The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Business as usual by b1k3rdude (14/01/2010) Christmas FM Contest Entry

Bikerdude

...That said some of the issues people have been getting (books not closing) I think its a bug as I checked those books and they are fine etc.

You may be right. At a glance I can't see anything wrong and there are no console errors or warnings about xdata.

I've not checked every one in detail but I see in fidcal.xd you have:

"num_pages" : "3"

but there are only 2 pages of actual text. Yet page 3 is there but empty quotes. That ought to work and just give a blank page. Well, it does show a blank page but it ought not to scroll off the end but that may be the bug. So if you try setting the num_pages to 2 or even put a full stop on the blank page 3, it will probably fix that one. I assume the others are the same.

or even put a full stop on the blank page 3.

Cool i'll keep that in mind :-)

well Im starting on my next Fm, after playing 'old friend', a T2 mission - I am inspired. If you think my 1st mission was all cramped, crannies and nook's you aint seen nothing yet - of course I will allow just enough space for Ai to get down there etc (at grid 4, 10x7 blocks for Ai and 10x6 for the player)

A really good FM Bikerdude. Performance was very good outside on my rig, which still is a single core. Creating an immerse atmosphere was done very well and I really liked to roam around. I had to get used to the fact that loot wasn't everywhere, but that's the same in real life. Although I agree that one wouldn't tell anything about a secret in a readable, but you sometimes have to go for enjoyment because no one likes to search for too long because it downgrades the fun a bit. I left a small clue in my FM and players were still searching for a long time. I didn't notice anything awkward, other than the things that were already mentioned. Story was good and I liked the readables that were spread around. Nice job and I'm looking forward to more :D

I've an idea I typed it somewhere off line but forgot to post it before. Here it is:

If you run the FM and enter in the console: killmonsters then all AI are removed and you see a big improvement in fps. But of course you have no AI. So instead we slow down their processing (thinking at a distance.) This already happens by default but we slow it down more. You don't see any difference when they are near and they continue to patrol at normal speed at a distance anyway.

On every AI in the map add these properties to reduce the defaults:

max_interleave_think_dist 1000

min_interleave_think_dist 240

I used it in Chalice and its on other maps so it's fairly tried and tested and I've seen no problem with it. It has the biggest effect on low end systems where there are plenty of AI. I already tried it on your map the other day with very good effect on my old PC but unfortunately I was already halfway through so I didn't want to start from the beginning again...

Look in the corner that the stairs to the sewer door lead to. There are some crates etc. and a shiney mushroom, iirc. Still, your first target should be the workshop. It's pretty obvious once you enter it.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Ah, you mean the door to the

hideout

. Sorry, you need to take the long route through the workshop. 

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Bug found! :D

It can be possible move with the simple pression of the candle a person in the tavern!

shot00001at.th.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I could finally play this mission to the end (missing 178 loot). Although the area was small, I liked how you let the player approach some of the places from multiple directions.; that's always a plus. Some more care with readables would go a long way, and the player shadow wasn't a very good idea, but otherwise, I must reiterate what I wrote on the first page - for a "five weeks in level editing" experience, this is mighty impressive. The brief underwater segment, in particular, was an example of good lighting, and I liked the hotel - it somehow felt real with the ramshackle and cramped interiors and steep stairs.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I must reiterate what I wrote on the first page - for a "five weeks in level editing" experience, this is mighty impressive. The brief underwater segment, in particular, was an example of good lighting, and I liked the hotel - it somehow felt real with the ramshackle and cramped interiors and steep stairs.

Really? the water bit I think was one of the first things I did and even then I just did it the way i would expect it to look if I was actually in an underground cistern etc :-D ... A few people have mentioned that unlike other tdm mission's the water in my mission didn't suffer from the usual slowdown/fps lag - is it because mine was under ground..? The hotel took me several hour to do and originally was just a copy of one of the building facades, but as so many people have licked it, I will extract it from the mission and clean it up so it can be released as a prefab..B)

Edited by Bikerdude

"underground" is just a concept and the water is the same. The only difference might be if there is no water surface but as I recall there is in this because I kept surfacing for air. Perhaps it's the actual surface texture used.

btw, I've never seen underwater lag in any FM so surely it's a system problem. The surface can be turned off in one of the menu settings but of course then you can't see there's any water unless there is an extra static translucent skin.

Really? the water bit I think was one of the first things I did and even then I just did it the way i would expect it to look if I was actually in an underground cistern etc :-D ... A few people have mentioned that unlike other tdm mission's the water in my mission didn't suffer from the usual slowdown/fps lag - is it because mine was under ground..? The hotel took me several hour to do and originally was just a copy of one of the building facades, but as so many people have licked it, I will extract it from the mission and clean it up so it can be released as a prefab..B)

Dude that would be badass! I want it for my own map :)

Dude that would be badass! I want it for my own map

Ok atm I can extract it without the doors, because Im still learning I dont how how to extract prefabs with multiple origins, and when you spin the prefab all that happejns is all the origins get sent all over the place.

But someone has suggested layers and this maybe a way to 'lock the prefab down' - watch this space.

Ok atm I can extract it without the doors, because Im still learning I dont how how to extract prefabs with multiple origins, and when you spin the prefab all that happejns is all the origins get sent all over the place.

But someone has suggested layers and this maybe a way to 'lock the prefab down' - watch this space.

I just select everything at hit "Save as prefab". Seems to work for me :)