quadcore w/ 4 gig o ram / 8800 pro XP 64bit and although it DID ask me for the engine paths, it still hangs for a sec and errors out when it starts to initialize the EntityClassManger module ... same results, except my machine never asks for the paths ... must be something wrong with the copy of Doom3 we are using ... her Doom3 folder is just a copied version of my Doom3 folder, copied across the network ...

thanks for helping me out! ... Darrin

darkradiant.txt

radiant.txt

Edited by Darrin

I conducted a test by installing the first version of DarkRadiant and it worked .... I worked my way up this list installing and un-installing until it gave the error on launch: http://sourceforge.net/projects/darkradiant/files/

I CAN run 0.9.10 without the hang/crash on the EntityClassManager ... but 0.9.11 and higher all give the error ....

Can I still make FM's with 0.9.10?

What is the difference between 0.9.10 and 0.9.11?

Why would 0.9.10 work on my machine and 0.9.11 won't get past the EntityClassManager?

Could all of this be caused by the additional .pk4 files I have in the /base folder? Which of these could I safely delete ?

base1.jpg

Could someone tell me what they have in their /base dir? Or if this really matters to DarkRadiant 1.0.2 ? - Thanks! - Darrin

Ah, there are a lot of shady add-on PK4s in your base folder. That's a hint that some file within those PK4s let's DarkRadiant choke.

Can you do me a favour and pack up all these PK4s, except the pak000- pak008, and send them to me. Do include the pak0009 one, as I don't seem to have that on my system (I just have 000-008). I'll try to run DarkRadiant on those Pk4s and see whether it crashes here as well.

Ah, there are a lot of shady add-on PK4s in your base folder. That's a hint that some file within those PK4s let's DarkRadiant choke.

Can you do me a favour and pack up all these PK4s, except the pak000- pak008, and send them to me. Do include the pak0009 one, as I don't seem to have that on my system (I just have 000-008). I'll try to run DarkRadiant on those Pk4s and see whether it crashes here as well.

oh thank you thank you! - Last night I got my feet wet with DarkRadiant 0.9.10 ... I did copy and 'paste to camera' more guards and loot in the outpost . . . Repacked the .pk4 with PakScape it and ran it, and there they were! - Tonight after Turkey, both wife and I are going through the tutorial ...

Yes, there must be some type of entity in one of those .pk4's that DR don't like ... I have so many, and added so many so long ago that I can't remember which ones are default! And I no longer have the original Doom3 CD ... It's probably the Doom3 'DuckTape' mod/pk4 that gives the flashlight to all weapons in Doom 3 .... I would like to get the latest version of DarkRadiant running before wife and I go through tutorial ...

All of my extra .pk4's EXCEPT game00.pk4 - game03.pk4 and pak000.pk4 - pak008.pk4 here:

http://www.mainecust...s_Xtra_PK4s.rar

I removed these .pk4s from my base dir:

removed_pk4s.jpg

which left this in my base dir:

remaining_pk4s.jpg

I uninstalled 0.9.10 and deleted the DarkRadiant folder under C:\Documents and Settings\Darrin\Application Data , and then I installed 1.0.2 and got .... wait for it ....

DR_Sucess.jpg

Thanks for helping me straighten this out! ---

Do you think I have retianed all I will need in the /base folder?

Any other files I might need or find handy?

On to the Tutorials! - .... Darrin

Edited by Darrin

You can leave the pak000 - pak008.pk4 in your base folder, these are the ones shipped with the vanilla game, if I'm correctly remembering.

I could track down one problem with TetsEnhancedGore.pk4 (I don't dare to ask what kind of mod is this anyway?) - one file in this archive has a folder named Def/ (note the uppercase first letter). My DarkRadiant debug build doesn't like that, but I don't see a problem in release builds, so maybe there's another file in another PK4 causing trouble. I'll have to re-compile the 1.0.2 release version to see where it crashes, this takes a while.

I'll have to re-compile the 1.0.2 release version to see where it crashes, this takes a while.

Aww jeesh Greebo ... no need for all that .... I removed the suspicious .pk4's and we're running strong now! - Jessica and I have three rooms built and are on page 3 of tutorial! Fun Fun! - Thanks for checking it out though! - The enhanced gore makes it pretty messy in Doom3 ... no need for it here ... we both have two copies of Doom 3 installed, one for Doom3 LMS Co-op, and the other for TDM and DR. I'm just glad we're both running the 1.0.2 ... more later! - Thanks again! - Darrin

Edited by Darrin

Ok, found the issue - somehow I managed to enable assert() expression for modules even in release builds, my goodness. I'll be disabling these, so with the above fix the problem should be gone in the next version.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, found the issue - somehow I managed to enable assert() expression for modules even in release builds, my goodness. I'll be disabling these, so with the above fix the problem should be gone in the next version.

wow ... you are one determined individual ... so with the expression disabled, 3rd party .pk4's will be ignored, right? - so fun building in DR, ... almost at the bottom of pg 3 in tutorial ... last night was water, tonight is fog lighting! l8ter - DC

... so with the expression disabled, 3rd party .pk4's will be ignored, right?

With the assertions disabled the release builds will be a tad faster. And with the fix I checked in the PK4s are just handled correctly, even in debug builds. The mod you had on your hard drive (the enhanced gore one) won't crash DarkRadiant anymore due to that weird filename.