The Dark Mod Forums

(Fan Mission) "Lockdown Part 1"

GameDevGoro

@Hykao:

Whoa that's some freaky stuff. :o

That "title" thing really does not appear on my computer. The oblong square characters look like exotic characters that the font cannot handle.

Does anyone else have that problem?

@Fidcal:

Yeah I tried that ages ago. It did not work as intended because the ragdoll has some stuff attached to it, so they automatically get offset.

Well. I'm willing to remove that whole thing and replace it with something else that kinda is the same. That is if it does not work properly on other peoples computers.

But I can't help but think of why it doesn't appear the same way on other peoples computers.

It's not like the physics Doom3 uses is hardware accelerated or anything like that. :P

I'll think about it. ;)

What I would do if I were you (and if you haven't already) is to tilt the AI in the direction of falling, eg, 45 degrees facing down. Hard to see how he would fall on his back then. Make sure he is not clipping into anything but falls from a foot or two above the ground if necessary, otherwise he might agitate around before settling.

Hmm. Thanks. I'll try that.

I haven't tried that yet because I guess I was thinking too much of the whole "you can't pose ragdolls" thing. And I do realize that applies to posing ragdoll limbs. but if it works for the ragdoll as a whole, then it should probably work. :)

I'll probably need to pose the stuff attached to it manually anyway, because it has a tendency to rotate out of form.

Anyway. I'll try it. :)

Hi GameDevGoro,

I finally found the time to start and test your FM. First question:

In the room with the dead tavern owner (who lies flat on his face on my computer), there is that shaft that goes down and up again. In the room it leads to, there's a door. I can't open or even frob it. Is that intentional?

Second: 

That tunnel in the bar, behind the wall painting, is way too low for me to crouch. Am I not supposed to enter it?

Third:

Right at the starting point, there's a frobbable door on my right. However, I didn't find any keys to it, and I also couldn't pick it. What am I doing wrong?

Fourth:

Also on the starting position, there are those white packages/bales. I can frob and move them. Do they serve a special purpose?

So far it's a beautiful and immersive map. I'll continue and hopefully finish the map tomorrow, so I can give you full feedback later.

• Like 1

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Hello, 7upMan!

Answers to your questions:

The unfrobable door is intended. I didn't figure out any ingenious ways of telling the player that the door is jammed from the other side. But yeah. Totally intentional.

Hmm. You're only supposed to enter that AFTER you've made all your objectives, I thought it was ugly leaving it a dead end so I made it look like the thief could crawl through.

The key is inside that house. You can get in the house by looking up at the very start, there is a wooden beam running out of the rooftop, you can use that to rope-arrow yourself into the house.

Naw. They're just decorative stuff.

And thank you for playing it. :)

I've been delayed a bit in releasing it officially, like I knew I would. :S

• Like 1

Okay, I've finished the FM. It took me 1:44:32 to get the 2175/2410 loot. Here's what I think.

The readable page lying on the table bevor the tunnel should have a mentioning of the docks. Maybe something like "the tunnelto the docks is open" or something.

Also, there are several rooms with odd lighting, or rather lighting that shines through walls. Please see the screenies for examples.

All in all an excellent mission that makes very good use of the available space, much like "Minerva Metastasis" for Half-Life 2.

Edit: I forgot to mention two things. First, the sky in the FM didn't rotate when I moved my view. There are a couple of FMs out there that have this annoying bug (it's already in the wiki, but there is no solution that works for me). Seems you did something right there, GameDevGoro.

And second, on my second screenshot you see that although I have plenty loot, my total loot is around 200. Is this a bug, or is it intentional?

post-3427-126132762035_thumb.jpg

post-3427-126132762811_thumb.jpg

Edited by 7upMan

Thanks, man! :)

Regarding the total loot thing. I have no idea why it says you've only got ~200 :huh:. It always displays the right amount for me.

The bleed-through lighting can easily be fixed. I'll just enable shadows on the important lights.

Thanks for the tip. I'll put that in. :)

btw I really like the

sitting builder facing the door in bright light. Took me quite a while to figure it out. I got close to the door, crouched in the corner and opened the priest's door which put me in a shadow. Then I opened the builder's door and frobbed it again to stop it as it got about third open. Light was coming out but I could just see the torch on the wall but the builder couldn't see me because the door was mostly shut. I shot a water arrow through the gap and doused the torch then opened the door and crouched in carefully. After getting the stuff and feeling very proud of myself I found the other door! Still, I don't suppose it's any easier that way unless you can KO.

Fidcal, there's an even easier way to douse the torch.

Did you notice that the sitting builder gets up from his chair every now and then? I opened the door opposite to him (to the room with the giant cross), waited left of the door opening until the builder got up, and when he was not facing me, I leaned right and shot the water arrow at the torch.

Problem solved.^^

• Like 1

@7upMan

I found he spotted me when he got up as he was so close and I was right of that door slightly lit by that torch. Not sure why I didn't stand on the left. Probably couldn't see him without leaning and ditto the torch. That's an alternative but I think I like my solution better! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hi!

Uhm. I've had some other things to take care of recently so I haven't had that much time to work on the mission. I'll release it as soon as I've fixed the issues and probably polished it somewhat, add some details, nothing game changing or anything. Just add more junk around so it looks more humane and imperfect.

Hi GameDevGoro, how is the map progress? I hope you can finish it!

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

• 2 months later...

Even if maps won't get finished, it would be a waste not to give it to another person to finish it.

Roughly 2 of his weeks transmitted it to me the beta test GameDevGoro. Wrote it to me, was sorry for it how may not have attended the Christmas competition but he did not have time and something was a trouble with the map. Wrote it yet somebody else proposes to kids the beta onto a test and publishes the definitive variant. Maybe his intestine lays zombies.

!

Are you saying GDG wants the current version you have sent as beta while he works on the final version?

http://translate.google.com 2 Weeks ago sent me the beta test (as the old one had a problem, perhaps lost or deleted). My request was sent to the newer version that you created. Tested had a few errors, but otherwise very good. Maybe there will be zombies too. Will look for a few more tested and if you like the others issue a final version, and work on the 2nd section. Unfortunately, there is little free time.works pretty well for translating if you're having issues with intestinal zombies. :)

No idea, but given that this map makes your intestines lay zombies, you might want to avoid it.   ^_^