The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

Fids,

When you worked on Heart did you run DR and TDM at the same time like I do..? if so how much memory do you have as even with 4GB I'm getting down to 500mb free mem at which point TDM/D3 starts to stutter and lag from hard drive thrashing.. Fyi Dr is using about 1GB and TDM 1.5GB when Im working on big maps like rttc, the memory useals in TDM after dmppaing seems to slowly creep up - which would suggest a memory leak...

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you try using r_usescissor 0 and look around, does it happen?

the above cvar had no effect, but... it turns out it was a corrupt Vp in a hole (for the player to climb down through) was the cause, anytime said Vp was in the players view I would get the blackout/scissoring effect. So resized said VP and moved it away from the wall and am dmapping now... crossed fingers..

else enjoy hearing the screeching slow death death

LOL. Anyway as per my above post I think I have found what was causing the scissoring, a little VP in the floor etc, moving made no diff so have removed it completely, watch this space - its takes so long to dmap/map whem Im waiting for it...

but in that case it was because the light entity was partially inside a wall. Not sure it was the same thing though.

I wouldn't have believed it if this wasnt the second time Ive seen this happen now, on the same map no less.... It was a bloody light, a light I tells yah...!!! And it wasnt embedded in anything just a small little cage light etc.. Well just like before I deleted and re-created said light and bobs yer uncle, maybe this should be added to the wiki..?

Well, good thing you were not waiting on me. Turns out 12cm != 14cm.

However, there's nothing in this world that superwood, cable ties, a glue gun and some tea cant fix. I really should upload some pics of this box, it's such a ghetto beast; now with 100% less screeching death and "hmm why is it so quiet suddenly?"

depending on the bearing in the 14cm fan you should be able to just lube it with some light grease..

Nah, it was some horrible knockoff chink fan, seemed to fail at higher temps (tho nothing excessive). Replaced it with a nice Panaflo, so now it's quieter and far cooler. I just need to remember that there's no finger guard... watch this space for a horror story soon.

fan guard are piss cheap and besides when was the last time you have ever managed to actually injure a finger in a plastic pc case fan, seriously...

.. dosent stop you pulling your hand back in primal fear and then feeling like a twat for doing so though...

:laugh:

Edited by Bikerdude

Fids,

When you worked on Heart did you run DR and TDM at the same time like I do..? if so how much memory do you have as even with 4GB I'm getting down to 500mb free mem at which point TDM/D3 starts to stutter and lag from hard drive thrashing.. Fyi Dr is using about 1GB and TDM 1.5GB when Im working on big maps like rttc, the memory useals in TDM after dmppaing seems to slowly creep up - which would suggest a memory leak...

Yeah I run both DR and TDM together and get the same thing with 8GB RAM. Yesterday I was up to 4 to 5GB in use. Royale is at least as big as Heart and I'm over 3500 entities and growing. Without NTcore this gives malloc errors after several dmaps. Admittedly I did have other apps running like web browser etc. It builds up after each dmap. I just close them down and relaunch. So long as the memory leak is confined to dmapping I don't mind. The map itself runs smooth.

LOL, so my upgrade to 6Gb is only gonna delay the inevitable...

Classic - :laugh:

Ok got a question for you, I assume your running win7x64? when you close down doom (after its reach 1.5Gb of useage..), is it still running in the task manager for about 10 seconds then disappears..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Absolutely. The time varies from a few seconds to maybe 30. I know if I close it down then relaunch it quickly it fails. I always wait 10 seconds and if that fails repeat. Sometimes I give up and go to Task Manager's processes and close it down.

I just ran a few dmaps: Here's the RAM useage with just TDM and web browser plus the usual Win background bloat. Very rough because I am just remembering, didn't write 'em down:

1.25GB Before launch TDM

1.50GB After " "

2.33GB After Dmap

2.40GB After aas pathfinding

2.60GB After map is running

After that I dmapped noaas twice (without quitting mission) and it incremented tiny amounts each time so now it's about 3.0GB [EDIT DR NOT RUNNING. NO CHANGE TO MAP]

Entered game error in the console to close the map but no change to useage.

Another dmap. Tiny inc from 3.03GB to 3.06GB

Finally enter quit to exit and it drops within 5 or 6 seconds back to 1.25GB. Good old Windows memory management I always say.

about the corrupt AAS-file

Ah, that is what I have been doing.... ok I'm gonna have to upload a fixed version then.

Damn, now Fidcals quote is lost. Here it is:

caused by my using I think it was shadow opt or noshadow opt or somesuch argument along with dmap.

More details please! 'along with dmap'? Do I get that right? You can set stuff to the dmap-process? So nothing to do with DR? :unsure:

edit: So after all you said I DON´T need to shutdown DR when dmapping and loading map? I thought it´s better to reload the map in DR after a dmap...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

dmap has quite a few options but I'm no expert so leave it to others to explain. The format is: Usage: dmap [options] mapfile and options are listed low down the page at... http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/

You don't need to reload a map after dmapping because dmap doesn't change the map file. It creates/updates new files: name.proc, name.cm, name.aasN etc. In some situations it doesn't seem to update so occasionally need to delete them before dmap.

Whether you can use Dark Radiant and Dark Mod together depends on how much memory you have. On my old XP machine I could only edit very small maps otherwise they crashed.

Dr is using about 1GB and TDM 1.5GB when Im working on big maps like rttc, the memory useals in TDM after dmppaing seems to slowly creep up - which would suggest a memory leak...

Dmap certainly does have a memory leak. The amount of memory in use after dmap runs is greater than before it runs. Since dmap's output is written to files, there's no reason it should keep anything in memory when finished, but it appears to not return all the memory it requested.

When working with large maps, I can't have DR and TDM running at the same time. I've found that the optimum way to work is to dmap to make sure there are no leaks, then kill TDM and DR, then restart TDM.

I don't know if TDM itself has a memory leak; I've never measured that.

Yeah, just today I dmap´ed your last FM dude(tried to get rid of that music-bug with 1.03), and as I started it I got malloc-error, after restart it worked. Thirst I thought it´s because I was in Window-mode...

Also dude, I´m still planning on implementing EAX into it, I also fixed that 'cannot-pickup-arrows-bug' (I think, haven´t tried yet, just moved them little up). So if you have an already updated version, could you send me it?

Thanks Fidcal, most useful info. :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I'm not clear what the music issue is again. Is it a location script issue, or an issue just with Bikerdude's FM? The first thing you do is test the system with another FM and see if the results are the same (my FM Patently Dangerous has wind all outside, or you could open a map file of an FM and find "outside" or "streets" to find others). The bug with 1.03 is that you can't turn down from full volume, but the ambients should still be full volume by default.

Looking at St. Alban's map file, there are three ambients where Biker set the ambient volume to override the default, "outside", where it's set to -8, orrey set to -20, and tunnel set to 0, and those values will always trump the defaults. I think I read that around -6 is half volume in decibels (but that person could have been wrong too, I heard another place it was around -10..-15; actually I don't know what it is). But if so, then the outside could still sound rather quiet (below half-volume), though I'm pretty sure Biker must have tested those values before committing to them. And anyway I'm not sure the script could even affect those since a mapper-set volume will always trump in any event.

Well, I already said as much in the PM to LEGION, so I trust he'll dig around and see what he can find.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah something like that, but IIRC he reported the ambients sounded unnaturally quiet with 1.03 (when they didn't before), which may be a problem with the new version of the ambient system; so he wanted to make sure that was fixed up too. It wasn't clear to me yet what exactly the source of his issue was. That's part of the question too. (It reminds me of the old issue of volume clipping for extreme-loud sounds, but that doesn't really make sense in this situation, so I don't know.) You could listen to it yourself too, Biker, and see if anything sounds odd to you. Keep the volume slider to max.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Dude, why set you every ambient s_volume to '-60'? Wiki says that it´s most silent value. However, changing or even delete doesn´t change a thing. There sth special you did with the ambients, biker?

edit: How is your speaker_ambient-entity called where the Ambient-shader-information is stored? (the real ogg/shader-names I mean) According to DR it should be in such an entity, but I can´t find it in Entity List: Hmm, I got it wrong and speaker_ambient_entity are all the info_location´s? Or some speakers? But shouldn´t the speaker then be called 'snd_city', that´s the name 'info_city' is referring to as ambient. There is no 'snd_city' as ogg and also not as a sound-shader.

I´m losing it and again I spent almost a whole night with TDM without playing. Too early to start Glenham Tower now... <_<

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more