The Dark Mod Forums

Darkradiant in linux

etdarkb

Does anyone use Darkradiant in Linux?

I have so many small problems that I am thinking that it is simply unsupported... :(

A part of the `make room' problem today I reloaded a the test map to continue the tutorial and there were no walls at all.

I'll try installing Windows 2000 in VirtualBox and try there. Sigh...

Better idea: Wine.

To anyone that uses linux and darkradiant (I guess no-one):

Download the Win32 binaries of darkradiant.

Unpack it somewhere, in this explanation we say `~/darkradiant':

$ unzip darkradiant-1.0.2.zip -d ~/darkradiant

Make the directories wine/env inside the unpack directory.

$ mkdir -p ~/darkradiant/wine/env

Change those environment variables so wine uses those directories:

$ export WINEPREFIX="~/darkradiant/wine

$ export XDG_DATA_HOME="$WINEPREFIX"/env

Using winetricks download and install the needed libs:

$ winetricks -q tahoma corefonts vcrun2008

Finally make a small script that sets the environment and starts darkradiant:

#!/bin/sh

export WINEPREFIX=~/darkradiant/wine

export XDG_DATA_HOME="$WINEPREFIX"/env

export WINEDEBUG=-all

cd ~/darkradiant

wine DarkRadiant.exe

Here it is, I finally completed the first page of the tutorial without any side-effect.

Edited by etdarkb
  • Like 1

The point is that I do not want to be annoying, and the answer:

Make Room is working for me. Can somebody else confirm that there is a problem?

(The screenshots you posted look quite weird.)

Made me think that it was better to find an alternate way.

Moreover I am not sure why do you say so about Wine: I prefer a working darkradiant than one that does not save brushes... ;)

DR definitely did work on Ubuntu 8.04 on both my PC and laptop. I recently upgraded both of them, but did not have time to test it yet.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Moreover I am not sure why do you say so about Wine: I prefer a working darkradiant than one that does not save brushes... ;)

Well, he would say that because it doesn't solve anything. Sure, you get to use the windows version in Wine, but there must still be something under linux causing an issue that we are so far unable to find. Therefore it's an option, but far from a solution.

Seriously, I do not follow.

Most probably there is an incomprehension of what is the problem: I could not make any map since the editor does not work (does not save brushes and `make room command' goes crazy).

Using the Win32 version in Wine I can making maps: it is the whole reason of the thread second post. If anyone cannot make maps might try this.

Of course it does not help solving the bugs in the Linux version,

but since it seems I am the only user who has problems there is no enough reasons to seek the problem.

As they say: -the code is flawless: the problem is into your system. :)

According the answer of `Mod Hero' and since Ubuntu installs by default lots of stuff, while Archlinux does not, most probably the problem is that my system lacks some obscure dependency that are not verified during the ./configure.

Just glanced through this thread - Thought I'd throw in my experiences with the linux version.

Honestly, they've been flawless so far. I'm running Debian 5.0.3 (lenny), and I just used the version from the hardy repos. I figured it would probably not work right, but other that having to install an older version of libopenAL from etch's repository, it worked perfectly. Managed to build a quick room as per Fidcal's excellent tutorial without a hitch.

I really hope you continue to support the linux version, and I'm sure there are quite a few other linux users out there who agree with me (maybe)...

:)

• Like 1

There is hope, but not for us.

According the answer of `Mod Hero' and since Ubuntu installs by default lots of stuff, while Archlinux does not, most probably the problem is that my system lacks some obscure dependency that are not verified during the ./configure.

Ah, did you compile DR by yourself? I am just using the pre-compiled versions from the repository.

As for configure, did you maybe compile it without the TDM plugins? Did you get any errors during build? I am not a linux build expert, so I can't help you with specifics, but Orbweaver maybe can.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Of course it does not help solving the bugs in the Linux version,

That was my point. :) Using Wine is an option, but not a full solution. Hopefully it isn't a problem with the code, but chances are if you're system experiences the problem, another may down the road too...so it's nice to try and trouble shoot it as best we can. See if it's avoidable.

There's no problem using Wine to do your mapping. As I said, it's just that we want to see everything working as it should.