The Dark Mod Forums

A couple of suggestions for TDM/Dark Radiant

bambini

Yes, there is quite a backlog of AI to still be released. We're going to be releasing zombies and spiders in the next update, but there are still women, a pagan, a steambeast, fire elementals, etc that already exist but need a little more work to get into a releasable state. Just comes down to manpower and time, as Mortem said.

Is there or hav there been thoughts on implement the "found secret" text (on screen) plus the sound, mutch like in T2 and of course the stats (like; found 3 out of 5 secrets) on the mission statistics screen?

I for one kind of miss it blush.gif

There is no formal support for secrets but it is already possible to implement secrets and if any mapper wants to know I'll sort out the details. Basically it is an invisible optional objective that triggers a message. We have a transparent 'no-art' background message gui but I don't think it is in Release 1.

Yes, there is quite a backlog of AI to still be released. We're going to be releasing zombies and spiders in the next update, but there are still women, a pagan, a steambeast, fire elementals, etc that already exist but need a little more work to get into a releasable state. Just comes down to manpower and time, as Mortem said.

Great, thank you to both of you for your quick answers. I just didn't know if different AI were being rolled out one at a time (like you mentioned they are) or if they were all available at the start and folks just haven't used them yet. I look forward to future additions and hopefully motivation and manpower increase - I've already seen an increase in interest at places like the TTLG forums and with each new mission that is released more folks are turning their heads and noticing the mod from what I've seen.

I bet! I believe there were also some early oDDity models of revenants (the undead builder guys with rattling chains), weren't there.

What I am curious about, though, if you have a backlog of technological gizmos that have not been completed yet - for my next FM, I am thinking of something that would rely heavily on them, and while I'm sure I can build them piecemeal from brushes and patches, that's surely not the optimal way.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

For the most part, the missing assets are AIs. I'm not aware of any significant numbers of models, textures, etc. that were held back.

You could always learn to use a 3D modelling program. It's not a lot harder than learning to use DR. (Well, maybe except for Blender.) :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Sadly, it may come to that. Except of course new objects also need object textures and whatnot. Oh boy.

Once I'm done with my current work, though, I will turn some CGTextures stuff into proper textures; some trim has already found its way into the contest FM, but there is a lot more. Creating normal maps is the part that needs a lot of attention. What I can't do per CGTextures terms of use is distribute them as a texture pack, so people will have to grab them from the raw, bleeding FMs. :rolleyes:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Regarding the arrow velocity, it is fairly accurate. I set it based on this site ( http://www.kmtargets...ts_physics.aspx ), which gave a number of 56 meters/second. Obviously this is going to vary a lot with the specifics of the bow, but this calculation assumed a 40 # draw, recurve, which seems reasonable for the shortbow our thief uses. 56 meters per second gives 2210 doom units / second (assuming 1 doom unit = 1 inch). This is the arrow launch velocity we're using.

Wow, you've really done your homework :)

OK, I hadn't realised that your arrow velocities were based on real-world physics. I'd assumed that the speeds had just been tinkered with until they looked about right (but given how thorough you've all been in making TDM, I should have expected so much more!)

Forget I complained about the arrow speed then. It's probably more a case of my expectations of how an arrow should fly being wrong.

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Forget I complained about the arrow speed then. It's probably more a case of my expectations of how an arrow should fly being wrong.

The air drag could still be a bit off. Doom3 only applies a drag force equal to a constant times current velocity, whereas I remember reading that arrows need higher-order terms to be modeled accurately. That might explain why it appears to you to drop wrong near the end of its trajectory. We don't have any plans to tweak it more at this point, though.

The air drag could still be a bit off. Doom3 only applies a drag force equal to a constant times current velocity, whereas I remember reading that arrows need higher-order terms to be modeled accurately. That might explain why it appears to you to drop wrong near the end of its trajectory. We don't have any plans to tweak it more at this point, though.

I am interested in the arrow flight problem :)

I read wikipedia about lift force and air drag.

I tried to model the arrow in 2D affected by two forces:

1. gravity: F = g*m;

directed downwards

applied to center of masses

2. lift force: F = kl*V*V*sin(a));

directed orthogonal to arrow direction

directed upwards related to arrow when a>0, downwards when a<0

applied to the tail of arrow

a - signed difference between arrow angle and velocity angle. For example of the arrow flies horizontally but is oriented 5 degrees upwards, then a is equal to 5 degrees.

There is another type of drag:

3. parasite drag (assuming turbulences): F = kp*V*V*(sin(a) + C);

directed opposite to velocity direction

the application point does not matter

But parasite drag will just lower the arrow velocity. So it is not as interesting as the lift force is. I used kp=0 (no parasite drag at all). Maybe the drag for arrow in TDM should be lowered? It will eliminate the feeling of arrow falling like a cannonball in a far shot. There is no need for big air drag for arrows I think.

Well, about the results :)

1. Even with very small coefficient kl the arrow direction is naturally aligned to velocity direction. This is because any difference in angles (variable a) creates momentum which returns arrow direction to normal state (near a=0). By the way, how is it implemented now in TDM? What makes the arrow direction to be the same as velocity direction? If the only force is gravity, then arrow orientation will never change at all.

3. All the other stats are the nearly the same with lift drag and without it.

I wanted the arrow to save height for longer time. But now I'm not certain this effect appears in the real life.

EDIT:

I've launched the training mission and played a bit with archery. I feel that the arrow flies well and nothing should be changed :) Anyway, shooting too far is very rare event in TDM gameplay.

Edited by stgatilov

1. Even with very small coefficient kl the arrow direction is naturally aligned to velocity direction. This is because any difference in angles (variable a) creates momentum which returns arrow direction to normal state (near a=0). By the way, how is it implemented now in TDM? What makes the arrow direction to be the same as velocity direction? If the only force is gravity, then arrow orientation will never change at all.

3. All the other stats are the nearly the same with lift drag and without it.

That's interesting. We didn't model lift force or higher-order drag, just a very simple Stokes' drag, F = -gamma*v (actually this was already standard in D3, just had to put in a value for gamma). The high velocity drag equation would probably have been more accurate. The downward rotation of the arrow ingame is actually all fake, not real physics. :)

It's probably not the most accurate flight model in the world, but we wanted something fast to calculate and simple to maintain in the code. I'm glad it feels right to you, because at this point, we've been released for a few months and everyone's gotten used to the arrow trajectories, so we probably don't want to change it. :)