The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Trapped! by RailGun (2009/12/30)

RailGun

Just played... I did not actually liked it much, once you get an arrow back it becomes extremely easy if you want to kill, if you do not want you just lose a little time to get your blackjack upstairs. :S

On the other hand, the area gives well the idea of a reclaimed dungeon, and visually it is nice.

Thank you very much for this mission!

Thief without weapons is much more intensive and scary than just hitting heads with blackjack.

The only minor issue I've seen is the one already mentioned by SneakyJack in his review: Two guards got stuck facing each other. It happened at the upper floor in the room where blackjack was. I had to make big noise to return them to the patrol.

Little graphic problem, i don't know if it is related to this specific mission or TDM shading/lighting management in general:

problemhy.th.jpg

Why the wood part of the bed is black and not enlighted by the candle?

The pillows are.....correctly!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I really liked the way you built this mission. It wasn't really difficult to ghost it but the atmosphere was tense. I really had the feeling I was a prisoner and had to get back my stuff and escape and not just a lousy burglar that robs some equipment. I found a few graphical errors but that wasn't a really big deal. A few more guards would have made it a bit more difficult, but maybe that would have caused more errors as well, because it's very small in there. There was a lot of debris and that really gave me the feeling that I was in a secret hideout. There weren't a lot of readables around but you solved that by telling it a bit more in a graphical way, in my opinion. I completed it within half an hour and missed about 100 loot. All in all a great addition to the rest of the FMs

Little graphic problem, i don't know if it is related to this specific mission or TDM shading/lighting management in general:

problemhy.th.jpg

Why the wood part of the bed is black and not enlighted by the candle?

The pillows are.....correctly!

Are you using the 'enhanced' or 'standard' interaction shader from the video menu? Also, what video card do you have?

This map is looks really good, nice dirty :laugh: also a bit like a cave sometimes- I have missed like 200 loot on difficult, maybe because my lcd is set to dark, sometimes I have to concentrate to see anything, but i kind a like it that way. The gamplay was pretty solid. too bad you did not finish it, only made it playable, but still a nice little mission.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Are you using the 'enhanced' or 'standard' interaction shader from the video menu? Also, what video card do you have?

GeForce GTX260 with ForceWare 195.81!

Interaction Shaders -> High Quality

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Same problem, as you can see here:

48109808.th.jpg49424528.th.jpg

In the first one there's a bit of light, in the second one no light at all.

Imho it's a problem with the minimum light radius of the candle.....under a certain distance there's no light!

Edited by lowenz

I'll have a look at the material in question and see if its not something wrong there, looks like a driver issue however.

It's not a shading problem, but a problem with the shadow volume.....or it seems so.

Edited by lowenz

hi, i have some pretty big issues with this fm. after finishing too late and the parcel without incident, i installed your fanmission, and the whole mod went haywire. performance is awful, the menu buttons seem broken, whie hovering over them i get flashing screens, seemingly broken fonts etc. after reloading other fms the problem persisted. any idea what happened?

i just did a few tests, and it seems very related to this fm. i reinstalled the darkmod, ran every mission properly released so far once in a pristine darkmod, and once in a darkmod with graphics settings adjusted to my liking. only with this fm did i experience the glitches on custom gfx-mode. and all i did was change the resolution to 1680x1050.

EDIT: apologies. it seems, changing the res in a naked darkmod produces the same issue (however with none of the older missions this problem occured).

Edited by nxxs

Really really FUN mission, RailGun! :-)

Thanks for sharing!

I liked a lot the map architectural side.

Congratulation and continue to work on other maps! :)

Edited by Ladro

I haven't read all the posts yet as I'm only half-way through the mission, but damn Railgun, you really should have entered this. Other than a hard to swallow set-up to the story, the mission itself has been *awesome*. The gameplay is great, and the place looks incredible. I've only played two other Xmas missions, but this certainly holds its own against both of them, and may even beat them (IMO). I would have rated it quite highly.

For the very first time EVER playing a mission, I actually heard AI greet each other, twice! I can't describe how tickled I was to hear them interact. I also had an AI who had spotted me warning others about an intruder, which I hadn't seen much before either.

One odd, semi-serious bug I encountered was an AI who made no noise when he walked (at least not in the wooden bedroom I was in). He was the one that caught me too, and I wonder if that played a part. Also, in that same bedroom, I had the unfrobbable chest bug.

Anyway, really enjoying this one so far!

This mission was a lot of fun and looked excellent! (Maybe this will finally put to rest the "TDM is too clean" naysayers) Could have used a few more readables but I understand Railgun wanted to be done with it. The AI patrols were great IMO, just the right length so it took some effort to learn them, but not overly complex. I ended up with 58:13 time, no KOs, 5 pickpockets, 2025/2260 (missed some loot apparently). I also saw those chests becoming unfrobable when closed.

I loved it when that one guard sat down in the chair at the desk and relaxed for a while. After sitting alone at a desk while staring at a wall for a minute, he eventually said "She'll be back for more." :laugh:

Mod-wise, we might have to make the door opening/closing sound have a larger falloff radius. A few times I was in a room that didn't seem that big, yet I couldn't hear the doors opening/closing at all maybe 10-15 ft away. It's nice to hear the doors, especially if you're well lit and want to hide quickly as soon as the door opens.

I finally had an opportunity to play this. Defining moment:

picking open a thug's chest, eating his apples and neatly putting the apple cores back.

Childish? Childish. Fun? Way too much. :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Same problem, as you can see here:

48109808.th.jpg49424528.th.jpg

In the first one there's a bit of light, in the second one no light at all.

Imho it's a problem with the minimum light radius of the candle.....under a certain distance there's no light!

I just tested it myself with both render settings, and both have screwy rendering going on on this model.

It turns out that the reason is the vertex-normals - the LWO Format does not have Vertex-Normal per se, but derives them from the smoothing-settings of the materials.

One of those settings was dialed a little too high, causing angles over 90 degrees to be smoothed, which causes the screwy rendering of the wall there.

Here's what it looks like with a fixed model. ( High Quality Settings )

bedmodelfixed.th.jpg