The Dark Mod Forums

TDM keeps changing my screen resolution

toadhall

Hi guys, first of all, GREAT MOD! You guys did a fantastic job on this. I finally got round to buying Doom 3 so I could try out TDM and it's been excellent.

However I have one teething problem: TDM keeps changing my resolution every time I quit a session for some reason. I play TDM on a HDTV at 1280x720 (16:9) but TDM will change the resolution in the config file to 1366x768 every time I quit. This is supremely annoying because the TV doesn't support that resolution and if I forget to edit the config file before I load TDM the next time I play, I won't get a display and the only way to exit then is to hard reboot (because I can't see the exit button) which then corrupts my Doom 3 installation <_<

Anybody else experiencing this problem? Any workarounds other than having to edit the config file every time?

EDIT: Clarified some points.

Edited by toadhall

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

I think it saves the res on a per mission basis. So if you set it during a mission then play another mission at a different res it will change if you go back.

But I'm not psoitive what the deal is. I think you need to unload all FM's. Change res. Close, then reopen?

I don't know if anyone has tried running through a TV yet.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I don't change resolutions during a mission. I don't see the need for changing resolutions when it already runs nice at the TV's native res and I preset it in doomconfig.cfg file in the darkmod folder before the game loads. Also, I only have the training mission so far.

Closing and reopening will just reset the resolution to 1366x788, no matter what settings I changed.

I don't think it's a big deal running it through a TV though, since it's basically just a computer monitor with a native res of 1280x720.

This doesn't happen to me with Doom 3 so it's definitely TDM's fault here. So far my only workaround is to set the doomconfig.cfg file to "read only" but unfortunately now if I change any other settings they won't stick, obviously.

Edited by toadhall

If you change doomconfig in the darkmod folder it is not transferred to the game folder except when installing. Try UNinstalling all FMs at the New Missions menu then exit Dark Mod. Now set the doomconfig in the darkmod folder. When you next install (make current) an FM at the menu then Dark Mod copies the config over to the game folder. On exit, any changes made at the menus are copied back from the game folder to the darkmod folder. So if you then install another FM those settings are propagated to the new game folder and so on.

If that doesn't work I'm wondering if it's something to do with the widescreen setting trying to adjust it.

If that doesn't work I'm wondering if it's something to do with the widescreen setting trying to adjust it.

Hm, yeah, did you choose 16:9 on the menu screen? (probably, because you also set your resolution).

Oh, btw, you need to restart D3 to make a resolution change "stick". That is:

* start D3

* change resolution

* exit D3

* restart D3

* now install or play FM

If you change the resolution, then install an FM or just play it, then exit, it might be that the setting is not saved and you end up with your previous setting. (because D3 only might write the config at exit but installing or playing an FM would reuse the setting from that FM).

Just speculatin, but could be it :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If you change doomconfig in the darkmod folder it is not transferred to the game folder except when installing. Try UNinstalling all FMs at the New Missions menu then exit Dark Mod. Now set the doomconfig in the darkmod folder. When you next install (make current) an FM at the menu then Dark Mod copies the config over to the game folder. On exit, any changes made at the menus are copied back from the game folder to the darkmod folder. So if you then install another FM those settings are propagated to the new game folder and so on.

Nope, still doesn't work. Anyway, after doing some more checking, apparently the "moment" TDM changes my resolution is when I actually start a mission. It doesn't matter which mission (I've downloaded some more missions since my previous post), but after the mission level is loaded, I go into the Settings menu and lo and behold the res setting has magically changed back to 1366x768. Changing the setting back to 1280x720 will do nothing after I've exited, I'll check the doomconfig file and the 1366x768 setting will magically return there as well.

Hm, yeah, did you choose 16:9 on the menu screen? (probably, because you also set your resolution).

Oh, btw, you need to restart D3 to make a resolution change "stick". That is:

* start D3

* change resolution

* exit D3

* restart D3

* now install or play FM

If you change the resolution, then install an FM or just play it, then exit, it might be that the setting is not saved and you end up with your previous setting. (because D3 only might write the config at exit but installing or playing an FM would reuse the setting from that FM).

Just speculatin, but could be it :)

Yeah, I did set to 16:9. 1366x768 is actually 16:9 as well, it's one setting above 1280x720. It's like TDM thinks I'm better off with one setting higher!

I'm aware of D3 requiring a restart to change res.. that's the whole problem really. TDM keeps sneakily changing my res behind my back and because it doesn't do it instantaneously, it surprises me with a new res the next time I load TDM! :wacko:

And does the Dark Mod settings menu show 'custom'?

Try also setting seta r_aspectRatio "0" just in case (though if you had this working in doom3 I don't see why it wouldn't work in TDM.) I'm just wondering if TDM sees that value and does a calculation. But even if "0" works it probably means you lose widescreen.

The only situation I know of for TDM changing the config is when the one in the game folder is not synch'd. Either manually or as said, by uninstalling the FM first. I just can't figure this out why it should change. A custom setting is a custom setting and should be left alone by TDM.

Sorry, I'm guessing here as I probably know no more than you about this - and probably less. ;)

Try also setting seta r_aspectRatio "0" just in case (though if you had this working in doom3 I don't see why it wouldn't work in TDM.) I'm just wondering if TDM sees that value and does a calculation. But even if "0" works it probably means you lose widescreen.

I doubt that TDM does anything different from Doom 3 w.r.t. widescreen/resolution handling - at least, not intentionally! This smells like a config handling problem to me (though exactly what, I couldn't say).

As a workaround, try quitting TDM, editing the config file manually so it has the correct values, and then setting the config file read-only. Be aware that this will render your settings menu useless, so if you want to change anything after this you'll have to do it by quitting the game and editing the config file yourself.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

And does the Dark Mod settings menu show 'custom'?

The only situation I know of for TDM changing the config is when the one in the game folder is not synch'd. Either manually or as said, by uninstalling the FM first. I just can't figure this out why it should change. A custom setting is a custom setting and should be left alone by TDM.

Sorry, I'm guessing here as I probably know no more than you about this - and probably less. ;)

No, the menu doesn't show custom. I'll try setting it to 0 later when I get the chance (not near my gaming computer at the moment) but I won't be glad to lose widescreen :( I have all the confidence that you actually know more than me. In fact I suspect this is all a huge user error, i.e.: I'm an idiot and I must've borked something up somewhere <_<

I doubt that TDM does anything different from Doom 3 w.r.t. widescreen/resolution handling - at least, not intentionally! This smells like a config handling problem to me (though exactly what, I couldn't say).

As a workaround, try quitting TDM, editing the config file manually so it has the correct values, and then setting the config file read-only. Be aware that this will render your settings menu useless, so if you want to change anything after this you'll have to do it by quitting the game and editing the config file yourself.

Thanks, Crispy. This is the only workaround that works for me. I guess I'll just have to live with the ingame menu settings being useless for now.

Having said all that, I also suspect this resolution problem I'm having is a symptom of something else, though I'm not sure if I'm right. This brings me to my next question:

When I load tdmlauncher.exe, what is supposed to happen? In my case, this sequence of events happens:

1) Steam loads up a messagebox saying "Loading Doom 3..." (I have the Steam version of D3 obviously)

2) Then the Activision logo appears and the Doom 3 menu appears.

3) I have to click on "Mods" and load "The Dark Mod - A Thief-inspired mod something something" to load TDM

4) Only then does TDM truly launch.

Am I right in thinking that this shouldn't happen and I shouldn't be seeing any D3 references anywhere at all if I load using tdmlauncher.exe?

Ah - so you're using the Steam version. You seem to have run into this bug: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9968-how-to-run-tdm-with-steam/page__gopid__197321entry197321

It's tracked internally (#1982, for reference of team members) so maybe this will get fixed sometime.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Ah okay! Should've searched the forum more throroughly I guess :blush:

In the meantime TDM is so awesome I really don't care about the flaws I'm experiencing at the moment. I think I'm lucky in that I don't experience any crashes (yet, cross fingers) so y'know, what if TDM keeps changing my res? No big deal really...

So anyways, I'd like to thank everyone who's tried to help me. You guys are such a helpful community. Hugs all round!

Ah okay! Should've searched the forum more throroughly I guess :blush:

In the meantime TDM is so awesome I really don't care about the flaws I'm experiencing at the moment. I think I'm lucky in that I don't experience any crashes (yet, cross fingers) so y'know, what if TDM keeps changing my res? No big deal really...

So anyways, I'd like to thank everyone who's tried to help me. You guys are such a helpful community. Hugs all round!

Heh, the forum search is tricky, so don't blame yourself :)

However, if you follow this advice:

But it should work the other way as well, and in any case I'm not sure if it's possible to pass command line arguments to D3 via steam.exe. Still, you could try:

steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

It might fix the settings problem, too :)

Glad you enjoy TDM!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

With tdmlauncher you put the args in darkmod\dmargs.txt. I'm not sure they will work passed direct to tdmlauncher (else why dmargs.txt?) The only arg I know for sure works direct with tdmlauncher is the name of another text file with args in. So for example, I have two shortcuts:

tdmlauncher.exe dmargWindow.txt

tdmlauncher.exe dmargFullScreen.txt

with the relevant args in each. But with no directs args it defaults to looking in dmargs.txt.

Heh, the forum search is tricky, so don't blame yourself :)

However, if you follow this advice:

steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

It might fix the settings problem, too :)

Glad you enjoy TDM!

Yep, that works for me. Thanks! Unfortunately my res settings are still not fixed :wacko:

Right now the only way for me to enjoy TDM is to set my doomconfig to readonly and all is well... (almost anyway). It's good enough to allow me to play so I'm a happy taffer.

You should try also passing the following arguments to steam.exe: "+set r_customwidth 1280 +set r_customheight 720 +set r_mode -1"

Maybe also add that aspectratio cvar to it. You could also place these lines in a .txt and try the method Fidcal suggested. (passing the corresponding txt to tdmlauncher.exe)

Edit: Fixed a little typo in the commandline arguments.

Edited by STiFU

Thanks, I will try those methods eventually but really, at this moment in time I just want to play already instead of spending the whole night away fiddling with the settings like what I've been doing the past few nights.

Thanks, I will try those methods eventually but really, at this moment in time I just want to play already instead of spending the whole night away fiddling with the settings like what I've been doing the past few nights.

Understandable :) Sorry to hear that it was so complicated for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem. When I set the resolution to 1366x768 the resolution was 1280x720 in truth - and vice versa...not too big problem I have set to 1280x720 and I've got the needed 1366x768. :)

Otherwise with 1280x720 (I thought it is 1366x768...) some texts - for example the longer inventory texts - slip out of the screen...not the all text, but some letters of it...

I have a similar problem. When I set the resolution to 1366x768 the resolution was 1280x720 in truth - and vice versa...not too big problem I have set to 1280x720 and I've got the needed 1366x768. :)

Otherwise with 1280x720 (I thought it is 1366x768...) some texts - for example the longer inventory texts - slip out of the screen...not the all text, but some letters of it...

Ah! I suspected that maybe simply the description of the resolution and the resolution itself are out-of-sync, but couldn't test this so far. When I am home again in a few days I will see if I can reproduce this (on the shiny new 25.5" monitor :D and hopefully fix it.