The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Business as usual by b1k3rdude (14/01/2010) Christmas FM Contest Entry

Bikerdude

But I still find the chest key. Can someone give a more detailed description please?

Also is it possible to reach that archer on the gatehouse just left from the room you start?

• A clue to find the chest key is to read the noblemans diary on the coffee table in his apartment
  • Yes, there are two ways into that tower, from the street level and via the guard house

• 1 month later...

Very nice mission, the sort that you love to do every once and a while. It had some tough mission objectives, others like Benny's footlocker just needed some common sense. Overhaul I liked the details, going through all of those houses, eaves dropping in the bar, the tight alleys and that random cat scared me you bastard :D even some secret loot high up there for the real ninja thievers. I admit there wasn't as much AI as I expect but then again this isn't a big mission and these places are not high security so it makes sense.. the tight level design helps up the difficulty factor.

It was quite beautiful from the tower top, and I felt that I'm generally let down by easier FM's, this one made up for it in all the right ways. In general I liked the hideout/sewer system, and the premise of the story even if it was a tad simple.

I think I'm going to like what b1k3rdude conjures up.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Agenda:

Since v3 of this mission is winter themed, I really feel it would be cool if there were a temperature gauge in the mission

where you'd fail if you get too cold. Fire and candles can stave-off the cold and designated warm indoor areas...

Proposal:

Discuss various ways to implement

Execution:

Whine until it is included... ? :wub:

Any thoughts

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@gnartsch, I check v2 if the new fixes I have implemented don't work as intended(if the player grabs them all the Ai in the tavern become hostile) then I will make them unfrobbable - but my beta testers havent said anything so Im assuming my fix worked..

@Hehe, nice idea but beyond my skills atm. Fieldmedic is the only person with this level of scripting ability.

I might try building the script but I need to start out with an idea where the best implementation would be...

Location system?

Trigger brushes?

Stim \ Response?

Distance check to origin of fireplace entities?

I was hoping for a little brainstorming... :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 4 months later...

Things that I disliked:

-I had to freaking watch a video on Youtube of a freaking russian guy playing this mission in order to complete that Benny objective. This objective frustrated me very much.

-Also, took a while for me to get that the stash was not those lootable items. I had to get back to the place just to get the stash.

-I found a glitch in a wall by the backdoor of the tavern.

-The mirror in Barrett's "house" had a weird bug.

-I found a key named "a key" in the sewer's water and couldn't find a use for it

Things that I liked:

+I always enjoy starting the mission in my own room, even if the room is rented or temporary. It helps add to the immersion.

+Barrett XD

+The tavern was one of the things that I most enjoyed in this mission, as the AI was friendly as long as I didn't steal from the people there. It felt like a real place, very cool.

+I also enjoyed the freedom to explore the streets and enter different kinds of buildings. It was very immersive.

+Lots of readable material.

+Interesting story

+The hidden chest in the hotel was very fun to search for, and I like that there was a clue of how to get there.

+Steampunk christmas tree lol

+Steampunk machine in the sewers. Very cool and well done indeed.

+The cat meow. It scared me xD

Overall, a good mission.

Edited by Jon Irenicus

Pretty sure this is the TDM mission I've enjoyed most so far :) Perfect 2 hours' length, super attention to detail, lots of choices about what to do next, I loved the snowy atmosphere, and I didn't get stuck for ages searching for anything: thorough exploration was enough :) I think my favourite bit was being made to *really* sneak so carefully in the

room before the metal chest

. You made that very tricky!

Edited by SteveL

• 8 months later...

From the screenshot it just looks like a long match (you can relight candles with it). If it's just a decor prop you can't pick up, it might not have been a good idea to put it in darkness, but it's not really a glitch.

LOL

You are right.

Sorry about the post.

It's a slow match, actually.

I can pick up, but I am not being able to relight a candle.

I can pick up, but I am not being able to relight a candle.
Maybe it's somewhat unintuitive, but once you have it picked up you have to "drop" it from your inventory and make it physically touch the end of a doused candle (or any other extinguishable light source). It's on the advanced side of TDM's interaction, since both dropping inventory items and their rotation are barely used beyond the training mission. I can remember at least one FM (was it "Lich Queen's demise"?) that requires the use of slow match to progress though.

I can remember at least one FM (was it "Lich Queen's demise"?) that requires the use of slow match to progress though.

Yes, you used it to

fire a cannon to break down a door, but of course you had to find powder and ball for the cannon first!

Thought that was a nice use of it.

A slow match is also used towards the end of Heart of Lone Salvation

to light a flame to open the box containing the heart.

BTW, both serious spoilers above, don't read if you haven't completed the corresponding mission.

Maybe it's somewhat unintuitive, but once you have it picked up you have to "drop" it from your inventory and make it physically touch the end of a doused candle (or any other extinguishable light source).

Yes, IMHO it is unintuitive. But also, I was really tired and sleepy and I had little time. Furthermore, I came back to TDM a couple of days ago after 8 months without playing it.

It's on the advanced side of TDM's interaction, since both dropping inventory items and their rotation are barely used beyond the training mission. I can remember at least one FM (was it "Lich Queen's demise"?) that requires the use of slow match to progress though.

Indeed. And I don't remember ever using this slow match in any FM. I also don't think it's present in the training mission.

Edited by Jon Irenicus

• 1 month later...

I started playing this mission and like with your other FMs, I am really enjoying this one. The only things that are quite annoying are the bugs and glitches. Here is a small list of the ones I found so far:

- The mirror in "your" house is glitched for me - Jon Irenicus mentioned this

- In the kitchen of the inventor´s guild guys flat above yours the snow is falling through the ceiling (but this is not happening in the attic?)

- Near the tavern backdoor, the pile of crates in the corner is glitched from one direction, map exterior is visible (notice: I entered the backyard by climbing over the high metal fence after picking up the loot near the higher placed window) - Jon Irenicus also mentioned this

- Also the upper part of the wall behind the tavern is covered with a really low-res texture compared to the rest

- The sleeping bandit in the sewer hideout is talking when you enter the door to this room

- The candle on his table also easily glitches through the table if you pick it up and drop it after darkening the room

- After opening the sewer stair door with the key, the vent like metallic object behind the door glitches through it when it is fully opened to the stair side of it

- The vine cellar, that can be entered from the sewers by pushing aside the crates is also a tricky challenge. It is very hard to get past the crates and I also managed to glitch in the wall whilst trying to get on one of the crates

These are all the things I found so far, hope this helps :)

Edited by Cookie

- The mirror in "your" house is glitched for me - Jon Irenicus mentioned this

- In the kitchen of the inventor´s guild guys flat above yours the snow is falling through the ceiling (but this is not happening in the attic?)

- Near the tavern backdoor, the pile of crates in the corner is glitched from one direction, map exterior is visible (notice: I entered the backyard by climbing over the high metal fence after picking up the loot near the higher placed window) - Jon Irenicus also mentioned this

- Also the upper part of the wall behind the tavern is covered with a really low-res texture compared to the rest

- The sleeping bandit in the sewer hideout is talking when you enter the door to this room

- The candle on his table also easily glitches through the table if you pick it up and drop it after darkening the room

- After opening the sewer stair door with the key, the vent like metallic object behind the door glitches through it when it is fully opened to the stair side of it

- The wine cellar, that can be entered from the sewers by pushing aside the crates is also a tricky challenge. It is very hard to get past the crates and I also managed to glitch in the wall whilst trying to get on one of the crates

- not a bug with the mission, but rather TDM.

- its a minor bug, Time will be better spent working on new missions.

- this may have been a design choice, so not going to fix.

-Thats normal, as he is awake before you enter the room.

- not a bug with the mission, but rather TDM.

- part of the learning cerve when ti comes to this mission.

Well, its fine if you want to focus on more important projects. In the end, it is more important for TDM to get more missions.

Maybe I should apply for the beta testing of the next upcoming maps, I kind of always run into things that could be fixed :P

Edited by Cookie

• 2 months later...

This is among my favorite missions so far! The objectives and story are pretty simple and mainstream, so nothing special there. I do however love the map and the way the town was designed, and consider this a nice demo for designing a good city hub :) Many varied buildings and side roads, lots of houses to break into... even a tavern that's open and where you can find people, who don't all mysteriously try to kill you although they will attack if you steal any money.

I'm a fan of stealth games with large city hubs... where you meet the inhabitants of each city / town, get missions from everyone with a problem, buy stuff from merchants, even fool around with stuff for the sake of it. TDM doesn't actually allow for all of that, but this mission does get a bit closer compared to others I've come across for now.

I do however love the map and the way the town was designed, and consider this a nice demo for designing a good city hub. I'm a fan of stealth games with large city hubs... where you meet the inhabitants, and this mission does get a bit closer compared to others I've come across for now.

The original version of my first ever map and came 3rd in the first even tdm mapping contest, however the work of art you see now has undergone 3 overhauls since then. The core idea was always to build a simple but effective city map, and I think the ciurrent version does that :-)

What places have you found so far, as Im betting you havent found everything.