The Dark Mod Forums

Black screen on startup

Premier

I had tried deleting the "doomconfig.cfg" file alone but I still encountered the Black Screen problem and not until I deleted both the "doomconfig.cfg" file and the "gamex86.dll" file did I have any success in getting rid of the Black Screen problem.

I realize a new "gamex86.dll" file is created each time the game is launched. I'm assuming that the first "gamex86.dll" is somehow corrupted after the first launch and that's why it needs to be deleted so a new and clean "gamex86.dll" can be used on subsequent launches.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the gamex86.dll must have been coming from somewhere else, because there is only one source for that file, which is tdm_game01.pk4. The other ones are contained in the game*pk4 files in D3's "base" folder, and it would be very surprising if those were ending up in your darkmod/ folder.

That's the way it works? Because I can go to my darkmod 1.0 install, overwrite doom3/darkmod/gamex86 with any bogus dll, and TDM 1.0 doesn't even flinch. Tdm_game01 doesn't extract on top of it at startup: it's as if it isn't even being unzipped. If there isn't ANY gamex86.dll in the darkmod directory, THEN it extracts itself.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I have identified my brand of the black screen problem. Basically, after having gone through the briefings of an appearingly randomly selected number of fms, it gives me a dialogue box saying that the map files cant be found. Which would indicate a problem with the download.

I later found out that the problem was caused by me having put spaces between fm names with multiple words when downloading them (i.e. sons of baltona.pk4). Writing sons_of_baltona.pk4 or sonsofbaltona.pk4 completely got rid of the problem.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• nbohr1more

TDM 15th Anniversary Contest is now active! Please declare your participation: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22413-the-dark-mod-15th-anniversary-contest-entry-thread/

· 0 replies
    • JackFarmer

@TheUnbeholden
      You cannot receive PMs. Could you please be so kind and check your mailbox if it is full (or maybe you switched off the function)?
      · 1 reply
    • OrbWeaver

I like the new frob highlight but it would nice if it was less "flickery" while moving over objects (especially barred metal doors).
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

Please vote in the 15th Anniversary Contest Theme Poll

· 0 replies
    • Ansome

Well then, it's been about a week since I released my first FM and I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by its reception. I had expected half as much interest in my short little FM as I received and even less when it came to positive feedback, but I am glad that the aspects of my mission that I put the most heart into were often the most appreciated. It was also delightful to read plenty of honest criticism and helpful feedback, as I've already been given plenty of useful pointers on improving my brushwork, level design, and gameplay difficulty.
      I've gotten back into the groove of chipping away at my reading and game list, as well as the endless FM catalogue here, but I may very well try my hand at the 15th anniversary contest should it materialize. That is assuming my eyes are ready for a few more months of Dark Radiant's bright interface while burning the midnight oil, of course!
      · 4 replies