The Dark Mod Forums

rotation problem

Johannes Burock

hi to all,

First my englishknowledge is minimiced so sorry for mistakes.

Problem:

- I use darkradiant 1.0.2

- Started to build a map, a little wood, big stones around, a entrance of a mine.

- In game are 6 patches, 15 brushes and 65 ent/mod.

- The ground of the landscape and the walls of the mine are made with patches.

- The trees an stones in and around the wood are models.

Last thing i did was to create two brushes as limbs for the mine. After i scaled the textures at this two elements:

- The moon in sky doesnt exist anymore.

- If i create a new brush (f.e. in top view) near my level its generated at the middle of the map (in the two side-views).

- If i push this brush now to the part of my level -> in top-view and one side-view i cant rotate it over about 5 deg, because it will be degenerated- but models and patches anyway - .

- If i do this some 100 steps away from the allready existing part of the level is no problem to rotate the brushes.

- If i want to copy or push the rotated brush to the mine it will be degeneratet by darkradiant - in console

"Warning: removed degenerate brush!rotateTool -eulerXYZ 0.0377302 -0.0347193 0.425738"

- If i create a new map there is no problem anymore- so i didnt change a general option in darkradiant i think.

- Console in darkmod give no warnings, i can play the map without problems (how i toled the moon doesnt exist anymore / in fact this is good-for the thief laugh.gif ).

I tried to:

- restart darkradiant and pc - no effect.

- delete -all- patches and brushes etc. and create only one new brush to rotate it - no effect, its degenerated.

- create a new map - where the problem doesnt exist - and copy the old level into it - now problem exists even here.

Have or had someone the same problem and can help my please?

greetings from germany, Johannes

"- If i create a new brush (f.e. in top view) near my level its generated at the middle of the map (in the two side-views)."

Also von der höhe her orientiert sich der neue brush bei dem den du als letztes erschaffen oder ausgewählt hast.

"- If i push this brush now to the part of my level -> in top-view and one side-view i cant rotate it over about 5 deg, because it will be degenerated- but models and patches anyway -"

wie versuchst du die brushes zu drehen? mit "R" und ziehen oder mit "free model rotation" oder vielleicht roate and scale?

"- If i want to copy or push the rotated brush to the mine it will be degeneratet by darkradiant - in console

"Warning: removed degenerate brush!rotateTool -eulerXYZ 0.0377302 -0.0347193 0.425738""

ziehst du die brushes im top few? hast du es schon mit "Alt+Pfeiltasten" probiert?

Ich bin auch kein meister in engisch, vielleicht kommen wir besser zusammen wenn du es mir auf deutsch erzählst^^

grüße Andreas/Sono

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Deutsch macht es naturlich leichter...

-also egal wie ich das ding drehe (r-taste, rotation button, oder auch rotate and scale) es funzt nicht.

-auch alt-pfeiltaste funktioniert nicht.

-erst seitdem ich dieses problem hab wird das neue teil im Koordinatenursprung generiert, sonst immer direkt bei der baustelle.

Grüße Johannes

I used to get this rotation degeneration thing. I think it's when you have a large grid size and it gets snapped to grid during the rotation. But I've not seen it for a long time and thought it was fixed. Is there an auto snap to grid setting that is causing this? I don't know of one.

The missing moon. This can be scrolled but what I would do is Left shift drag the mouse over the whole skybox to select it. Then delete the whole thing. Then make sure you have texture lock ON. (Surface Inspector) Then insert the skybox again and it should be OK.

the moon is now ok -thanks. (last time when i regenerated the sky because of the moonproblem i didnt select t-lock, damn)

the rotation problem is still there. gridsize changes nothing.

auto grid - dont know, but i didnt change an option so it shouldnt be the problem. and why can i rotate the models etc. without problems?

klingt recht nach einem bug, hast du das problem schon immer auf der map? versuchst du mehrere brushes gleichzeitig zu drehen?

edit: hast du den brush irgendwie bearbeitet bevor du es versuchst zu drehen?

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

@sonosuke...brush ist noch völlig unbearbeitet. Problem taucht erst seit den beiden Balken auf. Wenn ich die lösche hilfts aber nichts.

@ all...if i create a new brush (not rotated until now) and select all brushes and patches etc. i can rotate my hole builded level without the problem. But if i change/rotate the relativ position of the new brush to the rest it regenerats.

i have found a way to deal with it.

instead of pushing the new brushes to the edge/ side of the map i pushed my level more to the middle of the map. So i calculate a secure distance to the side of the map.

now i can rotate the brushes better but not all degreeoptions.

But there must be a way not to have this problem.

Edited by Johannes Burock

Have you tried upgrading DarkRadiant?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

1.0.2 is the last version of dr or did i miss a upgrade in the last days.

Er, no I mistook 1.1.x for the newest version. Did your rotation problem occur far away from the map origin 0.0.0? If so it might be rounding errors.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It is not clear to me exactly what it is you are trying to move/rotate. But it sounds like it, or part of it, might be rotating around the world origin. So the nearer to 0,0,0 the better. I can't see how else the position would matter. There are some buttons on top right which affect how rotation works you might try. Otherwise I can only suggest you upload your map somewhere for one of us to look at. You need to make clear what it is that needs moving/rotating though. If it is an entity then give its name.

it seems to be a rounding error. if i push the mappart in the edge of the 3D area -rotation no way.

if i push it now to one of the sides of the area it seems to get better. In centre i havent a problem - until now.

But if it is a rounding error why did it come at first after a long time? And why can i models and patches rotate without problems.