The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Fan Mission Lists: Released and Upcoming

SneaksieDave

There's now an editable fan mission list on the wiki, for the sake of tracking missions made for The Dark Mod. Please read and follow the guidelines, and help keep the list up to date!

Direct link, but also accessible from the wiki title page:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

Discussion of changes (format, policies, entries, etc.) can take place in this thread.

---------------------------------------

There is also now a wiki page to track upcoming fan missions:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Upcoming_Fan_Missions

Submissions, progress, and any discussion for missions under construction can take place here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11639-upcoming-fan-missions/

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Discussion of changes (format, policies, entries, etc.) can take place in this thread

Might the list be adapted to host listings for WIPs? With an ETA column? Or Maybe another list entirely for this purpose? Or is there one already? I know there is a thread for showing screenshots and whatever, but, while that is great, it's not at-a-glance (and doesn't usually get an ETA out of the author {which, I know, but it is understood the E stands for estimated})

-Anticipatory (some might say "Anxious") Aida

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I definitely prefer separate lists for things like in-progress, demos, etc. Too many WIPs die out before release (leaving clutter and maintenance nightmare, and still others fall under vastly different opinions of progress level or activity to even warrant being listed) and demos aren't really fan missions. The wiki can and should certainly have separate pages for in-progress missions, tutorials, demos, prefabs, model packs, texture packs, sound packs, etc. This keeps the FM list an FM list, and clean.

• 2 months later...

Just browsing that list, say 25 FMs in around 40 weeks which is not bad and that should be boosted when the summer contest is out.

I think at some point we need a key for things like eg, GCC which had me scratching my head a few weeks back. No doubt there will be more acronyms to come.

I think we have two small FMs that need completing. I'll review those and complete them if possible at some point. I know of another medium sized, good looking FM that I offered to complete but the author said he was resuming work on it which I'll chase up in a few months if I don't hear anything. I can't say more about that. Be tragic if that isn't finished.

• Like 1

I think at some point we need a key for things like eg, GCC which had me scratching my head a few weeks back. No doubt there will be more acronyms to come.

Enlighten me. I know it is the Christmas Contest, but what for is the 'G'? Game Christmas Contest? Grand Christmas Contest? Glory Christmas Contest? Good Christmas Contest? Gerry Christmas Contest? ....

edit: Never mind, I found it. It was 'Grand Christmas Contest'. :blink:

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 1 month later...

Sounds cool to me.

I believe I fully agree actually. I just want my ETAs! ;)

I put a Future Fan Mission proposal in the Discussion Tab for the Wiki article using the same formatting. Let me know if this is acceptable.

(The only upcoming Fan Missions I know of besides those listed for the Team Member profiles are:

Jdude's un-named cave example and GameDevGoro's "Lockdown"... )

Thanks.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm guilty of putting all sorts of tangential stuff on the Discussion tab at wikipedia... For example I provided tips for manually adding Mp3 player software to an LG Rumor... Nobody really uses the Discussion tab for most wiki entries...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:LG_Rumor_%28LX260%29

Edited by nbohr1more

I have created the Upcoming Fan Mission Wiki and will now add a forum thread about it as well:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Upcoming_Fan_Missions

• 3 weeks later...

Now that this thread has been re-labeled I will recommend that all further updates be posted here. The other Upcoming Fan Missions thread can ease into the sunset... :)

Edit:

Oh!

You've thrown the original "Upcoming" thread a bone and will leave it alive. I will update there. (Must learn to read...)

Edited by nbohr1more

• 6 months later...

Thanks Sotha.

I've been skipping contest missions on the "Upcoming Fan Mission wiki" unless the authors claim that they are still working on them after the contest. If you want to add yours, be my guest. (not that you need my permission :laugh: )

BTW "authors"... we still have three "pending" Summer Vertical contest missions listed ;) ...

echo echo echo...

(I hope they reach completion...) :)

• 1 month later...

I think we have two small FMs that need completing. I'll review those and complete them if possible at some point. I know of another medium sized, good looking FM that I offered to complete but the author said he was resuming work on it which I'll chase up in a few months if I don't hear anything. I can't say more about that. Be tragic if that isn't finished.

I get that impression - that there are very promising missions that vanish. Like most mods vanish tragically without sharing assets. Is there any way we can encourage people who are thinking of abandoning a level to upload it in partial form / email to a forum friend so it could be released in a partial state or finished by a fellow FMer?

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I don't know. I've got a technology demo -> turned small environment -> turned med/large FM. Unfortunately, that only makes it a bunch of brushwork, and no good story to go with it. :( I hate cramming a story into an existing map.

Is there anyone experienced in FM building that wants a near-complete city with no real "mission"? <_<

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I get that impression - that there are very promising missions that vanish. Like most mods vanish tragically without sharing assets. Is there any way we can encourage people who are thinking of abandoning a level to upload it in partial form / email to a forum friend so it could be released in a partial state or finished by a fellow FMer?

actually you are right. According to wiki, lots of works already or will be abandoned since there is no news from any of them. I remember one of the team members was going to setp up a website for these assets, but I'm afraid that one also vanished tragically without sharing assets. :laugh:

or are we gonna have a surprise on this?;)

One problem is A and B might be willing to take over an abandoned FM but whereas B is would have completed it in a few weeks or months, A asks first so he gets to work on it. After his initial enthusiasm he fades away and the FM is forgotten for another year or so. (this has happened.)

So an abandoned FMs website needs some rules. For example:

Only keep a good description on the website not the actual file or everyone will download it and play what is there so it will lose any originality when finally released. An alternative is to put in plenty of documented leaks so most players won't play it but a serious developer can examine it in DR and quickly fix the leaks from a clear list.

Anyone taking over an abandoned FM must upload his work say monthly to a private website run by a few volunteers. If he does not submit within two months without explanation then it is regarded as abandoned again and the latest work is made available again.

Anyone who would be genuinely interested in the future but is too busy now can register his interest and when available.

Currently I'm too busy but I'd be glad of your city build Mortem if it is still available in 6 months or a year. Don't waste it! Every FM I've ever made had its story written after it was half built apart from a vague idea, eg, mansion heist FM.

MD, if no one else wants to do this I will be happy too!

-_-

Oh man - yes please! MD, throw this one at Bikerdude, you saw what a great job he did with Return To The City! =-3

@ Fidcal

Ah yes - I see what you mean about the difficulty in the "logistics" of people claiming another's work and then growing tired of it. I guess I was more thinking about whole mods dying out rather than the slightly more community - central cross pollination we get with FMs.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling