The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Return to the City by Melan (2010/01/10)

Melan

69 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect. Outstanding
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

You definitely should vote, according to what the mission is now. :) An update may happen, but to be fair, only after the contest.

If you're updating it once more, pelease add the lantern to the players inventory... :) Or did I just miss it as a pickup?

Edit: Oh well, I could also just spawncheat it. =)

Edited by STiFU

Some *strictly* little graphic problems:

See the strange "no shadow" line:

73260981.th.jpg

See the white lines (on the wall too):

59094076.th.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I have fixed the Builders issue for now and updated the first two links. Please propagate these changes into the others if you can.

Someone else will have to help me with the visportals; they have already been heavily revised several times, and the alternatives either

a) were worse (with minute-long freezing on some occasions),

cool.gif would have needed a thorough rebuild,

c) obstructed rooftop views in a displeasing way.

I can give access to the testing forum at Shalebridge if there are takers. For the time being and the contest, I will live with the poor performance and accept its effect on the scores.

Was planning on playing tonight, but I'd be happy to look into the vis-portals and what can be fixed.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Is there anything valuable / of interest in the area behind the secret tunnel near the cage

the explosives are kept?

And has anyone managed to get into the room in the "tower". I can see an open lit window behind a gargoyle...

You can reach the Clocktower's room from one of the attic's window - round roofs...

...and someone has asked about two stolen gemstone:

There is a roof somewhere...it has some gargoyles round and round...

• Like 1

Shame on me, but I'm stuck too...I was upstairs and downstairs, got 1305,

I'm at the cage where the explosives presumably are located, I can see the interspace of the iron bars, but I can't get in...what should I do? :unsure:

Anyway maybe this is the coolest FM so far, aside from visportal things. And I really lack a MAP!!! and weather effects for example rain, like in Thief's Den.

Melan: nincs ötleted a magyar ékezetes karakterek megjelenítésére? Jó lenne magyarul játszani az FM-eket! :)

Edited by hykao

Shame on me, but I'm stuck too...I was upstairs and downstairs, got 1305,

I'm at the cage where the explosives presumably are located, I can see the interspace of the iron bars, but I can't get in...what should I do? :unsure:

Anyway maybe this is the coolest FM so far, aside from visportal things. And I really lack a MAP!!! and weather effects for example rain, like in Thief's Den.

Melan: nincs ötleted a magyar ékezetes karakterek megjelenítésére? Jó lenne magyarul játszani az FM-eket! :)

Remember the cool object handling TDM offers you.

Get very close to the cage. Grab the explosives and carefully lift them over the gap

in the bars !

hykao:

you can't get in, but that gap is bound to be useful.

(Az ékezeteket valószínűleg meg lehet oldani valahogy; a Doom3 aránylag könnyen módosítható, és innen letölthető egy fordítás ékezetekkel. A fordításban viszont sajnos munka mellett nem tudok segíteni, valaki másnak kell rá vállalkoznia.)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Oh, I see! :) THX for helping to both of you!

Melan: a Doom3 karakterkészletében vannak ékezetes betűk, a konzolba is beírhatók pl. - a magyarításban anno részt is vettem...azonban a TDM karakterkészletéből úgy tűnik kimaradtak...az FM-ek fordításán törtem a fejem, ám ékezetes karakterek nélkül nem az igazi a dolog... Amúgy jó kis küldetést hoztál össze! Grat! Remélem sikerül majd kiküszöbölnöd ezeket a visportál fedéseket.

Edited by hykao

Ez a küldetés egyszerűen félelmetes! Nagyon jól sikerült. Már az elején futkosott a hideg a hátamon. Amellett találkoztam benne olyan dologgal is ami meglepett. Már észrevett az egyik Építő, és így is sikerült szemből leütnöm 1 ütéssel. Tetszenek a rejtett odúkban a villogó fények, és elég magasra lehet feljutni. Jól néz ki a kínzókamra, az a fickó biztos sokáig volt a nyújtópadon akit bedobtak a tömlöcbe:laugh: Eddig ez az Fm a kedvencem.

It looks beautiful, the architecture very The Dark Project style... really brought me back 10 years ago (in a good way)...

Strangely enough I cannot even play this mission. I get 1 fps at the start. Weird since I have a good gaming rig (Crysis on high with 30 fps average). Although this mission I hear is a performance hog, I shouldn't be getting this low.

Goldchocobo: hm, here is an idea... How much RAM and what kind of graphic card do you have? I get unbearable chop on my laptop, and that's mainly due to the lack of memory, I think.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Be sure to try setting the interaction shader to standard and the ambient lighting to fast in the video settings menu, if you haven't already.

Then the usual...reducing screen res.

Performance in the large outside area is choppy on my Geforce FX5200, but pretty good when I move inside. I was able to get quite playable framerates in St. Lucia with this card, so I think this map can easily perform as well as St. Lucia after some optimizations. :)

It was really nice to play a map that I didn't know anything about, and this absolutely felt like a real Thief map. Just beautiful.

Goldchocobo: hm, here is an idea... How much RAM and what kind of graphic card do you have? I get unbearable chop on my laptop, and that's mainly due to the lack of memory, I think.

2gb ddr 2 800 mhz, core 2 duo, 8800gt.

I managed to get it working but tuning down the settings to 1680-1050, no v sync, 2x AA, 4x antistropic, fast ambient and fast interaction shader.

That's a massive downgrade from my previous settings. The map still has massive fps issuse, and crashes every 10 minute or so (also breaking my savegame files).

I don't want to be mean... this map is simply gorgeous, but I'm positive the visportals are to blame. I took a quick look at it and it desperate needs help. I've had identical problems with my city. I eventually found clever tricks to split everything up, and cut off area's which 2x'd my fps and eliminated crashing. You could easily double your FPS on this map, and eliminate the possibilities of crashing with a day of work.

But oh man the map looks beautiful.

Any chance for a 1.1 return to the city?

edit: I don't mean to be discouraging, this map has a lot of expertise in it and it really shows, but it's all the more reason to re-visportal area's of the map.

Yes, we are talking shop about a revision already. It looks like there are some changes that may produce better framerate with some work. Obviously, it will take some time to get everything in place, but hopefully the final experience will be smoother.

Goldchocobo: oh. My screen can't even do 1680x1050; the best I can get to is 1280x1024. Tuning down to 1680x1050? :blink: I have no idea about the crashes, though. There were some that came up during beta, and that was solved by removing two visportals and fine-tuning a few others.

Yeah, 1680x1050...I'm only able to play TDM and Thief 3 at 640 x 480 on my old Geforce FX 5200. Although I can bump that up to 800 x 600 in Linux.

Melan

I am happy to use my Desktop and laptop for FPS testing

Desktop:

Core2quad QX9650

4GB DDR2-1066

Radeon HD5870

Raid-0

Laptop:

Core2Duo T9500

4GB DDR2-800

nVidia 8400M

Yeah, 1680x1050...I'm only able to play TDM and Thief 3 at 640 x 480 on my old Geforce FX 5200. Although I can bump that up to 800 x 600 in Linux.

Just my two cents: using AntiAliasing more or equal of 4X, IMHO it's pretty useless to have higher resolution.

Goldchocobo, the AA is the culprit. I had 4xSS-AA enabled (on my HD4870/1G), which got me 8 fps when looking at the start in the direction of the city. After switching off AA, I got manageable 25 fps. Although it looks ugly, I'm afraid this map forbids the use of any quality features.

Just my two cents: using AntiAliasing more or equal of 4X, IMHO it's pretty useless to have higher resolution.

It's not. When I enable 4xAA on my 24" screen (1920x1200), TDM looks just beautiful. The only thing that's slightly annoying are the extremely hard-edged shadows. I'm still experimenting with some Doom3 shaders to have them softened, but it seems that TDM produces really bad graphics errors when I try to enable them.

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.