The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Sons of Baltona 1 by Carnage (2010/01/09)

Carnage

58 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling (eg, dead nobleman, empty safe open, items strewn.)

Ah, come on PigtailsBoy, why didn´t you read the whole thread. Come on and say sorry. Or is the guy kicked? It doesn´t seem so, there is no 'banished'-sign...

Whatever, like Carnage said, back to topic:

Well, I didn´t finish right now because I (too) wasn´t able to find the secret place. But I read it here so you don´t have to hint me. I´m just to tired now to go on and it´s too hot here in my universe to sleep, so I write instead. :)

I have to break a lance for Carnage. I really, I´m really honest, had no trouble finding the secret entrance. Though I have a really dark gamma setting (screen is TV in HD-mode, that is even more dark) but I use the Spyglass often to look around and that helped me spot the entrance and I intuitive searched near by and found what I need in less than seconds. That´s how things can turn out. :)

But, I really had trouble with the very first gate. I searched for a secret switch around the starting area and several times a guard would ran on and make a big trara without me knowing what´s going on? Than I realized that this guard has a really wide ability to see me. But I guess this is TDM-default, isn´t it?

I found exactly one lonely post describing this problem, but felt thousands complaining about the secret entrance I had no trouble with at all. How odd. *shacking head*

I read in this post that the gate is somehow pushable? Well, I´m sure I did. I frobbed, ran into it, tried to climb it. Why couldn´t the player climb it? At the start of Patently Dangerous there was an even higher gate that the player could climb. Oh well, I finally managed to lure the guard with my lantern and gladly he put his sword back on his belt. Otherwise I had to start again, because I wanted to completely avoid any 'Trara' by guards. I´m in stealth-flight here. (at least the objectives tell so)

The way around the mansion was really cool, really. Isn´t this the first mission with most guards in reference to the map size? In all the other Mansion mission there were much less guards (at least it felt like it) so I feared TDM can´t handle more. :unsure: Gladly this mission thought me the other way.

And Carnage, about your comment about the little details. Don´t count me in on this! I look at everything and the first I saw upon entering the secret passage were the missing endcaps (just learned this word from Nielsen) at the stairs. I always make for myself a contest for playing as long as possible. Actually I lowered my main walk-speed so I can spent even more time in the mission! :ph34r: And as I spending time and sneaking around at slowest speed I look at everything, so please make the next mansion/mission more enjoyable for the eye. Just for me.

But I really enjoyed the mission so far and as I am right at the end I think I can tell this much right now. The big fun factor were all the guards.

So there is some time left now, what about guards switching lights back on? Is this possible now or will it be? As Diego said before, it would help to keep the player on his toes!

I´m playing at the middle difficult because I wanted to at least blackjack one. At the end it were the allowed two.

I KOed the servant in front of a lot of stuff that I thought I could take with me, but I thought wrong. Not even the nice silver thing that can held fluids. (too tired to translate 'Teekanne') The second KO got Nelson himself because I wanted to search his room in peace for the secret hiding place. So placed his body in his bed. Wouldn´t it be great that guards came into the room and see the master in bed and they say: "Oh, Master is sleeping, now I can plunder the bar/wincellar" instead of "Bloody murder" or what they would say.

At the end I gave up searching and pushed Nelson out of his bed and placed myself in there and saved the game and came looking here reading the thread and posting until now and I even will go on:

There wasn´t really a thing I didn´t liked without the secret hiding place, but all the forks, knives and spoons and yeah, the plates too didn´t looked so valuable but still I was able to put all that in my trousers or what else I brought with me. That was just an Loot-overkill. And because I couldn´t resist I read all the spoilers (now I know why Springheel never reads the thread until he finishes the mission) I know now that I later have to kill Nelson. And I have to say that I really don´t like to be forced to kill. Can´t someone else do things like this? Call the police, ah okay, no telephones. Or are there phones? They have Light switches, so why shouldn´t they have phones? And door bells? Ahh, I´m drifting away. About the kill, I´m a Thief, I don´t do things like that. Nelson could´ve sold the damn word to the devil, I wouldn´t care. I just want to make my cut. But okay, you say it´s part of the story and the story seems to be very interesting and I like to have missions that fit together.

So there is now some time flown into the land, what is the standing of your mission two right now?

And because this is your first mission and there are others to come in this storyline I would very like to see a remake or update of this one someday (next week, nah, just kidding).

Hey, just tell me, is it normal that I always get a write-flash when I´m very tired but can´t sleep? (I prefer to be just odd)

But because I contributed to the topic it´s no reason for kicking me, eh? :P And it isn´t really that long and you know what? This is the finish line. (Huh, I got a feeling that tomorrow I´ll be ashamed of this but right now I don´t care and still my eyes are hurting, but wide open. Damn summer. When I finally rule the world I will flame the sun away, I surely will!)

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Wow what a comment :). Well don't be ashamed I love lengthy comments :P. About the secret entrance, how you found it is how it was meant to be, but yeah not everyone plays in the same way. The first gate was a fault on my part. I kinda forced the player to do it in one way and for some reason this gate was really difficult to frob. Certainly won't make that same mistake again ;). One of my beta-testers told me that he found the way around the mansion too easy, so I changed that and as long as the player won't be caught there is no issue. If you do, all hell breaks lose and you get a major FPS drop. There are still quite a lot of players that have low spec PC's, so the next part won't be the same. Yeah there are quite a lot of players that like the little details so I'll try to do my best in part 2. As far as I know it still isn't possible for guards to switch the lights back on. About the forced kill. In the beginning before I started building I was thinking about creating a story with your decissions having an effect on the flow of it. That would mean that you would have the option to kill nelson or not and that in part 2 you could download one that continues the story with you killing nelson and one without. Because this was my first ever FM I decided to take it back a step cause just finishing this FM was already an effort. It's possible that I will do something like that in a next campaign. But now I had to make a decission and for the story it was necessary to do it like this. Part 2 is still a while away. I just came back from a backpacking trip and are now playing all the Fms that have been released :). I have on paper how I want to build the FM and most of the readables are done. Now I just need to start building :P. I can't say when that's going to be but I will eventually. I don't know if I'm going to remake part 1. In the end I kinda got fed up with it and I don't know if I'll be able to motivate myself to work on a FM that has already been released. Of course there's a lot that can be improved but there will probably be just a handfull of people that are going to play it again. I rather spend time on new missions than on an excisting one. But never say never, if or when I'm an expert with Dark Radiant it might be really easy to do it :). I never get a write flash by the way :P, but like I said I love lengthy comments so just be odd :P:P. Can't complain about the weather though, it's finally sunny for long periods here :D.

That alternate storyline would be nice, but maybe not (now as you´re still learning) worth the effort. Would make, for me, more sense to release it later as sort of a 'Director´s Cut', hehe. :)

A Re-Release I would like as the DarkMod itself evolves and more features are available. Otherwise no one will play this first missions again. Maybe for nostalgic reasons?

Ok, this night I have slept some hours and so I was able to finish this mission and hoo, it was really hard at the end, took several reloads because I wanted the purses so badly. But these damn torch-guards, one saw me, and hell broke lose. (they made trara) Gladly I don´t suffered from Frame-drops. Funny word this is. After I caught some stones in my eyes, that really hurted that I had to say 'Aua', while I hid behind the crates they gave up and I took the first purse. Than I got to the guard by the well there I took out the torches and that alarmed some guards that ran by. Don´t know where they came from. Maybe the guard by the torch send them an instant message. (we talked about the phones before!biggrin.gif) But as I sneaked very carefully by I managed to grab the purse. And then I got sloppy. Instead of taking the way back to the house (I didn´t killed Nelson yet, he was still in bed pretending to be sleeping) via the passage, I unlocked the house door and got in, directly before the feeds of the guard inside, may he saw a little of me. So I had four guards now hacking at me and I was dead before I could say 'crap'. On the second try I got stuck at this wagon by the well and as I wanted to open the console to type in 'noclip' I was sent back to desktop? No message, no hangup, nothing. So I had to start again. Well, to start the game. Of course I made a quicksave. Well, finally I got my purses. *sigh* smile.gif

For the overall loot I´m missing 30 pounds? I got all I read here in this thread. I have to say that I very likely hadn´t found the secret lever under Andersons desk if I hadn´t read about it here. Wonder what I missed. I found the bottles by the bar (and the ones in the kitchen) and the coins on the roof. Hmm.

You wanna know what I did else? I wanted to gave Eduardo a funeral but in the garden the guards surely would´ve spotted him so I thirst dumped him into the bathtub. With one leg upside. laugh.gif But than I thought about it and took him instead to the garden and throw him into the water. Then I got a Frame-drop. I guess it finished as he reached the ground in the water. Couldn´t saw it because it was too dark. Actually it is day here but I really wanted to finish the mission. But that´s it, no grave speech.

And on my way out I finally was able to frob the gate! But I couldn´t close it again.

BTW, maybe Eduardo wasn´t killed really, I guess he just died of starving. Because he didn´t touched the food in his roomy cage. Not even the apple. And what prisoners got apples? Nelson can´t be so bad. He just wanted to please and hold his wife. But I have a feeling that she likes Emily more. I hope to see some lesbian sex-animation in future TDM. biggrin.gif Just for aesthetic reasons of course!

After all the mission was big fun. I liked most evading the guards. But I think you overused the electric lights. Or is this because of the taste by madame Nelson? She likes artificial light, doesn´t she? No wonder Nelson can´t pay the bills(these secret Instant Messengers for the guards must be expensive, too). In the future I would like more torches in the house. In the kitchen and doorways maybe. Aaaand, I would like much more things to frob like chairs and alll, really all the little things that are around. This is such a great feature, but most FM´s don´t support it! A shame! I really would like to say some positive things more but nothing else important enough to mention comes to my mind. unsure.gif Well, without the missing hint for the secret hiding place, there was nothing what was negative. I managed to stay four hours in the mission. smile.gif Ah, I forgot to look at the watch that is between barracks and living room. As I came in it was, äh you say half past twelve right? In German it would be 'halb eins'. As I passed it near the end it said 'halb vier', äh half past three. And I don´t think that it took one hour for me to get the purses but than again, I spent some time to get in. Hmm, let´s just hope that the clocks are ticking right.

So, here you got your next lengthy post! :P But only if you open the spoiler, that is.

There is only one thing left to ask: Where did your backpacking trip led you?

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I went to Australia and New Zealand for 5 months. Both amazing countries. I don't know if it possible to change the running speed. I reckon it won't be too difficult, but I'd have to take a look at that. It wouldn't be fun and realistic though would it? I mean the guards have bulky armor that would slow them down a bit and part of of Thief is being able to run away from guards when caught. Otherwise it would mean you're almost certainly dead when spotted.

Yes, but there is something wrong with your guards outside. I just played Return to the City (great looking gem that is) and I could create a gap between me and the guards. In the same time "your" guards ran me out and killed me by stabbing while running. I don´t know if it were the corners I had to run around Nelson´s mansion. Hmm, strange that is.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 7 months later...

There's a problem for me with this level in 1.04, with Ambient Shader set to low/high the level is incredibly dark (ambient world set to 0 level dark), with it on normal it's playable but it's not as purdy as it could be. Anyone else getting this problem? I've only noticed this problem on this map.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

There's a problem for me with this level in 1.04, with Ambient Shader set to low/high the level is incredibly dark (ambient world set to 0 level dark), with it on normal it's playable but it's not as purdy as it could be. Anyone else getting this problem? I've only noticed this problem on this map.

This was a problem with the naming of the ambient light. I've updated it and will be submitting the revised map. Should be available soon. :) It was an issue I had noticed with the map for quite some time...just didn't get a chance to fix it till now.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too! Also the skybox is moving as I move my mouse. Very annoying. The mushroom lights send out quadratic light. Didn't play any further - the guards nerved me - I may missed the secret entrance but it's too dark to see.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 4 months later...

This was a problem with the naming of the ambient light. I've updated it and will be submitting the revised map. Should be available soon. :) It was an issue I had noticed with the map for quite some time...just didn't get a chance to fix it till now.

Hi guys, i have the same problem (with dm 1.06).

how can I fix it?

• 5 months later...

Sons of Baltona fix:

Here is a link to a fixed version of the map with working Ambient Light:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/sons_of_baltona_1.pk4

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/sons_of_baltona_1.pk4

I tried a couple of dmap optimizations but they failed to improve performance so I went with a vanilla dmap.

I also added Interleaved Thinking Optimization spwnargs to the AI. The distances I set were more conservative than the ones

used in NHAT but I set the max frames to 22.

"max_interleave_think_frames" "22"

"max_interleave_think_dist" "1200"

"min_interleave_think_dist" "400"

A little more speedy now...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 5 months later...

I'm feeling really dumb here. I can't get *anywhere*! I've read this whole topic, and the only reference to the problem I'm seeing references a "second" garden, whereas I can't even get past the first...

I start the level with a gate in front of me which I can mantle up a little, but presumably this is where I entered. Turn around, and there's an L-shaped courtyard with a gate to the left which I can neither open nor mantle over (and a patrolling guard with a torch on the other side), and high crenelated walls all around. On the right is a garden ... guess this is the only avenue of entry. There's a stack of boxes right in front, but they're neither movable nor high enough to be useful.

The garden has two trees, numerous flowers (one of which contains a moss arrow) and a path which leads into a wall (significant?) and three patches of luminous fungus. I can climb into each tree, but that leads nowhere, and I've tried frobbing each flower in turn with nothing to find. I'm completely out of ideas...

What really baffles me is that nobody else has complained of being stuck here. What on earth am I missing?!

It's been years since I played this, but can't you frob the gate?

Wow. Turns out I can! ... so why on earth didn't I discover this?

Have a feeling this issue (or its relatives) has been rehearsed ad-nauseam this thread -- I completely failed to spot the highlight on the gate, as it's barely visible, and I must have only tried frobbing on the edges when I tried it last night. Or ... which is just as likely, my focus was between the gate bars when I tried, and as the highlight is virtually invisible (at least on my system, for whatever reason), I was just unlucky.

Whoops. I will tread carefully with this mission... :blush:

Edit: Haha: just climbed into the skybox that crashes doom3!

The wandering guards with torches adds a nice touch that we didn't have in T2 (at least, I don't remember seeing it in any mods).

Edited by Araneidae

Nice mission, enjoyed playing it. Two niggles:

1. The secret book was rather too secret for me,
    had to hunt out somebody spelling it out in the conversation here, and as it was essential to finishing the mission it was a frustration.
  2. Wasn't keen on
    the final objective of killing a character,
    rather spoiled the whole ghosting thing!

Definitely shows the power of TDM!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just played this under 1.08 and it may be that the Diary of Lord Nelson has screwed up as the pages don't follow on and I can't remember what it was like last time I played it.

The same here. Basicly that entire diary is truncated.

And Lieutenant Andersons journal has a truncated page as well.

I wonder if this is due to the many changes made in TDM since this mission got released?

Would be nice to see them fixed some day.

Btw : how is part 2 coming along ?

Very nice mission, but I really wonder how Lord Nelson can afford that many guards !!

• 5 months later...

Fun little mission. Topography is shown below to find access and progress if lost.

First floor ascii map:

.------.
                                  |      |
      .---------------------------' .--. '-------------------------.
      |                             |  |                           |
      |  .--D---------------------------------------------------.  |
      |  |     |       |                 |                      |  |
      |  |  b  |       |                 |                      |  |
      |  |  a  |       |   kitchen       |      dining          |  |
      |  |  r  |       |                 D                      |  |   
      |  |  r  |       |                 |                      |  |        
      |  |  a  |----D-----D--------------|                      |           
      |  |  c  |                         |------------------D---|        
      |  |  k  |                         D                      |       big
      |  |  s  D         --------------D-|                      |      garden
      |  |     |         stairs |basement|                      |  |
      |  '-------D-----D-----------------|                      |  |
      |             |                    |                      |  |
      |             |                    |                      |  |
      |             |      office        |                      |  |
      |   fountain  |                    |                      |  |
      |             |                    |         bar          |  |
      |  .------    '-------------------------------------------'  |
   .--'  |                                                         |
   |     |---------------------------------------------------------'
   |  .--'
   |  '--.
   |     |
   '--.  |
      |  |
-------'  |
start     |
----------'
      |
    small
    garden

Legend:
D  - door

Second floor ascii map:

.------------------------------------------------------.
         |         D              | cell D                      |
         |         |-----------   '------|                      |
         |         | stairs up           |                      |
         |         |-------------D-.     |                      |
         |         |               |     D        armory        |
         |  Lord   |               |     |                      |
         | Nelson  D               |     |----------D ----------|
         |  room   |   bathroom    |     D                      |
         |         |               |-----'                      |
         |         |               | stairs                     |
         '---------------D---------------.                      |
                    |        |           D                      |
                    |        | elizabeth |-------D--------------|
                    |        D           |                      |
                    |        '-----------|       bedroom        |
                    |  patio             |                      |
                    '-------------------------------------------'
Legend:
D  - door

Third floor ascii map:

.------------------------------------------------------.
         |       |  |                                           |
         |study  D  '------------.                              |
         |       |   stairs down |                              |
         |-----------------------'                              |
         |                                                      |
         '----------.                                           |
                    |                                           |
                    '-------------------------------------------'
Legend:
D  - door

Basement access from garden:

Basement is accessed from the grate in big garden on the first floor and a lever.

Basement access from garden details:

The lever for the grate is to the left at ground level.

House key:

Barracks on the first floor has a chest with the house key.
Doors to exit house are on the first floor and second floor.

House key details:

Chest in the barracks is on the southwest corner.

Office key:

Bar on the first floor has a guard with the office key.
Door to the office is on the first floor.

Office key details:

Guard wanders by the fireplace and counter.

Office desk switch:

Office on the first floor has a desk with a lever to open picture.
Picture in the office on the first floor has the loot.

Office desk switch details:

Desk is on the east side and button switch is under the top of desk.

Elizabeth key:

Bedroom on the second floor has a chest with the elizabeth key.
Door to the elizabeth room is on the second floor.

Elizabeth key details:

Chest is on the east side.

Armory key:

Study on the third floor has a book with a lever to open picture.
Picture in the study on the third floor has the armory key.
Door to the study is on the third floor.
Door to the armory is on the second floor.

Armory key details:

Book is on the bottom shelf.
Picture is on the opposite wall of book.

Cell key:

Study on the third floor has a book with a lever to open picture.
Picture in the study on the third floor has the cell key.
Door to the study is on the third floor.
Door to the cell is on the second floor.

Cell key details:

Book is on the bottom shelf.
Picture is on the opposite wall of book.

• 2 months later...

Just played this again for the first time since 1.07 (I think) and had a blast - first part (outside) is especially tense with all the patrolling guards, and a real challenge. Once you're inside, it gets a bit easy (apart from some "How the heck was I supposed to find that?" key/switch hunts - couldn't remember where they were and had to search this forum for help). Having guards switching the lights back on could be good, but I think it'd have to be well thought-out or it could mean getting busted all the time and make the game unplayably difficult.

Got a real scare near the end - I thought I had KO'd everyone indoors, was scampering around trying to find a key and was running along an upstairs corridor when a guard suddenly came out of a room in front of me and gave chase. Absolutely no idea where he came from, but I suspect he was an 'outside' guard who may have seen me while I was on the outside balcony and came in to check. Awesome!

Really good to revisit it after so long. Thanks Carnage. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished this mission on difficult.

Impressive work for your first FM.

I enjoyed playing this very much! I always enjoy playing mansions missions, it reminds me of the first Thief mission ever, Lord Bafford's Manor, that left quite a impression in me.

Gameplay, setting, map, story, readables, objectives, everything was nice and interesting for me, and I was never bored.

The only problem for me was entering the mansion. I had to read this thread carefully to avoid spoilers. Besides this, I had no problems.

I do hope you make a sequel.

Thank you Carnage!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

• 9 months later...

Just played through under 2.02 and I don't know if this always happened or if it is a side effect of the changes in 2.02 with respect to opening a door

I opened the outside door from inside the main house area to pickpocket the loot on the guards belt and a guard inside went into full alert mode - this door shouldn't be open etc. - and I failed the ghost optional objective

So why the title and are we going to see the grandsons of Baltona sometime? :rolleyes: