The Dark Mod Forums

to reverb, or not to reverb

Goldchocobo

Just mixing some new female vocals, and I've brought up the question before, but... should I be adding a touch of neutral reverb for the non-eax players? We could eventually do it with all vocals for continuity's sake. This was the way they did it for T1 2 and 3, and the concept is sound. This was also how I mixed the footsteps.

I'm a non-EAX user, and I guess it would sound better on my end, but I can't really answer your question generally. If it's a very subtle effect giving a bit more substance to the sounds, I think it's ok, but I'm not a sound technician really.

I'm a non-EAX user, and I guess it would sound better on my end, but I can't really answer your question generally. If it's a very subtle effect giving a bit more substance to the sounds, I think it's ok, but I'm not a sound technician really.

It's a subtle effect, but helps the player feel as the sound is "in" the game, rather then playing back a completely dead track.

Are you mass-applying this reverb over all files or is this tedious manual work?

The reason why I ask is, maybe you can save a "snapshot package" of the files just before applying the reverb so that we have them around in case we need the dry ones. I can store them in the sound_src repository. Then nothing is lost.

Are you mass-applying this reverb over all files or is this tedious manual work?

The reason why I ask is, maybe you can save a "snapshot package" of the files just before applying the reverb so that we have them around in case we need the dry ones. I can store them in the sound_src repository. Then nothing is lost.

I may be able to do a batch process applying this reverb to the sounds that need it (and what a massive difference it would make to the soudnscape), but I'm sure if it can be done until I try.

I have dry versions of everything, no need to worry.

It's a subtle effect, but helps the player feel as the sound is "in" the game, rather then playing back a completely dead track.

I'd be fine with it.

When we first started, I thought it should be all flat and reverb should only be added in the EAX environments. It can kill immersion for me to be outdoors and hear bathroom-like reverb. But if EAX is not being used by many people, and there's no solution for Linux, then a little added reverb sounds okay.

When we first started, I thought it should be all flat and reverb should only be added in the EAX environments. It can kill immersion for me to be outdoors and hear bathroom-like reverb. But if EAX is not being used by many people, and there's no solution for Linux, then a little added reverb sounds okay.

Technically you are correct, flat with EAX taking care of reverb is ideal, although our non -eax brehren need a little break help as well. The wonderful thing about reverb, specially convolution reverb, is that stacking it on top of each other really works. ie footsteps with with a touch of neutral reverb + EAX reverb will come out very natural and sound good (again, listen to t1 and t2 sounds, that's exactly how they did it). Re-mixing all the sfx down could take a lot of work, unless I figure out a batch process though.