The Dark Mod Forums

I'd like to contribute my HDR implementation

J.C.Denton

Maybe v1.03 if we can work out all the kinks

Well, wow, that's more progress than I was hoping for!

I wouldn't be disgusted to see a vid with a side by side demo of a bit of a walk-through of say mission 1 of say NHAT with say a sample of the HDR vs say the say POTDM.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I would like to see something like that as well.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

a comparison- pic or vidao with hdr on and off would be nice ;)

Same answer. :) The current settings are not yet finalized. It's quite possible that what we post right now could look different from a final release. When we feel it's close to a releasable stage, we'll post pics then.

• 1 month later...

Heh, I see that the water tutorial at modwiki has the fresnel shader in it... So perhaps something like water with a Marble murk... (yeah I'm talking to myself... :laugh:)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...

The guys were running in some complications and are now working on a decent compromise, which should also improve performance compared to the old implementation. All this HDR work has been going on quite some time, so everyone involved is pushing for a releasable state at the moment. This is no "yes" or "no" to your question though... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know I think it looks phenomenal at the moment, and performance doesn't even suffer that much. Although there's still that issue where you are underwater and FPS goes to like 3 fps.

Does this only happen with HDR? Under which circumstances on which system and which map?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Does this only happen with HDR? Under which circumstances on which system and which map?

Using latest SVN checkout, any underwater overlay causes FPS to drop almost to 1 with PostProcess turned on. Same with the Bloom AFAIK.

System:

Alienware M17x

2x Nvidia GTX 260M 1GB SLi Alternate Frame Rendering Technique #2

Core 2 Quad @ 2.2 GHz

6 GB DDR3 @ 1066 MHz

400GB Raid 0 7200 RPM

Doesn't matter what map, any water that uses the murky wavy effect when you are submerged causes this issue.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Oh forgot to mention, turning off HDR fixes the issue, and I get constant 60 fps underwater. I'll take some screenshots tonight along with a cvar dump so you can see which settings I'm using.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Well, I am suffering from the same issue and I have a single gpu card (NV 8800 GTS). I also had that problem with bloom and I was hoping for the new HDR implementation to fix this issue for me, but it didn't. Maybe we could implement a workaround for users that have this issue. Whenever murky water is entered, postprocessing (or bloom) could be turned off and re-enabled after leaving it again.

tdm_murkyWaterWorkaround 1|0 :)

Well, I am suffering from the same issue and I have a single gpu card (NV 8800 GTS). I also had that problem with bloom and I was hoping for the new HDR implementation to fix this issue for me, but it didn't. Maybe we could implement a workaround for users that have this issue. Whenever murky water is entered, postprocessing (or bloom) could be turned off and re-enabled after leaving it again.

tdm_murkyWaterWorkaround 1|0 :)

Hm, is it definitely the underwater overlay, or the "blur" in the water? We have a water test map, maybe you could run in there and check if it occurs everywhere? If it is a specific thing, we might indeed add a cvar to turn only this off for you.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I won't be home 'till sunday, so I won't be able to check it out now. If AH didn't do it until then, I'll do it and post report here. I'd prefer however if the postprocessing / bloom was temporarily disabled, as removing blur or the overlay will remove a lot of the "underwater feeling".

I won't be home 'till sunday, so I won't be able to check it out now. If AH didn't do it until then, I'll do it and post report here. I'd prefer however if the postprocessing / bloom was temporarily disabled, as removing blur or the overlay will remove a lot of the "underwater feeling".

I think that could be done. The code already tracks when you enter/leave water (for the "AI can see you now less good" effect) and so it should be able to toggle temp. the CVARS on/off.