The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Living Expenses by Sonosuke (2010/01/02)

Sonosuke

In the words of the long-lost author... ph34r.gif

;-) well I am not lost but thank you for answer questions here. I am still around from time to time and voting on moddb for this mod and such things.

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Ok, this seems to be a good opportunity to give my thanks to the people who made Darkmod, since I have made this map, my life was becoming better and better. Before that, I was kinda lost, nothing to do, and I had no goal in my life. I have learnd that if I dont give up and give my best, things can change.

Wow, that's cool! Really glad to hear it.

NBohr ought to get out the old interview fedora, pen and paper...

Edited by Aprilsister

• 1 month later...

First I will say that I do like this mission. Going without the blackjack and other equipment for a while was pretty fun and I like the way a lot of the rooms were decorated.

I also loved what you did with the safe at the end. Seeing the walls of the safe move like that and the jewel being lowered into place was all sorts of awesome. As a long time Myst fan I like seeing cool machines like this in maps. Just getting to see that work was more than enough reward for messing around trying to figure out what to do.

There was one thing that really didn't like about this FM though. Keep in mind this could be more of a personal pet peeve of mine and it could be rather subjective.

Whenever I play a game involving a house or other building I have a habit of thinking about whether the building in question would "work". The rooms themselves look nice to be sure, but the way the rooms are arranged does not feel right to me. I think the problem is that it doesn't feel like it could function well as a home and that kept bothering me at the back of my head for the whole mission.

To mention a few more specific examples, there seems to be only one poorly lit and narrow stairway to get to the second floor, you have to pass through the dining hall to get to the library, and the master bedroom seemed unusually far from everything else.

Now that's not to say that other FMs don't have problems in this regard, but somehow I thought it was really noticable in this particular FM.

On the other hand, I'm not an architect so I could be wrong about this.

I really liked this FM overall and I think the positive things I mentioned above more than make up for the layout issue.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paul, thanks for your opinion. Nice to see that some people are still playing my mission.

Yeah the layout is a bit strange because the first room I have build was the storage room near the library. Every room after that was growing out from that storage. One of the last things I have build was the vent, that was fun^^

btw, did you try "Trapped!" by Railgun yet? Its a really cool mission, you should not miss it.

see ya

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

• 3 months later...

hi people ...... I now have 1978 loot ..... I pressed the switch in the space of general ... and the bottom of the first storey of the statue, I pressed the button too, but I can not find this secret room .... sorry for the bad english ^ ^ i used google tanslater

hi people ...... I now have 1978 loot ..... I pressed the switch in the space of general ... and the bottom of the first storey of the statue, I pressed the button too, but I can not find this secret room .... sorry for the bad english ^ ^ i used google tanslater

Hello MK, sorry for the late answer.

Go to the little library (the next room), where the General's brother is, you can see a picture that has moved to the side.

If you need more help just ask!

I do not see a picture that moves sideways? I've searched all the pictures? what am I doing wrong? can you send me a screenshot .... do you mean the little library room of general?? The general has a brother xD?

Not so complicated, if you push the button on the statue (on the butt) just go to the next room (thru the stone doorframe) there is a picture at the end of the room that will move to the side.

I hope that helps

• 6 months later...

A updated version is out, but only with small fixes, if you have played it already you wont see anything new.

I missed this mission, but now after the update I played it first time. I must say:

This is one of the best Dark Mod missions I've played yet!

It has the thief-atmosphere like The House Of Theo had. It has very nice visuals. It has good gameplay. It has good story. It's awesome! Congratulations on this one Sonosuke (I first thought you were japanese but you're an Österreicher ^^).

I recently recommended it for my 5 favourite missions. Keep on the good work for the next mission (don't experiment too much, this is really good!).

Only thing where I needed help was finding the special delivery. It wasn't obvious to close the door so that the diamond spawns. Maybe a LITTLE hint in the diary had been necessary.

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Danke dir! Atm, there are no plans for a new map, because I dont really have time. (need to learn some things for Virtual Basic, learning for MS certificates...)

@Spoiler: Yeah I dont know why I did not change it on the update.

Edit: actually I am glad you did not play it with the music-bug, a mission without ambiant sound is like... idk... Skyrim without dragons^^

Edited by Sonosuke

I thought I would play it again to see if I could spot the changes (I didn't) but on opening the console when upstairs in the sectret room where the diamond is I got this result which remained after I left the area and remained even after a restart and loading a save game

post-8491-0-66835500-1326665968_thumb.jpg

on opening the console when upstairs in the sectret room where the diamond is I got this result which remained after I left the area and remained even after a restart and loading a save game

I think this has something to do with the sleeping AI that are falling through the floor, sometimes it happens mostly not. How did you notice it? Did you get bad fps, a crash or something?

I thought I would play it again to see if I could spot the changes (I didn't)

As I said on post nr. 109 at this topic:

"An updated version is out, but only with small fixes, if you have played it already you wont see anything new."

but I will put it on the first post.

Edited by Sonosuke

I opened the console to find the last bit of loot - there was no effect on performance at all

Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone! (This is my first reply on this forum.) After playing about a dozen of very enjoyable dark mod missions, my first problem occurred with Living Expenses. I can't play this mission, because after the loading screen the game crashes. - Tips for making it work are welcome!

As Lord Duffords is also causing a mysterious crash, I'd like to ensure that there's no common element.

Are you using a localization other than "English" ?

Did you download the latest version from the Mission Downloader tool?

Are you using a 64bit Windows OS? If so, have you tried the "4GB patch" from ntcore per the FAQ:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Getting_.22Malloc_Failure_for_.23.23.23.23.23.23.23.22_crash-to-desktop

Also, ensure that texture compression is enable per the following cvars in your DoomConfig.cfg

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useAllFormats "1"

seta image_useCompression "1"

seta image_preload "1"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 4 months later...

You should really use the german version of the map but actually I dont really care anymore

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great mission, its just long enough to have a bit of fun. I liked the layout eventhough I kind of see how it doesn't seem quite realistic. That jewel is wow, how that display looks is just wonderful.. decent story and gameplay was fairly challenging with the patrolling guards so I don't have any issues given with limited environment you did well here. The appearance of the whole place was pretty good. It's just one of those missions thats worth playing just for the ending alone.

• 10 months later...

+Readables are good and interesting.

+Entering by the vent was cool and very thief-like.

+Taking the major inventory items one by one, lantern, compass, sword, blackjack (although I thought questionable the reason for it to be there) is a very interesting gameplay mechanic.

+Nice-looking music room with a nice amount of interactive instruments.

+Nice and luxurious interiors. Beautiful water fountains.

+Playing on difficult is really challenging because you can't knockout no one, have a tiny ammount of water arrows, and don't even start with a sword to defend yourself if things go bad.

+The mechanism triggered when closing the door is pure eye candy, as the diamond. The music that plays helps to enhance it.

*There's a button in the secret room below the stairs on the second floor that I don't know what does.

-I entered the secret room behind the bookshelf and it was completely empty. I thought I had bugged the mission. So I came here in this thread and read what did I have to do. IMHO there should be a hint somewhere that you have to close the door, because I hadn't even noticed there was a door in there.

-I think that there should be at least two entrances, since the front door is inaccessible. The second entrance could be a window, that you could acess using a rope arrow.

Conclusion: amazing FM and very impressive for your first one.

PS: Some bugs I found: http://imageshack.us/g/1/10444935/

Edited by Jon Irenicus

Just finished this mission and I must say: very impressive indeed!!! My favourite so far I think...

I have to admit I did not succeed in finishing the mission with the door trick; I had to look it up...

I found the blackjack very late into the mission when I was roaming around (not being able to solve the game ending), this was very cool because the blackjack would have probably changed my gameplay drastically