The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Living Expenses by Sonosuke (2010/01/02)

Sonosuke

Well I finally had the time to play your mission after finishing my own. It was a wonderful FM! When walking through the mansion you see that you've put a lot of time in decorating each and every room. You have a real good feeling for it, something I don't have yet, and I'm a bit jealous ;). The story was good as well and all the other readables were fun to read. I liked the fact that some of them weren't even story related and gave me a feeling that there were other people living there as well and not just the general with his wife. The best part was snatching the diamond, I really started to think, alright what would I do in this room and then the whole ceremony began :), wonderful! The only thing that wasn't so good was the performance. I don't have a great pc but I could play all the FM's without any major stuttering. I did have them quite a lot in this one and not only outside. Upping the performance is really difficult (I know) but it would have made this FM near perfect. I hope that you'll continue to release FMs because this one was already great, super nice job!

• 2 weeks later...

I found the architecture (all theses small caches ready for servant who want to steal from their master) rather strange and some rooms might had more npc

I'dd love to have seen the wife in her room or wandering from her room and the baby cot as example...

. but the mission is otherwise really good and enjoyable. I found it quite enjoyable to sneak behind the guy in the first library right after you get in to steal the goodswithout playing with your blackjack...

the way you hid lot of the usefull item seemd quite natural, like the lamp or the spyglass...

Iplayed in easy so I missed this whle ceremony feature... I guess I'll play it on harder just to see that :ph34r:

lol, I first entered the safe and was "WTF it's totally empty" after investigating a bit more

good job otherwise, that mission is great and it's really enjoyable(damn I'm starting to say that all FM were great... my opinion seems rather pointless... but I actually really think all the mission I played were great (I guess thats what happens after you've tried thief3...)

Edited by elwing

I found the architecture (all theses small caches ready for servant who want to steal from their master) rather strange and some rooms might had more npc

I'dd love to have seen the wife in her room or wandering from her room and the baby cot as example...

(damn I'm starting to say that all FM were great... my opinion seems rather pointless... but I actually really think all the mission I played were great (I guess thats what happens after you've tried thief3...)

Sonosuke would have certainly done that if the models were available but unfortunately that's not the case yet.

Regarding that all the FMs are great, they just are :). But still there are missions that are golden and others that are not, but still great of course. You really have to pay attention to the little details and the whole atmosphere of each FM, but the overall quality of the FMs is great.

Gees, I'm not having very good luck figuring things out in the last few missions. <_<

I was loving this one right up to the point where I got into the secret vault room. But there's absolutely nothing in there. I can't see any hints about where this diamond might be, other than perhaps his wife found it. As far as I know I've been everywhere in the map. What am I missing?

Gees, I'm not having very good luck figuring things out in the last few missions. <_<

I was loving this one right up to the point where I got into the secret vault room. But there's absolutely nothing in there. I can't see any hints about where this diamond might be, other than perhaps his wife found it. As far as I know I've been everywhere in the map. What am I missing?

Hmm... I really should have add this to the readables.

close the vault door

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Wow, I have to say that overall, this mission was excellent. Had I not had the problem with the last vault, I would have rated the gameplay as absolutely outstanding. I loved the sneaky way of getting in, and I also really liked having to find your equipment scattered around.

There was a great variety in AI and the patrols were challenging. The mansion looked pretty good, for the most part (the dining room and rooms with the fountains in particular), and did feel larger than it was, as greebo mentioned. Nice to hear the drunk vocals, too. :) The readables were generally good and created a good tone for the level...I loved the bit about

the guard being visited by the brother at night.

Some little touches, like the

opening ceiling

, were excellent, and the water effects were absolutely fantastic! I had no idea flowing water could even look that good in TDM. :)

A few critiques for next time:

The vault thing did spoil the ending a bit for me. It was really cool once I saw it, but there was no way I would think to

close the door on my own

without any clues.

Some of the architecture didn't make a lot of sense. The stone stairs in

the guard barracks had no support, and that weird series of rooms you could climb the ladder to in the attic also seemed strangely random.

One of the guards in the

room with the glass ceiling

had his head twisted at a weird angle. No one else seems to have mentioned this...was it only me?

The music issue was annoying, but that's a mod thing; not your fault.

Overall, very, very enjoyable. Thanks for making it! :)

Hilarious moments:

I saw the guard sitting down in the dining room just past the barracks go through a door a few times, saw that it was dark and that's all I could tell. I opened the door trying to follow him wherever he was going, and we both got a scare when I surrpised him on the toilet. :) He didn't chase after me so he must've thought the door just blew open.

exactly.gif The guard in the dining room is a nice surprise. I thought he's leaving the room for a patrol in a hallway, but when I opened the door he was busy. :laugh:

Edited by id3839315

Hey raymeld,

The issue is most likely linked to a specific material that is used on some pillar models, as far as I know it has been corrected for the next version but in the mean time some people have had success updating their graphics card drivers.

Give that a spin if you arnt already using the latest :)

Have the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon HD4350. Rest of system is AMD Phenom 8600 Triple core 2.30 Ghz on win 7 64 bit and 2 gb Ram. So it seems I won't be able to complete this mission then . Freezes near kitchen and also room with servant on bed after exit from vent. As others seem to have played the mission successfully , presume all it depends on graphics card / system you have. It's the only mission to date I've had real problems with, was fine with St Lucia etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic mission, I really enjoyed it! Gameplay (on difficult) and visuals were excellent. Probably the best mansion I've seen outside of the original T1 missions in the multi-level design and architecture. The secrets were well done and fun to find. There wasn't a lot of story until near the end, but no complaints there either. Thanks for making this!

• Like 1

Have the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon HD4350. Rest of system is AMD Phenom 8600 Triple core 2.30 Ghz on win 7 64 bit and 2 gb Ram. So it seems I won't be able to complete this mission then . Freezes near kitchen and also room with servant on bed after exit from vent. As others seem to have played the mission successfully , presume all it depends on graphics card / system you have. It's the only mission to date I've had real problems with, was fine with St Lucia etc.

As soon as I know what it is, i would make a version for you but I don't know.

Fantastic mission, I really enjoyed it! Gameplay (on difficult) and visuals were excellent. Probably the best mansion I've seen outside of the original T1 missions in the multi-level design and architecture. The secrets were well done and fun to find. There wasn't a lot of story until near the end, but no complaints there either. Thanks for making this!

Thank you for your kind words

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

• 1 month later...

Well, i might be a little late, but i wanted to say i love this mission. Definitely my personal winner (though of course Return to the City is badass as well) and the best Darkmod mission I've played so far. It is full of very creative ideas. Love how you get into the story near the end. The "diary" way of story tellling is really nothing new anymore, but you managed to keep it believable.

One last point: Great use of music! Especially in the last room I was so confused and puzzled when there was really nothing and the music stopped playing.

Keep up the good work. :-)

Edited by Land-Vogt
  • Like 1

Deleted

Edited by Sonosuke

• 2 months later...

Finally I played this mission the first time tonight and I was quite surprised by the quality. I didn´t suspect so much Fun after NHAT. But it was very good. The way in, the design inside, patrol routes (though a little short, but I have to remember this is a 2 month built mission).

But I could only find 1473 GP of loot! I read here of diamonds under the barracks stairs and a secret objective button under the chair (I moved the chair but only looked in the now accessible shelf, damn, so near) and something near the big statue. But I guess there is even more to find. Could someone please tell me some hints? I really looked hard, but ok, I should play again. (In fact I have to play the german version) And I think I missed a lot of readables. I only found the one from wine/beer-drinking guard, the wife talking about her new room and the master talking about his gem and that the key is not ready yet. Where is the rest?

It seems this mission is a lot darker than the other missions. Then again, NHAT was very bright for my taste so I played around with 'lightScale' and set it to 1.3. On this mission I changed it back to 2 and I don´t want it brighter, I like it near black in areas where guards can´t see me but this way it´s hard to see the secrets in this mission it seems...

I had no problems in finding my stuff but I must say that I don´t like to collect my stuff that should be in the inventory in the first place. I hope it won´t be this way on your next mission. wink.gif And it was frustrating to find the blackjack, but not to be able to use it!

The Vault was really cool. Normally I have the habit to close doors right behind me but as I got into the vault I was so stunned by it´s emptiness that I forgot to close the door. But somehow as I wanted to exit again I closed the door first. As I remember right I wanted just to see if there is a handle on this site because while picking the door the lock-position seemed a little out of place from what I was able to hear, ahem, what was I talking about? I guess I wanted to say that it was a really damn good surprise to see a secret lever visualizing out of nowhere and then the cool lightshow and cool music that lead me to the gem. That was real Entertainment! smile.gif

But it seemed a little unrealistic that there was no sign of this moving bars on the ground and walls. This signs could have been a very good hint I think.

I too got stuck by the pillows or what this is on the roof and on the elevator riding up. Thank the Master Builder (John Carmack) for Noclip 1! :D And as we speak of pillows, these little soft things were missing on all beds I saw.

As for the problem with the lantern light in the vent: the wiki tells about the lantern is set on the belt, so shouldn´t be the light coming from this height instead from (out of) the head?

So overall this was one of the better missions I played so far (but still there are some left to play for me) and I hope you´ll make an updated version of it with the house wife, more halls with patroling guards and maybe this little cityride home you talked about in the future. Because the atmosphere is this mission was really great! (I played without reloading because of the disappearing music bug, and the ghost objective added even more tension but it was great fun in the end cause I always had to be sure that no one will get in my way)

• Like 1

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hi LEGION, i think you have missed the

little place in the staircase, you need the lantern to see it

So overall this was one of the better missions I played so far (but still there are some left to play for me) and I hope you´ll make an updated version of it with the house wife, more halls with patroling guards and maybe this little cityride home you talked about in the future. Because the atmosphere is this mission was really great! (I played without reloading because of the disappearing music bug, and the ghost objective added even more tension but it was great fun in the end cause I always had to be sure that no one will get in my way)

I am glad you had fun with my map but there wont be an updated version or anoter map.

...or another map.

Sonsuke! Long time no see/hear. I was hoping you were quietly making another map this whole time... :(

Sorry to hear it's not so.

Hope everything is well.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

• 6 months later...

Anyone have a screenshot of the

first fountain

in the entry room? I feel like it looks different in 1.03, but I don't have any earlier reference pics.

Anyone have a screenshot of the

first fountain

in the entry room? I feel like it looks different in 1.03, but I don't have any earlier reference pics.

Here!

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8941/shot00001ms.jpg

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...