The Dark Mod Forums

Help - can't start darkmod!

Samael

Hello,

I have Doom in the correctly patched version and i have directed the darkmod folder into the Doom 3 folder and i can also run the darmod by starting up Doom 3 and then clicking on the "mods" menu. But as soon as i start the mod, the normal Doom 3 load screen pops up where it says "initializing menues" and stuff like that and then all i get is the sound and a black screen. I can't even see the menu! I just get the cursor and the sound. Can anyone help me with that problem?

Check out this topic. A few other people had a "black menu" problem.

http://modetwo.net/d...een-on-startup/

Well I see that i'm supposed to change the format of some document in the training mission from 0 to 1 but the only data i find in the training_mission is "darkmod" , "readme" , "startingmap" and "training_mission.pk4" and in there i cant change what is said in the thread you showed me.

Hello,

I have Doom in the correctly patched version and i have directed the darkmod folder into the Doom 3 folder and i can also run the darmod by starting up Doom 3 and then clicking on the "mods" menu. But as soon as i start the mod, the normal Doom 3 load screen pops up where it says "initializing menues" and stuff like that and then all i get is the sound and a black screen. I can't even see the menu! I just get the cursor and the sound. Can anyone help me with that problem?

Do you use the Steam version by chance? Then please see here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Does_it_run_with_the_Steam_version_of_Doom_3.3F

You shouldn't need to "select the TDM mod", it should start up right away.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well after looking around in the topic that Mortem Desino showed me here i did what some user did there too and that was to uninstall Doom 3, reinstall it without Resurrection of Evil, patch it correctly and THEN put on darkmod and now it *seems* to be working. I'll post if anything still won't work.

Thanks for all your help.

Well now it's running and it's ok - I played the Training Mission and it worked alright, it didn't freeze while opening doors and it saved and loaded quite quickly.

But now i have started playing "Patently Dangerous" and when i save it takes more than 60 seconds and loading is equal to that or even longer. And since i have to fight some dude and i the combat system is driving me insane i have to load, and load and load...Any suggestions? I mean saving and loading worked perfect during the training mission. What do i have to do now?

I managed to ghost "Patently Dangerous": no kills, no KO's, no major alerts. There is a way to sneak past everyone.

At the moment, there's little you can do about combat, but go to the training mission and practice melee combat. It's stuck on "expert" mode when we rushed to release TDM. I suppose you could just type "god" in console and beat his butt with your sword if you get really frustrated.;)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Thinking laterally I'd say that in `Patently Dangerous' you do not need to fight anyone: the mission can completely be ghosted or played only using Jack the Black.

About the load problem: did you tested the unmmodded doom 3? Can you start a game play a little, and reload?

Usually doom 3 is slow on start and fast on reload. In your case it seems it is always slow. I was wondering if it was really a TDM problem.

Your reload time should only be a few seconds unless you've got the "270 mb savegame file" problem or if you've got less than 1gb of RAM. The old computer I'm using (2.4 single core, 1.5 gb ram, radeon 9600 AGP) quickloads Patently Dangerous in 4-7 seconds.

http://modetwo.net/d...ms/page__st__25 (around the 5th post of the second page, greebo links to an unofficial savegame fix)

Your reload time should only be a few seconds unless you've got the "270 mb savegame file" problem or if you've got less than 1gb of RAM. The old computer I'm using (2.4 single core, 1.5 gb ram, radeon 9600 AGP) quickloads Patently Dangerous in 4-7 seconds.

http://modetwo.net/d...ms/page__st__25 (around the 5th post of the second page, greebo links to an unofficial savegame fix)

Why thank you. I just downloaded this gamex86.dll file and put it in the darkmod folder and now i'll try if that will help it. My PC has 1 GB RAM and quick loading and saving worked as I said perfeclty on the Training Mission. Thanks i'll write again if it still doesn't work.

EDIT: Great. Now i tried the "Chalice" mission and i saved once or twice without any problems whatsoever it even saved quickly, but then i saved a third time and the game crashed and an icon popped up in the windows bar stating something about not having enough virtual memory(?). Whenever i start to load up that savegame the game just crashes. So what now?!

Edited by Samael

Well, virtual memory means that your computer has run out of free RAM and has started using hard drive space in place of extra RAM. "Not enough virtual memory" means that you've run out of RAM and it's used all the 'swap' space it's allowed on the hard drive.

I'm not on my developer computer, :( otherwise I would run your savegame through a debugger.

You mentioned before that the training mission "froze" when opening doors? What graphics card do you have?

Well, virtual memory means that your computer has run out of free RAM and has started using hard drive space in place of extra RAM. "Not enough virtual memory" means that you've run out of RAM and it's used all the 'swap' space it's allowed on the hard drive.

I'm not on my developer computer, sad.gif otherwise I would run your savegame through a debugger.

You mentioned before that the training mission "froze" when opening doors? What graphics card do you have?

Well I guess you're going to laugh - it's an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE. But i restarted the Chalice mission and saved a few times, overwriting the old savegames from that mission and lo! it worked. I completed the mission without any major malfunctions. I'll try Patently Dangerous sometime again but right now i don't feel like going through that abominable stress of a load-time again. Seems that it's only bad in that mission.