The Dark Mod Forums

(Fan Mission) "Lockdown Part 1"

GameDevGoro

Notes that didn't frob, eh? I'll have to really check everything since I've always been able to frob every note just fine. Hmmmm.

@Fidcal: Don't pay too much attention to the posts that are made earlier in the thread, those are older and back then my FM WAS really rough. I would say that the one I have right (The one you're testing) now is a huge improvement, and from the looks of peoples reactions it seems that it's correct. :)

However. Could you maybe post images somehow of the places with Z-fighting issues?

I'll have to emphasize some objectives more yes, and some things are hard to spot, but I don't know exactly what I could do to things that are generally very tiny in game, but could prove crucial for the objectives.

@Hykao:

The key to that door is on the first AI character you see when you start the mission, you can sneak up to him and grab it off his belt.

The bar key is in the first floor bookcases in the house where you can find the Robber's plans.

Edited by GameDevGoro

I think it's these two dripping slimes. Just check in-game if you see the same. If nobody else complains then leave them alone. But if you can see them flashing in game then try setting grid to the finest 0.125 then move them out from the wall. Many decals need to be clear in this way; others can be flush.

post-400-126098474515_thumb.jpg post-400-126098475742_thumb.jpg

I've not yet looked into precisely which notes didn't highlight

(I think one was in a desk)

but the solution is usually to add frobbox_size 4 or thereabouts makes them easier.

btw I really like the

sitting builder facing the door in bright light. Took me quite a while to figure it out. I got close to the door, crouched in the corner and opened the priest's door which put me in a shadow. Then I opened the builder's door and frobbed it again to stop it as it got about third open. Light was coming out but I could just see the torch on the wall but the builder couldn't see me because the door was mostly shut. I shot a water arrow through the gap and doused the torch then opened the door and crouched in carefully. After getting the stuff and feeling very proud of myself I found the other door! Still, I don't suppose it's any easier that way unless you can KO.

Ok cool. :)

The slimes appear to display fine on my computer. I think it could be a issue with graphical drivers. :S I'll move it out just a tiny bit anyway to be safe. :)

I'll check the note. And probably make the frob box larger, just to be safe. ;)

Oh and before I forget again: Thank you very much everyone who play-tested it, You've all been a HUGE help! :D

I'm actually working on part 2 as I'm fixing this one up. I'm working on the plot, making that one more interesting, working out how it should all end and that sort of thing. :D

Part 2 could take a lot more time though, since I'm planning on using custom textures and models for that one, and sound effects and ambient tracks. :)

So anyhow... What do you (anyone else) think I should do now? Unless anyone has more bugs to report that is? :)

It has to follow the previous part though. So maybe I can construct a place like that in the underground or something.

Cool idea. :)

I like to think that missions as a whole get a lot more interesting if you can somehow raise the re-playability in them. Like. I've played Thief 1,2 and 3 maybe 5 times through each, and sure, I've got my favorite missions there but they don't offer much room to discover new stuff (and they shouldn't, they're still awesome). But maybe that's an element that can be introduced more in TDM?

That can be seen in this mission where I basically tried to abstract the story from the gameplay as much as I could, giving the player the freedom to neglect the story if he/she wishes to do so.

But if you weave in a lot of different elements and places, could that become irritating for the player?

Finally I've finished the FM on difficult. The wall at the builder's multidoor place is okay on my PC.

Oh, I didn't notice the guards room key on the first AI's belt...so I've started the mission with rope arrows...

I could not find all the loots, I got ab. 2250...I don't have any idea where the remain loots are...but maybe I'll find all of them later...

I was confusing a bit about a "dark paper" on the Captain's desk, but finally I could drop the tip to it...maybe I saw a strange thing in this room, as if once the Captain did the get up from the ground not from the bed...but I didn't see all of happening... :S

I think this is a cool little mission, I'm looking forward to the sequel...

Oh and how could I translate FMs and main texts of TDM?

Edited by hykao

Hmm.

@Hykao:

Do you mean like "all the loot" for the mission objective or "all the loot" as in all of the loot available totally?

And thanks. :)

Translate? Hmm. As in into another language? If so, you could probably translate the xdata contents?

And furthermore. Does anyone think it would be good to release it for REAL now? Now that it has waded through two testing phases and I've ironed out all of the obvious bugs? :)

Since your very last fix you should give it at least a sanity test before release. Check the pk4 that you didn't leave any odd files in .darkradiant or .bak or miss anything. Then run the game and check pathfinding is OK that the AI are behaving normally. Run through (noclip and notarget if necessary.) Have the objectives been tested since you last fixed them? If not, check one last time that all the objectives check off including two special loot objects and that getting further loot doesn't UNdo them. Believe me, I've packaged up countless times and still occasionally an error creeps in so you have to be vigilant. Remember, it's not too bad if one or two us find an objective or something fails but if several thousand people play your FM then it's somewhat different. When you are satisfied then go for it. It's a really good FM no question and will be enjoyed. Don't worry about critics because it is impossible to satisfy everyone. Look at the thread for releasing FMs. It gives some upload sites and recommends you open two threads as prescribed here and at ttlg.

oh, sorry I didn't post earlier, but I was busy ;)

Great job so far! There were things, which I liked very much, like roof infiltrating :) Architecture looks nice, practice makes perfect, and I'm sure You'll be making systematic progress in next FM's, and I'll be waiting for them, for sure :)

I played mission twice, on easy and on difficult. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i guess there are no differences in placing loot in different difficulties right? If so, I would recommend making them harder to find, especially on difficult :) I had no problems in finding all the loot.

Other, technical issues:

On difficult, I had a funny error with officer sleeping in one of the rooms. When he woke up, he just dissapeared, after every quickload :| .

Next case: tavern. there are some textures from the outside ground on the tavern grounds, in corner of the room. Aah, and the text side to the tavern doors should be changed I think. The murder took place in this room! Something like "closed until further investigation" for example, should be better, I suppose.

Also I had a problem with one objective on difficult level. I can't find the thing that suppose to be the tip for the officer. What did I missed? Or maybe it's some kind of bug?

I promise I'll play the mission at least one more time soon, and if any other ideas come to me, I will surely write about them :)

I think It's a very good start, and I'm waiting for more, keep up the good work :):D

sorry for my english :)

Edited by Master Thief

Hey. It's cool. :) Good thing you pointed them out though, saved me a few minutes there. :laugh:

For the other issues:

I fixed the officer disappearing into thin air, there was this odd thing that the officer AI decided to get up at random intervals, so I made him go to sleep, then if the thief wakes him up, he wont fall asleep again, yes, pretty cruel, but there are ways you can sneak around him even when he's up.

The tavern thing is new to me, though, I'll check into that ASAP.

The tip is actually in your inventory from the start, that's why the briefing says that your friend gave you the letter, but that you should find evidence of Murchad's presence before that letter would mean anything to the guard captain.

Anyway. Thank you. :) I'll fix the problems right away. ;)

Oh forgot something:

This applies to anyone who play-tested it.

Does any of you have any valuable input from the underground builder tomb that can be accessed via the storage room? I'm lacking a little input. Is everything down there working as intended or did you find something odd?

Forgot another thing.

This may sound dumb or something but. I noticed that I can finish objectives that aren't even on the list for some difficulties, is there a way to prevent this that I've overlooked?

Edited by GameDevGoro

Ahh, I made some experiments with this inventory tip in officer's room, but nothing happened, and I'm quite sure It was after I checked objective connected with that bad guy (sorry, I'm terrible in remembering names, still forgotting :P ). But maybe I'm wrong. I'll check it next time. Glad I could help :) Waiting for official release now :)

Edit: I didn't found anything strange down there, I suppose. I'll play mission again tomorrow and I'll add some new comments :)

Edited by Master Thief

I found the "piece of ground in the air" in one of the tavern's corners too...here: CLICK

Here is the questionable builder's place: There is no problem here

I meant I found only 2360 out of 2410 available loots...and I found finally spyglass too... :)

I'd try on easy difficulty level too, but maybe you can give the new fixed version, couldn't you? :)

Oh, and it would be cool a map!

About translation, yes, you are right, I'd like to translate to my mother language, for example your FM, if you give me permission of course... :)

(I found the texts of briefing and letters - as you mentioned -, but where are the objectives?)

Cool :)

Yeah. I think for the objectives you'd have to edit them in DarkRadiant. I think. There could be a way to manually edit a .map file because they're text based files. But don't take my word for it though, I'm not exactly sure. ^^

And yes, if you want to translate my FM you've got my permission to do so, but maybe wait until I release it officially on these forums so you'll translate the right version. ;)

Yes, no problem. To edit the objectives text, extract the map file, eg, lockdown.map and open it in a good plain text editor. Search down for

"classname" "atdm:target_addobjectives"

Then scroll down and you can see the text alongside:

"obj1_desc" "<text>"

"obj2_desc" "<text>"

etc.

Then resave the map.

There's also "inv_name" for the various items one can loot (keys etc.)

IIRC customized difficulty levels are also in the .map, at the top of the file, easy to find (when applicable). :)

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

THX for the translation helps, men! :) ...but there is one more problem with special non-english characters...

@GameDevGoro: Sure! I'd translate the final version of course! ;)

About FM: there is one letter I found in the Messages.xd, but I didn't find in game: tavernownermessage2

Otherwise I got the new version, I'll test on easy and maybe on hard.

Hey. Yeah.

There's a chance that there are a few messages in there that don't exist in game, maybe I made something but decided to remove it and forgot to remove the text from the xdata file. -_-

But regarding "tavernownermessage2" it does exist.

It's the message that is pinned to the back of the tavern owner with the dagger. :D

Hi

I tested the new version. Finally I got all the available loots, and found the "tavernownermessage2" letter too. :)

Maybe it would be easier to find it if the tavern owner would be arse upwards on the ground... :)

I played on hard and easy too. I didn't find any bug or something.

Ok cool. :)

@Hykao:

Hmm. That's odd. On my computer he always falls flat onto his face, that the message faces up. Weird.

And as a general notice to anyone who happens to read.

I will probably release my mission officially tomorrow OR the day after, (depending on me really). I'm just now finishing up some things and taking some "beauty" screenshots to accompany the release. I intend to go through this thread thoroughly and credit each and every one of you who beta tested this mission.

Thank you very much, hats off to you guys! :)

Now there only one questions on my mind regarding THIS thread. Since I'll be posting a new one with all the right naming conventions and what-not. This thread could be deleted right? I mean. As soon as possible when the new one gets up there so no one gets confused?

I always find the owner on his back: CLICK HERE and HERE...so I can see and read the letter only from the corner: HERE

(there are some kind of strange lights at that corner up and down!)

Oh, and I found one more thing: "title" and 2 oblong square characters

Edited by hykao

Tip: it is possible to precisely position ragdolls:

•  
  • First backup your map
  • Place your ragdoll as normal
  • Play the game and drag it to the position and posture you want.
  • In the console enter saveRagdolls
  • Doom rewrites your map with the positions of every joint on the ragdoll entity.
  • Next time you play it will be in that position and posture

NOTES:

•  
  • If you already have the map loaded in Dark Radiant then remember to make this permanent don't save until you have reloaded the rewritten map.
  • The new position does NOT show in the editor.
  • The command saves ALL the map's ragdolls' positions
  • The ragdoll is still floppy so you can't get it to 'pose' without support. It still 'falls' when the game starts but since it is already in a stable position then normally it won't move.
  • The limb positions are ABSOLUTE world positions so you cannot move the ragdoll again in the editor without you first delete all the limb position properties (which you can see in Entity Inspector.) I once dragged a ragdoll elsewhere to test something and was quite puzzled when I could see it in the editor but not in-game (because it spawned at the joint positions elsewhere.)