The Dark Mod Forums

(Fan Mission) "Lockdown Part 1"

GameDevGoro

Sorry, been struggling with problems in my own map so had no chance to look at this. Another option: if anyone with a map to upload has an ftp program then I can set up a special folder on my own website for beta testing.

Also, is this going to be in the Christmas contest? If so, when it's ready it needs a special poll thread starting so players can vote. Maybe I should set up an example like we did in the internal forum. Probably need to name that thread something like Xmas Contest FM: name, author, date.

I'd spend a few days polishing it up a bit, theres some nice stuff in the map, but its a bit too raw and needs some shining to show things through nicely (no one digs perfect square holes through rock with a pick! :P) - and eh, why not enter nothing to lose if you think its up to the challenge :)

One ting I did notice was that there are a lot of areas that seem very crowded, the pub for example could use a bit more space to move around in, specially as the guards hear everything around that area. Some areas there was just a lack of scale, but its not the end of the world and easily adjustable for the most part. A great showing for the amount of time!

Really? Because if that's what it takes to make the mission playable I'm willing to change them.

Hmm.. This got me thinking. Even if I release the version I'm currently holding. Is there a chance of releasing a newer one a couple of days from now and people would still take it seriously? On the account of me crying wolf with this mission? Or is it not that sensitive of a matter? :unsure:

I think it is better to commit to the fixes/polish you wish to add to the mission and release when you are satisfied. If you relaease it prematurely and then keep on tweaking, people may not redownload the FM just to see the differences. On the other hand, people can also get lost in detail-work. It can be a fine balance to walk.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That doth sound like truth to mine ears.

Well. I'm not entirely sure of what to do right now. Hmmmm. I'll continue to make some tweaks that I think are necessary for it to look right. So maybe it's best to leave it at that and I'll release it in a few days when I've removed / edited some stuff that are quite awkward as it is right now, Like the narrow stairs in some places and such. :P

Well, things like narrow stairs... I have mixed feelings. Yeah, they might be too narrow for modern day standards, but I never got stuck or anything. So no issue other than looks really. And sometimes stuff like that helps make a mission feel like the description said. Old poor town built up upon.

As far as details, that's a double edged sword too. You can go on for a year adding tiny little details everywhere. And some people will love it, others will hardly notice. Really depends how much time you want to put in. Do you want this to be a finely detailed master piece, or are you bored and want to move on to another mission.

I generally like to do OK detail, then start a new project as I get bored easy.

But I would stick to limited releases. It's fine to beta test 5 releases, but once it goes public you might as well call it finished. So finish up anything you really feel will help the mission, then make us another :)

Another thing, next time you might want to upload and only PM the address to people you agree to have test. This has already kindof become public as anyone can see this forum and the link. The limited DL was probably a saving grace for the moment. You might also want to name it:

Lockdown_beta_1

Lockdown _beta_2...

So as you go testers can keep the builds seperate and know which they test. Then when you release just drop the beta part.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

This thread reminds me that this forum really needs a sticky for instructions/best-practices for beta-testing and releasing a FM, on the model of the TEG sticky, Best Release Practices - http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82438

(A lot of the things in that thread should apply to Dark Mod releases too.)

Good idea. I've made a start here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=10349&st=0

OK. Thanks for the input there, guys. Sorry for making any kind of mess.

Another thing I was wondering, would it be preferred if some admin or someone with proper authority could delete this topic so that I could release it anew with the proper naming conventions and such? Or should I just go with this topic. Either way is fine with me. ^^

Hi again.

I'm done with the FM now and I need a few beta testers.

Reply if you're interested in doing so and I'll pm you the link.

I only need a few. :)

Hi!

I'd like to be one of few! :)

I've just played all of available 6 FMs, and I'm looking forward to see yours too! :)

It's come to my attention that there is a game-breaking bug in this release. It's when you play it on Medium difficulty.

One of the objectives simply wont work.

And yes. I do have the right settings in DarkRadiant. :huh:

So play it on either Easy or Difficult. I'll see what I can do about that very odd bug later on when this testing phase is over.

Anyways. Try to enjoy it anyhow. :)

Edited by GameDevGoro

Hey!

I play it on difficult and I can't find any bug or "game-breaking" so far.

I've done all objectives except the last...

There are some questions:

1. What is the "Golden Number"? :o (I found a chalice or something in the bishop's room...)

2. What to do with the Robber's plans?

3. What about the door where Angus' letter is? Is there a key somewhere to it?

4. Where is the key of the tavern? I can't find it so far...

Tomorrow I'll try it on "easy" too.

I think this is a cool little FM, maybe there is some strange "town-planning", but the story and atmosphere are interesting and OK! :)

Try it only on difficult! You can get all of objectives only on it! :)

Edited by hykao

This is great. Played about 40 minutes on Expert so far but I play slow. Needed one water arrow so far. Not read this thread. Only trivial flaws to report:

Hide empty shop by adding shop_skip 1 to any worldspawn brush.

Z-fighting high above start point

Z-fighting on wall in

builder multi-door room off corridor from wood walkway

I'll carry on playing testing later. ;)

Thanks everyone! :)

On to business:

@Hykao: Thanks for playing. :)

And regarding your questions:

1. The "Golden Number". Well. The number is kind of just a colorful way of saying that it's a stylish piece of loot, not an actual number, but I'll revise that and rename it. ^^

2.The Robber's plans are merely a story thing, you do not have to participate in the story at all if you don't want to. You can just do all your stuff. The story just comes along and you can follow it if you'd like. :)

3.That door should be unlocked? It opens inwards though, maybe you have to stand back a little. Or maybe you mean the door that the first guy has the key to it?

4.The tavern door can be lock-picked. I hope, unless I missed something.

@Etdarkb: Eh. Yeah. I dunno. I think I'll let this testing phase end, and release it for real-real right after that, given the amount of bugs is small enough so that I don't have to remodel half the map. ^^

@Fidcal: Thanks, man! :D

Yeah, good. I didn't know how to get the shop to not display, thanks for the tip. :unsure:

I'll fix those Z-fighting issues right now. :)

There's a bug in the version I'm playing that makes it unfinishable I think. I'm not reading this thread till after I finish so I don't know if it's already reported.

The objective 'get golden number' is loot. When you get it then the objective checks off. But when you get more loot then that replaces the number in the general loot inventory so the objective UNchecks. So that objective should be made 'irreversible'.

Probably if you can leave that objective until you have enough loot you can finish it anway but...

Anyone in the middle of playing this can fix their version if they want. Even if you have started playing, and even if you have got the Number, so long as you have not yet got any more loot you can fix it:

Savegame

Exit

Open doom3\lockdownpt1\lockdownpt1.pk4 in a zip program and extract its contents into the lockdownpt1 folder.

Open maps\lockdown.map in a plain text editor

Search down for 'number'

Just below it, change

"obj2_irreversible" "0"

to...

"obj2_irreversible" "1"

Resave and relaunch TDM and load your gamesave and when you next get loot the Number objective should be safe.

What's 'Number' mean anyway?

Oh ok. That makes sense ^^. I'll fix that too right now.

And yes I will change the golden number since I was referring to "Number" as it was a "stylish golden number" that the thief wants to lay his hands on, the "number" is just sort of a colorful way to say that it is a really beautiful thing. Whatever. I'll change it anyhow, my usage of the English language has vexed many a man throughout the years. :)

Thanks for the input, Fidcal. :)

Forgot something:

@Fidcal:

Could you please specify exactly what it is that makes Z-fighting? Is it a wall texture, brushes, decals?

I'm having some trouble locating them. :huh:

Edited by GameDevGoro

Z-fighting is when two surfaces overlap in the same plane so the game is trying to render them both at the same place. You get flashes of one and the other. You can usually see them in Dark Radiant as well as in game but need to move about as you look. Those two were very bright and unmissable. To fix them you usually just cut away one of the conflicting brushes. Occasionally it's a patch. Decals: some need to be flush with the surface (stains, smudges) while others want to be the tiniest amount above.

I'm stuck. Need hint. On Expert I have done all objectives except

evidence. The tip suggests Murchad lives down the street leading down to the dock. Down there I climbed up to a wood balcony and got in a room but found nothing there. I assume this is Murchad's place.

Reading through this thread now.

I saw the fog as a light haze and had no problem with the sky that I saw. In my own FM I use caulk for sky which blends behind fog but I think your fog is thin enough to be just haze with the sky showing through.

I saw one or two notes that didn't frob. I hope they were not meant to be read? Maybe that would have told me about the evidence.

I have no problem with this FM looking a bit rough and unpolished. Some mappers make them like this and make more FMs; others prefer to polish them up and spend 50% more time and make less FMs. Both are valid imo. Yeah, I see Baddcog said something similar.

Overall this is excellent. A real Thiefy bread and butter FM atmosphere. Interest all the way.

But I'm stuck. :)

OH yeah! there's another loot objective - check that is irreversible too. I've got enough loot so I'll watch out for that - not seen any loot since I got it so I don't know if it's broke.