The Dark Mod Forums

Request For A Lightgem

Springheel

TYROT has a little too much on his plate right now, so he's asked that I assign the lightgem to someone else. Here's what we need:

A lightgem model based on the first design on the page:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=703&hl=

The design should stay fairly close to this, although there is room for modification. Specifically, the gap between the outer ring and the lightgem isn't necessary. Adding certain design elements from either oDDity's or Atti's model would be fine.

The gem and the compass should be modeled separately, even though they should look like one model when on screen. The gem will have 16 different textures (from light to dark).

The metal parts should be textured in a dark and rough fashion, like oDDity's version on the page above. Only one spike (the North one) should remain smooth and shiny.

The gem itself should be very similar to Oofnish's version, as everyone quite liked this look.

Any takers? Now that Spar has the lightgem more or less working, it would be great to have the actual model in-game.

dear Spring

Goddamn it .. i never left any job before in the middle..But this lightgem is making me crazy....It s still making me crazy but im gonna work on it just for once more..for tonight..if i dont add any image here that means ..im not capable of completing other's model..

BEST

Ty, you don't have to actually work with his file...you could make your own version using that image as your reference.

Wow, that was fast! :)

The things I like: The idea of clasps holding the gem. The dark colour of the metal. The basic shape of the compass. The shape of the gem. The angle of the two combined.

Suggestions for improvement: The sharp lines and edges, particularly in the detailing, give it a very science-fiction feel. I think most of the detailing could be removed, and the overall design simplified. Remember this will take up about an inch of screen space, so you don't need much. The texture of the compass could be roughed up too, to suggest old metal (see oDDity's example for a good texture).

Also, I don't know if it's the angle, but the two clasps closest to us seem smaller than all the other ones.

I hate making criticisms when I know you've been wrestling with this thing for ages. :(

That's the best gem yet TYROT, and we've all had a go knocking one up.

I'd like to see the transition from dark to light though, maybe yoiu could make a .gif of it, or a movie of some kind.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear team

i knew it was gonna happen again..Im not gonna work on this model anymore..It s almost impossible to please everyone about lightgem, cuz we all have different gems in our minds..

Im uploading one another version...Im not gonna change or model or even touch it..Take it or leave it deal..Someone else can continue on the lightgem..i got other stuff to do..

BEST

post-5-1106402109.jpg

I don't know what your problem is. The first model looks very good. Just the dark gem is to dark. That's all. So upload that model and it's ok.

Somehow I get really annoyed with this lightgem stuff. We have now six models and none of the modelers can make it into the game? Any version of it? What's up with you? :angry:

Maybe it would be helpfull if one of the modelers would stick to the existing models and make it game ready, instead of each moder needing to do his own version.

Gerhard

dear SPAR

Nothing is wrong with me..:I was trying to pull myself out of lightgem discussion..

I told you i cant continue on someone else's model..i forced myself seriously ..That s the only thing i can come up with...

But look at responses Im not saying it s uber cool....But when im trying to make something in Builder's fashion it s end up with sci-fi..

YOu guys decide which model you like..Im not gonna remodel this AT ALL. YOu are loving soemthing, spring doesnt love, oddity loves, BT doesnt...Im sick of this Shit..That s why im not gonna change it..It s utterly useless discussion...Probably for the first time we will END up with MOST CUSTOMIZABLE game ever...

Our gamer will Choose his Lightgem, Helmets, Arrows....

Yes spar it s damn easy to make it Just as you wish...But we started to discuss about model itself..so .. after a decision, i will or someone else will make the CORRECT lighting response(this is the easiest part) and animation.

BT you can change the textures as you wish i dont have any problem with that..

BEST

If modelers would do their job, instead of always creating some new object, because they feel that they can't work on a model which is tainted by another modeler, then we wouldn't have 16 lightgems. And the next one who picks up the lightgem again will do another version? Because he can't be bothered to finish such a simple task, which is going against his dignity. If we coders would code like you model, then we would write the entire game dll from scratch every time a new coder enlists because he feels he can't accept any code that is not done by him.

Gerhard

dear SPAR

1- Code and art is 2 different things.. art is an individual process (there are no group of painters or composers) But in this kind of team we are trying to do our best...Please happy with that..

2- We have stucked because WE didnt have a GUI CONCEPT ART..Springheel will draw something and we will move from that CONCEPT art..

3- Im uploading another angle..for you to see the model...

4- It s not related with dignity. I dont take over other's model.It s not my principle otherwise you would have recieved many models based on oDDity's template..

I have tried to do it just for you to see another option..This thing will be in the screen..It must be damn cool..and even animating..

5- COME to IRC!

BEST

post-5-1106408977.jpg

I think it actually looks quite sexy. The texture might need to be altered slightly to rough up the metal but as far as the color goes, I think it looks great! I also think the angle in that mockup pic is damn near bang on as well. It's dark and stealthy looking.

Lets do it folks. Lets get that sucker in there. :)

Yeah, with some of the detailing removed, and at that size, it looks much better. One thing, Tyrot, can we see what it looks like with just the gem? Remember that players wil have an option to have that compass part not be visisble, so the gem needs to look good on it's own too.

BT, what do you think? Can you come up with a nice, roughed-up metal texture for this?