The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Trapped! by RailGun (2009/12/30)

RailGun

i just did a few tests, and it seems very related to this fm. i reinstalled the darkmod, ran every mission properly released so far once in a pristine darkmod, and once in a darkmod with graphics settings adjusted to my liking. only with this fm did i experience the glitches on custom gfx-mode. and all i did was change the resolution to 1680x1050.

EDIT: apologies. it seems, changing the res in a naked darkmod produces the same issue (however with none of the older missions this problem occured).

Is that a wide screen resolution?

Does anyone know if that type of widescreen resolution would cause problems?

It is 16:10 widescreen, I use it pretty much all the time, there is a slight niggle :

Sometimes after installing a new fm it will change the res to some strange res, I dont quite know what it is, its quite low. To fix this I do the following:

1. Go to options
  2. Change res (even tho it says 1680x1050, change it to something low)
  3. Restart TDM (close/open normally)
  4. Change res to 1680x1050, make sure aspect is correct
  5. Restart TDM
  6. It should now be correct

Edited by Serpentine

Also looks like he is getting the default doom 3 font problem too.

I've gotten that problem with the FMs almost every time I start the game from a saved game. If I start the mission from scratch, I can reload saves as much as I want without the problem, but if I load up TDM and start with a saved game, I get the default font seemingly every time. Can't figure it out, but it's clearly not lack of RAM.

I loved it when that one guard sat down in the chair at the desk and relaxed for a while. After sitting alone at a desk while staring at a

wall for a minute, he eventually said "She'll be back for more." :laugh:

I had a funny moment with exactly the same guy! He seemed to be staring at the goblet on his desk for a while, then said, "I'll drink horse piss before I'll drink that again." :laugh:

Mod-wise, we might have to make the door opening/closing sound have a larger falloff radius. A few times I was in a room that didn't seem that big, yet I couldn't hear the doors opening/closing at all maybe 10-15 ft away.

I had the exact same issue, and I agree it should be adjusted.

Anyway, finished this and *really* enjoyed it. The gameplay was excellent, and I didn't even mind the lack of story. For some reason, I seemed to get a much greater range of AI barks than normal. Another funny moment...a guard walked away for a moment, I shot out a torch, and then he walked back into the now darkened space. He looked over at the torch and said, "I've got a bad feeling about this shift." :laugh:

Mod-wise, we might have to make the door opening/closing sound have a larger falloff radius. A few times I was in a room that didn't seem that big, yet I couldn't hear the doors opening/closing at all maybe 10-15 ft away.  It's nice to hear the doors, especially if you're well lit and want to hide quickly as soon as the door opens.

I agree, but I also think that the falloff radius of AI sounds is in general a little too low. I can never localize an AI by it's footsteps because I simply don't hear them, while in T2, the sound of the footsteps was all a thief needed. On marble floors I can still hear them, but everything other than that is damn quiet. So aside from raising the falloff radius, it'd maybe be worth trying to normalize the AI footstep sounds a little bit, so that the more quiet AI sounds will become a little louder.

There was actually a bug in this map where some AI weren't making footstep noises at all. I kind of felt the same though, that the footsteps could be louder...most of our pre-release testing was in smaller maps, so it wasn't a problem.

I also wonder if part of the problem was the ambient music being so loud? I think many of our ambients need the volume turned down.

We'll sort out good values eventually. :)

The ambient around the General's room was my only real issue with the map. Really enjoyed it - good use of readables for clues and well hidden gold making the difficulty for loot feel rewarding.

Oh, I did get guards stuck a few times... but I think thats more of a TDM issue than the map itself... I should really have a look at writing code instead of my terrible map ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I played this mission a couple of weeks ago and just wanted to tell that I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was very good. I remember too the blocking AI´s by the double-door in the middle of the first floor, if I remember right. And they didn´t unstuck as I came back 20 minutes or so later.

But I really liked it and will play it again soon to train my stealth skills.

As I read the first posts I was wondering how one can get a stealth score of 8 by killing everyone? (I always get zero) At least on dying the AI should know that there is someone.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 8 months later...

Just tried this mission with v1.04 of DarkMod, won't work just locks the game up with a white cursor and the crash report screen. I can't even get the mouse to move until I CTRL+ALT+Delete then after a few more seconds, ALL the mouse inputs since the crash come back and the mouse goes all over the screen.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 1 month later...

Hey Railgun, glad you released this!

Even if you don't think it's perfect I had a lot of fun playing it - I enjoyed the sense of claustrophobia in being trapped with a bunch of crooks - well, crooks in addition to our protagonist. =-P

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, i can't believe it has been more two years since i released this mission, time really does fly :P

To be honest i was always suprised that people liked this mission because for me it always felt unfinished, but maybe i was too hard on myself

Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments!!, i'm glad people had fun with this mission

• 7 months later...

Fixed at this mirror, I will have Biker update the others.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/doseo0m7wsx40xy/trapped.pk4

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/doseo0m7wsx40xy/trapped.pk4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 9 months later...

I really liked Trapped!

It was nice to have a level full of only dirty thieves that I had no remorse killing. Oh wait...I'm a dirty thief too :huh:

Memorable part:

Having a dilapidated brick wall that I could take apart and escape through was really cool!

Suggestion: I think the mission could use a few more enemies.

Edited by SirGen

• 2 months later...

Just finished this mission on difficult.

Things I liked:

+Very tense mission (in a good way).

+Just right amount of guards.

+Just right amount of loot necessary to complete the Expert objective!

+Premisse is very interesting.

+Very cool and movie like way of escaping the cell.

+I liked that statue with no head lol

+ http://imageshack.us...7/6816/xg66.jpg

http://imageshack.us...9/6418/9ez3.jpg

Aren't they cute?

+Nice possibility of change of pace when getting the sword and blackjack.

Things I disliked:

-No loading screen related image? You could use this first screenshot: http://www.thedarkmo...tails.php?id=10

-I started in my cell, the guard saw me and started to attack me. Doesn't make sense.

-There are dozens of swords but I can pick up just one. This really bothered me.

I mean, why can I pick this sword...http://imageshack.us...0/7838/fg6o.jpg

...but not this? http://imageshack.us...2/2995/xwg8.jpg

-Suggestion: It would be very nice if there were a journal somewhere, adding more background story to the mission.

Bug report:

http://imageshack.us...3/2444/lrob.jpg

Guard stuck in the torch.

Overall, I had a fun time with this FM.

Thank you!

Edited by Jon Irenicus