The Dark Mod Forums

Herasy: t3ed

Bikerdude

It's a different beast, it's ok but rather slow to work with. I worked on making an enhanced version for awhile, but left it when I couldn't really get any further due to limitations.

Dark Radiant is made by fans for the fans, and when you look at what we've been able to accomplish in 5 years with our small team...creating an entire toolset, and putting out 10 missions since release, I feel it's fair to say DR is probably going to be the easier mapping tool to work with.

It's not heresy. :) I'm one of the people who actually enjoyed Thief 3 for what it was.

This is going to sound like I'm biased, but to be perfectly honest, I worked with T3Ed for a bit (to the point of putting out a simple little contest mission) and it was an utter pain. Limited, clunky, and buggy. It had some really stupid bugs; e.g. moving or resizing a trigger volume caused it to completely stop functioning. That bit me several times, just in the one mission.

I haven't worked extensively with DarkRadiant so I can't share first-hand info, but people tell me it's easy to use, and since it's open source, things can be fixed and improved.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I built a mission to about 75% completeness twice with it (first version fell to a HD crash). It's okay, but really only the working with prefabs part. I quite liked some of the areas I was able to piece together with it (and I do mean piece together, because there is very little construction in T3Ed, and mostly "assembling" parts). Anything to do with brush work is a nightmare. The fact that it's almost an all-in-one editor is kinda neat (though it falls short).

DR currently lacks a few whiz bang features (e.g. the lit render mode needs improvements, no particle editor yet), but it is awesome. ;) Build pretty much any damn thing you want with it.

Bikerdude, I hope you aren't getting frustrated. I'm excited to see what you have wrought with DR! I have stayed away from all the discussion you have been having about your upcoming mission because after seeing the first few screenshots and reading that you are an engineer of sorts, I wanted to play your mission (without being 'spoiled').

But I see (again, cursorily) there's been a lot of discussion; so I hope it's all pretty much productive and not overwhelmingly discouraging or any such thing.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

But I see (again, cursorily) there's been a lot of discussion; so I hope it's all pretty much productive and not overwhelmingly discouraging or any such thing.

God no, Im grand. The mission is nearly done, Ive just gotta fix the windows (due to a VP bug, grrrr) and get Serps to look at 2 of my objectives that wont tick of due me not doing the triggers right I guess...

I was just curious about working with T3Ed, but by the sounds of it I wont enjoy it at all - which is a shame I would have loved to try (maybe I still will.)

God no, Im grand. The mission is nearly done, Ive just gotta fix the windows (due to a VP bug, grrrr) and get Serps to look at 2 of my objectives that wont tick of due me not doing the triggers right I guess...

Awesome. Looking forward to it. B)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

T3ED is substractive, so you start out with a pretty clean map and CSG also works quite good. However editing a brush in vertex-mode crashed my mashine pretty often. I also had many other random crashes and I eventually gave up on my map. Another nice feature is that you can't rescale the static meshes of T3 properly, because their collision-hull is scaled in a weird way, so that you have to disable collision on that object and add a collision-hull manually via brushes.

It'd probably be good to open a thread like this in the thief 3 editor's guild as well, so that you hear the oppinions of both fractions... :)

The only good thing I can remember is the easy way to create AI paths, a few clicks and finished. But thats it. I loved thief 3 but the editor... I would say I started as noob and left as noob.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

I tried it, first for unreal wahile waiting for it to be released, then again once it was released. I never got far and really didn't like it, found it frustrating to just get started.

I like Dromed, Hammer, TES, Dark Radiant... so it's not being able to use a new engine, just something about it...

But if you want to you should check it out, I imagine you might come to the same conclusion as everyone else.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest