The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Fan Mission Lists: Released and Upcoming

SneaksieDave

• 1 month later...

I'll have to do what I did before and comb the "What are you working on" thread. It seems that all the recent entries were deemed to be "released shortly\soon"

so I didn't bother to add them. That "soon" has aged a bit for some projects so they would merit inclusion on the list.

In addition, there is an ongoing "Unusual Gameplay Contest" set to release missions on August 1st but authors are free to release these missions

in the interim (no penalty for early release).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

guys, are there any new FM's to be released? I have completed almost every FM so far, cant wait to try new ones.

Why not pick up DR and make your own while you wait for new stuff? It isn't very difficult once you get the hang of it...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Why not pick up DR and make your own while you wait for new stuff? It isn't very difficult once you get the hang of it...

+1 :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Heh.. Not to nitpick, but it is not programming nor game design.

It is mission design. Like creating a painting which you can walk inside. Like being a director and storyteller: your characters living and dying at your whim.

But yes, every FM author probably maps for different reasons. ;)

• Like 2

Clipper

Gonna make FM's? No way man, its nothing for me

Did you actually try it? Just corious.

Hmm, you guys make me wonder. I did try it back with Thief 2, but it was a major headache for me. I never tried it with the Dark Mod.

I never mapped for Thief-games, but mapping isn't very hard in TDM once you get the hang of it. Boxy room, corridor, visportal into corridor, boxy room. After that it is just details and entitywork.

Here is a A-Z tutorial:

http://wiki.thedarkm...ide_Start_Here!

Also, we have a bunch of regular veteran mappers right here at the forums to help out if any new mappers have some questions.

My first advice is to start small. Make a 1-5 room little mission to catch the basics. Too big mission as a first mission is really a bad decision as you'll bite more than you can chew. Make a good plan, start small, stick to the plan, increase ambitions once you have the experience and have released your first small mission.

• Like 1

Clipper

Well i am reading through it, dont count on anything yet :D

maybe in a few years you will stumble upon my name when a new mission has been released.

I do have some nice ideas for excellent missions, but thats it for now.

Great! Try DR out. That is all I could wish for.

Best of luck and do not hesitate to ask if you run into trouble. Veterans here will know the answer.

Clipper

If you do a very small mission, you can finish it in a few weeks. And small missions can still be great fun; think The Outpost or Too Late.

Thank you fellas, this must be the first time for me that people can convince me to do something :D

i am more a guy who is like " i dont know so i dont like it or i cant do it".

Springheel, you call those small? :D

My dream FM is about the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, you will play as a Turkish Jannissary who infiltrates Constantinople to search for maps and other evidence, based on real history. But... its a dream.

Edited by mukremin

Springheel, you call those small?

If you think about it, Too Late is only 6 or 7 rooms. Outpost is probably 8 or 9.

• 7 months later...

Would you guys be opposed to adding the community ratings from the FM-threads to the FM-table on the wiki? With over 70 missions, it becomes hard to decide which ones to play. Having the ratings available would surely help.

The ratings are non-standard. NHAT, for example, uses a 4-point scale. Others assign different names to different terms. I do not like my missions to be rated numberically. So all in all, that's a bit of a muddle.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

In addition whether or not a mission is enjoyable is very subjective, so I guess it's the best if gamers just play them all. This way they also don't have any expectations of what the mission is like and can't get displeased that easely.

• 3 weeks later...

We can add another two mission to the list, one is with Baal and the other is with Goldchocbo.

Dont ask for a release date/s, but suffice to say one is closer to release than the other.

@Springs, who is maintaining the list of released/to-be released in the OP? if no one, can you give me access to the OP so I can update it please.

ta.