The Dark Mod Forums

Getting EAX to work

Noisycricket

I've gotten EAX to work in a simple one room map. It sounded great and the reverberation you hear in this video is easily produced by EAX, once you feed the card the right data that anyway: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hJLEtMaYKOg

However, i can't get it to work in any other scenario. Basically I followed this guide by Ishvan on the TDM Wiki: Setting Reverb Data of Rooms (EAX)

I set put in an info_location entity, named it, put that name into the english.lang text file (in the base/strings folder) as " "info location name" "room1". On any other map but the small 1 room test map, I get the error: "Error: eaxtestmap.efx, line 1: expected "Version" but found '{'. I'm running out of things to try, so i thought i'd post this here. I don't have any experience with the TDM/Doom3 code or Dark Radiant, so i thought some of you might figure it out, if you haven't already.

I don't have any experience with the TDM/Doom3 code or Dark Radiant, so i thought some of you might figure it out, if you haven't already.

I put EAX into my FM (Patently Dangerous), so you might look at my .eax file in its .pk4 and see if it's different (I used some Doom3 maps as a model and to get some target values).

I don't know if it was working properly though. But I didn't get any errors.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I've gotten EAX to work in a simple one room map. It sounded great and the reverberation you hear in this video is easily produced by EAX, once you feed the card the right data that anyway: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hJLEtMaYKOg

However, i can't get it to work in any other scenario. Basically I followed this guide by Ishvan on the TDM Wiki: Setting Reverb Data of Rooms (EAX)

I set put in an info_location entity, named it, put that name into the english.lang text file (in the base/strings folder) as " "info location name" "room1". On any other map but the small 1 room test map, I get the error: "Error: eaxtestmap.efx, line 1: expected "Version" but found '{'. I'm running out of things to try, so i thought i'd post this here. I don't have any experience with the TDM/Doom3 code or Dark Radiant, so i thought some of you might figure it out, if you haven't already.

Post or upload your sfx file so we can have a look, maybe it is asimple typo?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I put EAX into my FM (Patently Dangerous), so you might look at my .eax file in its .pk4 and see if it's different (I used some Doom3 maps as a model and to get some target values).

I don't know if it was working properly though. But I didn't get any errors.

Unfortunately, I don't get any effect using either the dev or 1.0 install. I think you must have text strings in the english.lang file linking the info_location entity to the specific .efx reverb set, did you do that? I could be wrong.

@Tels: Heres my simple .efx file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3mnhzyrdzwg

Unfortunately, I don't get any effect using either the dev or 1.0 install. I think you must have text strings in the english.lang file linking the info_location entity to the specific .efx reverb set, did you do that? I could be wrong.

@Tels: Heres my simple .efx file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3mnhzyrdzwg

Reading the wiki I don't see why you would have to use english.lang at all. Just name your location "Blah" and add a section:

reverb "Blah" {
}

into the file "mymapname.efx" (change the name to match the map) and it should work.

@demagogue:

I don't see any EAX file in your PK4, did you forgot to bundle it or am I blind? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I don't see any EAX file in your PK4, did you forgot to bundle it or am I blind? :)

It's there in the maps folder, patently_dangerous.efx.

The reason you don't see it is probably that the last few versions before release inadvertently left it out. So if you still have a slightly older version that you used to betatest and not the release version then you won't see it.

Edit: O shi... Or just because I mistakenly spelled it .eax in my first post. It's .efx. :blush:

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hmm, still getting that same error. I just realized i forgot to ask if using the info_location entity from the darkmod folder in the entity list is the correct one to use. It was the only one I could find. I'm wondering if i forgot to dmap it any of the last times i made changes to the map, I guess i better try things again.

I've also tried putting a efx data set labeled "default" and one labeled "1" as well, no luck.

It's there in the maps folder, patently_dangerous.efx.

The reason you don't see it is probably that the last few versions before release inadvertently left it out. So if you still have a slightly older version that you used to betatest and not the release version then you won't see it.

Edit: O shi... Or just because I mistakenly spelled it .eax in my first post. It's .efx. :blush:

No, I looked into the SVN PK4. Maybe the released version is not the same as the one in SVN? (I don't have the released here handy)

Hmm, still getting that same error. I just realized i forgot to ask if using the info_location entity from the darkmod folder in the entity list is the correct one to use. It was the only one I could find. I'm wondering if i forgot to dmap it any of the last times i made changes to the map, I guess i better try things again.

I've also tried putting a efx data set labeled "default" and one labeled "1" as well, no luck.

The testmap "test/trigger_messages", it has a working info location setup. However, I never tried EAX.

Still giving the same error when giving the .efx file the location names. :(

Looking at the default TDM efx file, the first line of that file is:

Version 1

Maybe you need this, too?

te@te-laptop:~/.doom3/darkmod$ cat efxs/tdm_default.efx
Version 1

// reverb default
reverb "default" {
"environment" 26
"environment size" 1.0000
"environment diffusion" 0.6990
"room" 0
"room hf" -1781
"room lf" 0
"decay time" 1.4630
"decay hf ratio" 0.3600
"decay lf ratio" 1.0370
"reflections" -55
"reflections delay" 0.0040
"reflections pan" 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
"reverb" 27
"reverb delay" 0.0050
"reverb pan" 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
"echo time" 0.0750
"echo depth" 0.0960
"modulation time" 4.0000
"modulation depth" 0.0000
"air absorption hf" -5.0000
"hf reference" 5000.0000
"lf reference" 250.0000
"room rolloff factor" 0.0000
"flags" 15
}

I'll give it a try later tonight. Where did you find the default efx file?

It is in "efxs" on my SVN directory, but I see it is not part of the SVN:

te@te-laptop:~/.doom3/darkmod$ svn status efxs/

? efxs/tdm_default.efx

maybe I created that file but forgot to add it? I can check it in if you want it and you can see if it works on your side.