The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Too Late by Nielsen74 (2009/12/24)

Nielsen74

Check the box against your score for each category:  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling (eg, dead nobleman, empty safe open, items strewn.)

I wonder why there is no vote for overall atmosphere? It was really nice in this FM. Has the default TDM soundtrack been used or was it custom? I didn't hear those so far in any FM I think... Great choice either way. I ghosted it on difficult and got 1310 in loot including 5 pickpockets.

I found it a little irritating that

the footlocker can be opened by key and also by lockpicks. Searched quite some time for a chest fitting that key only to find out, I already opened that chest...

Maybe it's just personal taste, but I prefer not to have two options for opening some lock. It helps to avoid confusion. But other than that it was a great and enjoyable FM. I think though that the engine room was kind of wasted space or maybe I did just miss loot there... =)

• Like 1

So far, this has been the most enjoyable post-release mission for me: visually nice (loved the printer's workshop!), good gameplay and, what is very important in an FM, a proper use of background music to set mood.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have added a copy to bloodgate.com:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/pk4/fms/too_late.pk4

Enjoy!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I wonder why there is no vote for overall atmosphere? It was really nice in this FM. Has the default TDM soundtrack been used or was it custom? I didn't hear those so far in any FM I think... Great choice either way.

This FM is made from an all vanilla TDM install smile.gif

and I must say that DarkRadiant is a trit to work with comparede to DromEd blink.gif

Well, I've played it (the first of the Xmasians) and I must say I'm impressed beyond what I expected. Lots of opportunities to approach things in so many different ways; lots of extras/enhancements; lots of good things, for sure.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I checked and this map's ambient is 0.6 so definitely not too bright, in fact about right in the middle window. If fast ambient affects the light gem and gets you spotted differently to standard then it wants fixing.

It was fixed a few weeks ago in SVN, but won't be available to users until our next public release...unless we decide to update the current 1.0 package with a patch.

Really, really enjoyed this. My first TDM mission that I knew nothing about in advance, and it was a blast.

Mantling around the warehouse was great...I had to scramble several times, and always had to watch out for the torch guy. In fact, one time I was hiding in a dark corner while the other two guys were searching for me, and the torch guy showed up just as they were about to give up, lighting up my corner and causing the three do descend on me. :)

I too found the engine room a bit of a waste of space...took a lot of work to get there for little reason (unless I missed something).

At the end the bald guy's patrol seemed to get broken. He stood in a corner of his room and didn't walk around anymore. I tried to KO him so I could read the book, but the KO only alerted him for some reason, and I had to run to get out.

Loved putting out all the candles. The final room was very challenging for a small mission.

Overall, this is a fantastic example of what is to come. If a cool mission like this can be done in a couple weeks, what will we see in a couple months? :):)

Maby I should hav told a longer storie in the book about how the Thiefs Guild bought/overtake the warehouse to run it as a fornt for a small part of there ops! and maby I should hav told a longer storie in the Accident report about the rivaling among the Inventor´s (and about how the genertor in the narboring buildings, that he build, are running fine even after a long time!) mellow.gif

But I choose to leve all that up to the players fantasy and only hintde at it in the readables and surroundings huh.gif

Nielsen74, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your mission. the story may have been a tad thin but it didn't bother me and there were some touches that were very well done. I had something funny happen.

I was trying to escape from the boss's hut and I got caught by the boss and the archer and they chased me towards the door to the next part of the wharehouse. at some point the archer must have accidentally shot the boss because I jumped up on top of those crates by the door and next thing I know the boss is ignoring me and killing the archer.

I know that it was possible to get the guards to fight each other in all the different versions of Thief but I wasn't sure it would happen here.

a question for those who have played this mission:

has anyone snuck into and out of the boss' hut without putting out the watch fire right outside of it? I managed to get in just barely but I have not been able to get back out without being caught.

There's some excellent gameplay in this mission! I tried to ghost it (saving/restoring when failing). I was stuck at 920 loot needing 1110. Somehow missed a lot of stuff in the loot list even though I was searching in those areas.

For example, I never saw a foot locker in the first warehouse room, and I was looking for one :(. Did find the hollow crate with boarsd on top, that was neat.

Eventually my only save file got corrupted, so I'm done for now.

Really liked the visuals in the docks area

Now that I was freeof my own FM, I replayed this one, and I must say, it is even better than the first time. I finally found some of the clever loot caches I missed the first time. Impressive,

I somehow expected a coffin in the big crate with the planks you can break off, but it turned out to be only loot! :unsure:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Finally got around to play some missions. My monitor has been broke, so I been stuck with a small 13-or-so inch monitor for a while mad.gif

This mission was a really nice treat. The story was ok, I like how there is a bit of competition among the thieves.

It had some great gameplay, and like others I also liked the ambient sounds.

Overall: Godt arbejde biggrin.gif

• 3 months later...

Hey, dammit. No complains about the music? The music itself is great, really. But it was far too loud, again!!

So it is just me. FUCK IT!

But I solved it by saving and reloading that save instantly. Then the music was very calm, but not adjustable by the ambient slider. (Finally a bug that serves me)

Because the music changed a lot I had to do this quite often but because I´m playing with gamepad and headphones it took a while to reach out for the keyboard (quickload-key, in my complete darkened room) while my ears got mutilated!

This pissed me off a lot and so I couldn´t enjoy this mission like the others. Maybe because of this I rated the story with 'poorly'. Did I miss a readable?

I only found the book of the guy in the hut and the accident report.

But I was able to ghost this mission. Only one time the guy on the water nearly saw me as I looked before the tavern or what that was (there was nothing, but because of this I had zero stealth score! I ghosted complete! I know, it´s over-sensitive).

I didn´t had to 'really' reload and I played on hard. But I missed 340 loot or sth like that. I for sure missed the

rafters

. But it was fun to get the

torch-guards pocket. I studied his route from above the crates. I felt like a Predator somehow. :ph34r:

If I haven´t had this music-bug I would´ve had more fun. This really pisses me off (I said it again!) because no one else seems to have this but me! Only me! :angry:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 4 weeks later...