The Dark Mod Forums

2009 ModDB Mod of the Year Awards open

Crispy

Voted. Would be nice to see some numbers though. We'll just have to get in the top 5. :laugh:

Given our low "rank" on moddb, I don't think so :( There are HL2 mods that never had a release, only a few screenshots, and they have twice as many followers as we have.

Speaking of this, any team member should go here and ask for "join membership" on the right side of the menu:

http://www.moddb.com/company/team-dark-mod

Also, it wouldn't hurt if you add yourself as a "watcher" for the mod and team, even if you are not on the team.

Keeping a blog or post news in the team section would also be cool.

Anything that gives us traffic increases our visibility on moddb, which is good. :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 3 weeks later...

Vote for Dark Mod NOW!:D

hahahaha :laugh:

But it seems the vote system is closed now

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Vote for Dark Mod NOW!:D

HAHA! :D "Pick locks not your nose" :D

Btw, this (and the sequel):

Shows how professional the TDM is. Everything is looking good, the features work, the user interface is consistent - just wow. Looking at it it beats a lot of "professional" games and trailers!

(Youtube comments are always icky, tho. "Too little variance in brick textures" - yeah it is just this one mission.. Somebody should upload a HD version of SaintLucia or Melan's City :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get your hopes up; if anything, the public vote is bound to be even more skewed towards the usual stuff.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Don't get your hopes up; if anything, the public vote is bound to be even more skewed towards the usual stuff.

Oh yeah it is outright depressing seeing how many mods/maps/games/whatever are about "surving a zombie onslaught". The rest of the are 100% clones of older games. There is little originality and these are usually overlooked (because each day, a dozend or two "zombie-mods" gets updates on the moddb frontpage, pushing the other stuff waaay down).

The rest of the are 100% clones of older games.

Imagine that. :ph34r:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

:laugh:

I see what you did there.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Easy, just call the mod "The Dark Naruto Mod" and you could even sell it.

• Like 1

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Ah, but not in the current public version... no doubt that was our fatal mistake.

no zombees wtf U FUKIN LAM3RS ima gona play halo now

:P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

ha ha! Yeah, frickin lack of zombies did us in!

I guess it's mostly just a popularity contest, even the Editor picks really, and not a pure quality test. 'Cause man, Dark Mod is insane quality, way over their heads I guess (no bias here, purely objective observation!)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

My two cents on this matter: Maybe, if you're really really interested in better results over at moddb, it'd be a good idea to keep in mind that most players these days seem to be mindless FPS kids with the attention span or a fly. A not very bright fly.

So I think that with next update, a video with zombies being shot should be posted. Like, the player grabs a bunch a fire arrows, jumps into a horde of zombies and starts shooting like crazy. Give this news update a smashy title, like "OMFG major zombie blast!!!" and see what results (as in comments) this will bring.

If this don't get thr Dark Mod the popularity wanted by some folks here, you could try to mimick Modern Warfare: bunnyhop among stirred up guards, smashing/shooting them to pieces and using the occasional 'nade/flashbang on them. Possible title of this video: "ZOMG Ancient Warfare shooting!!!"

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

My two cents on this matter: Maybe, if you're really really interested in better results over at moddb, it'd be a good idea to keep in mind that most players these days seem to be mindless FPS kids with the attention span or a fly. A not very bright fly.

So I think that with next update, a video with zombies being shot should be posted. Like, the player grabs a bunch a fire arrows, jumps into a horde of zombies and starts shooting like crazy. Give this news update a smashy title, like "OMFG major zombie blast!!!" and see what results (as in comments) this will bring.

If this don't get thr Dark Mod the popularity wanted by some folks here, you could try to mimick Modern Warfare: bunnyhop among stirred up guards, smashing/shooting them to pieces and using the occasional 'nade/flashbang on them. Possible title of this video: "ZOMG Ancient Warfare shooting!!!"

Well really we were joking about the Zombies, as behavior like what you're describing will only succeed in alienating our followers, and attracting morons. Not something we really need.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah if we had to choose between a high quality mod and getting recognized here, we're better off being quality.

It's just too bad we don't get the exposure Dark Mod deserves, since a lot of people would get interested in TDM and play it if they saw it recognized. Now they're going to play a bunch of flashy mods that they'll just play and move on.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm telling you 2009 was not the year to "win" anyway. 2010 will be the year of TDM (regardless of what moddb says, btw, but I still won't be surprised if TDM does make it into the top 5 in 2010).

Of course the sooner you get 1.01 or 1.1 or whatever out, the more people will be able to enjoy the new smoothings and splunkings.

Release! Release! (Tormato).

Those who appreciate this kind of game will find it.

What with Fidcal's (et. al?) promised epic of storytelling+ (which I personally anticipate as much as any game on the horizon - pro, indie, fan-mod, whatever), and the other ~40+ FMs to come this year... this will be TDM's Big Beyond-beta Burst-forthing Blitzkrieg Blow-up.

year

• Like 1

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696