The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Trapped! by RailGun (2009/12/30)

RailGun

This mission was supposed to be released for the christmas contest but i didn't like how it turn out when i finished it. Still i thought it would be a waste to drop this FM so i made a few changes and here it is.

Thanks for Fidcal and Baddcog for taking the time to beta test this FM

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nog2eyjmzyn/trapped.pk4

Briefing: "I was hired to find a gang of thieves which have been stealing from some very important and wealthy merchants, the watch haven't been able to find them so the merchants have hired me to do the job.

Searching for them wasn't easy, i managed to track them down to an abandoned sewer system but it looks like they were expecting me and knocked me out. Now i'm locked up in some sort of basement, no doubt the reason i'm still alive is that he wants who hired me and how much i know about their operation.

I need to get out of here while i still can."

Note: You start the map with no equipment, in addition to the loot objetive the difficult levels change the location of the sword and blackjack, so expect forced ghosting on expert (if you don't like ghosting, play easy)

• Like 1

This mission was supposed to be released for the christmas contest but i didn't like how it turn out when i finished it. Still i thought it would be a waste to drop this FM so i made a few changes and here it is.

Thanks for Fidcal and Baddcog for taking the time to beta test this FM

Link: http://www.mediafire...zyn/trapped.pk4

Briefing: "I was hired to find a gang of thieves which have been stealing from some very important and wealthy merchants, the watch haven't been able to find them so the merchants have hired me to do the job.

Searching for them wasn't easy, i managed to track them down to an abandoned sewer system but it looks like they were expecting me and knocked me out. Now i'm locked up in some sort of basement, no doubt the reason i'm still alive is that he wants who hired me and how much i know about their operation.

I need to get out of here while i still can."

Note: You start the map with no equipment, in addition to the loot objetive the difficult levels change the location of the sword and blackjack, so expect forced ghosting on expert (if you don't like ghosting, play easy)

Exciting! Loading right now!

Played on Difficult, took me 59:45, 5 Pickpockets and 2220 loot (40 missing). I played without harming anybody, as usual, and again there were a lot of those sneaky moments in there. Good job. :)

I found that some chests were becoming unfrobable when closing them again in the ground floor quarters, but it didn't break the mission for me, luckily.

I cannot download this. can somebody host it elsewhere maybe SouthQuarter or the TDM main missions page please? I'm not sure why but I have not been able to download ANYTHING from mediafire recently. I'm in the states again now so I can't blame it on my location. anyway I hope this will get hosted elsewhere before next year so I can grab it before I have to get out to sea again.

thanks

I cannot download this. can somebody host it elsewhere maybe SouthQuarter or the TDM main missions page please? I'm not sure why but I have not been able to download ANYTHING from mediafire recently. I'm in the states again now so I can't blame it on my location. anyway I hope this will get hosted elsewhere before next year so I can grab it before I have to get out to sea again.

thanks

Here you go:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/pk4/fms/trapped.pk4

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I found that some chests were becoming unfrobable when closing them again in the ground floor quarters, but it didn't break the mission for me, luckily.

Pity I missed those when beta testing. Almost certainly no 'immune' on the lockpin lever thing which got removed when the pins where changed on the prefabs in Release 1 (now fixed on SVN.)

My ten cents: I see no reason why this couldn't have gone in the contest. I really enjoyed it. :) Still, glad it got released anyway.

Fantastic mission, I had a blast with this one and this is coming from someone that really doesn't enjoy prison break missions normally. Perfectly paced, great atmosphere and overall really solid. Thank you!

Review and screens here for anyone interested!

Great mission, while not as confined as Nelson's panic-fest, there were two occasions where ghosting-be-damned, those thugs got a good ol blackjack to the head, not that I had to or that it was the easy way out, it somehow(and this rarely happens) felt right to do it :)

A few guys getting stuck on furniture but nothing a little time didnt solve. All in all a good looking, solid gameplay fm.

Something I didnt quite figure out was the electric lights on the ground, tho they almost got me into trouble a few times with footsteps, minor issue.

Great mission, while not as confined as Nelson's panic-fest, there were two occasions where ghosting-be-damned, those thugs got a good ol blackjack to the head, not that I had to or that it was the easy way out, it somehow(and this rarely happens) felt right to do it :)

A few guys getting stuck on furniture but nothing a little time didnt solve. All in all a good looking, solid gameplay fm.

Something I didnt quite figure out was the electric lights on the ground, tho they almost got me into trouble a few times with footsteps, minor issue.

I may be wrong but I don't think those lights on the ground were supposed to appear 'lit' - I think thats a bug they are working on from what I've been told that makes unlit electric lights look lit up anyway.

I too got a feeling to hit something, so I pulled out my sword on two guards and I noticed that both were killed by one blow to the head although I played on difficult. I wonder why they were so easy. Some of the guards in the Trainingmission were a lot harder...

But that's no specific issue with this map, which was pretty nice. Liked the boarded doors and windows and all the destroyed stuff lying around. I had a minor problem frobbing these

two golden crosses behind the stone sculpture,

because of a too short frobdistance, but I got them in the end, so no biggie!! =)

Very nice mission...I think it was the first time in TDM that you've started without a blackjack !

Small bug (!?!) I don't know if this is a design flaw or something like that just happens.

I think somehow the guard and the rat are both interfering with the doors and thus blocking it and baoth are stuck!

shot00002q.th.png

I played this last night. completed on hard with a stealth score of 8 100% loot and a 100% kill rate. I loved the atmosphere and setting. the jail break itself was really cool and a great use of TDM's object handling. I think mission illustrates a problem with how broadhead arrows are handled. they do a lot of damage and can one-shot kill even the toughest enemies I have encountered yet if you hit them in the face or unarmored head. I don't really have a problem with the amount of damage but rather the fact that you can always retrieve your arrow after shooting a guy in the head. there were, what, seven AI in this mission? I killed everyone of them with a single broadhead. I don't think the mapper should have to rely on kill limits to control things like this. I think providing 5 arrows and 7 AI should ensure that the player will have to find some other way of dealing with 2 AI. besides in a mission like this one it would not make sense for there to be a kill limit or a kill forbiddence. it is my opinion that any time an arrow hits an AI it should break or if possible there should be a chance it breaks that way not all arrows are recoverable but you can get lucky sometimes.

I really enjoyed this mission, big thanks to Railgun for building it.

I'm usually not that violent, but it just felt right to kill them all once I got my sword back :rolleyes:

Great mission, had several near hart attacks!

Komag, I think a percentage chance of arrow destruction on retrieval attempt would be perfect. would be even better if there was some way we could tweek it at the mapper level but not the user level. maybe make it a property of the arrow itself. what ever the answer is I think SOMETHING needs to be done about the broadheads to limit them a little more but only just a little bit.

could it be set up as an arrow property so that when the mission is built the mapper can set something like "Destroy on retrieval: (yes, no, or x% chance)"? is that even possible? seems like the perfect answer as the mapper could make arrows act the way that works for his mission.