The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I have the impression that I´m in a completely new thread now? Anyway, demagogue told me where to find the shader-reference and in atdm:location_settings I found the cause of all evil, well, the cause why the tracks were played so low-volume. You set 's_volume' in there to '-55', that is almost silent (-60). However, it worked in TDMv1.02.

I set it now to 0 because the Ambient-sliders are now working(I hope the update gets public soon, though in a way it already is in that thread), so Users can set the volume themselves now. The 's_volume'-settings in the several 'info_location'-entities I left as they were of course.

On a funny sidenote: First demagogue thought that he found the cause, but he was referring to your contest-mission (I´m sure he wasn´t the first who mixed those two up ;) ). Apparently you used the 'volume'-spawnarg instead of 's_volume' for snd_outside and snd_orrery and I changed them now to 's_volume' because demagogue told me it´s better to leave the 'volume'-spawnarg alone. I´ll test now the difference, wait a sec...

Alright, original map has an outside-track playing (maybe a bit too quiet, but I guess you did so because the sliders weren´t working right that time) and the orrery-track is playing too. Now I´ll load up my updated map...

Outside is playing, but the volume feels more louder than before, or maybe not, hmm... Oh yeah, the 'volume'-spawnarg messed with the ambients volumes. Now they play at the volume they should. (though the 's_volume'-spawnarg uses the same value as 'volume', the difference is more than clear)

During RunAAS with 'stalban.map' I got this:

WARNING: brush 575 on entity 0 is unbounded( 449.19 468.00 104.00 )-( 477.49 472.00 124.00 )-( 28.30 4.00 20.00 )
WARNING: brush 575 on entity 0 is unbounded( 469.14 466.91 124.00 )-( 484.04 476.11 208.00 )-( 14.89 9.21 84.00 )

And about your Cathedral-map again (otc.map): during RunAAS I got these texture-errors:

WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/blocks_darksheen_smooth
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/blocks_darksheen_smooth_local
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/blocks_darksheen_smooth_s
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/blocks_large_yellowstone
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/blocks_large_yellowstone_local

Ok, to summarize it for you Biker: in the future please don´t set the volume inside the location_settings_entity and also leave the volume-spawnarg alone, s_volume is the one you need. And a happy new year I wish to you too. ;)

(Maybe also someone could leave a note about this in the wiki-article?)

Now I can play around with the EAX-effects in the next days and also finally finish this FM... ^_^

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Apparently you used the 'volume'-spawnarg instead of 's_volume' for snd_outside and snd_orrery and I changed them now to 's_volume' because demagogue told me it´s better to leave the 'volume'-spawnarg alone.

Ok, to summarize it for you Biker: in the future please don´t set the volume inside the location_settings_entity and also leave the volume-spawnarg alone, s_volume is the one you need.

You have it backwards. Mappers should -- well first of all stay away from both volume and s_volume from now on and let players use the ambient slider (from 1.04) -- but if they want to change volume, they should use "volume" spawnarg on info_locations and stay away from the "s_volume" spawnarg on location_settings. The difference is "volume" applies to just one ambient, "s_volume" applies to ALL ambients playing on the location_settings in the whole map (which you probably don't want to do).

The issue here wasn't with which version he used, though, only that it was set to such a low decibel volume.

In fairness to Biker, though, there was a bug in vs<=1.02 that made the ambients way too loud (and the slider didn't work), so Biker's fix was understandable. Now that that bug is fixed, mappers can just leave volume settings largely alone and trust the ambients will be set by the team to a good level or let players use the slider.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Biker: the cupboard problem is because it's a double door and both are targetting the frob control. So, on opening, one is making stuff frobable but the other is immediately making them unfrobable again. Just remove the target from one of the doors.

BTW, I'd recommend extending the clip through the whole cupboard even if you don't put anything there because the player might put something in the cupboard. Not critical but a nice consistency; players would expect to be able to put stuff in chests and things and close the lid and not to be able to get the stuff out without opening again.

The frob control effect is inexact so I often find I reduce the clip brush rather than fill the whole space or its effect often spills outside (so might make unfrobable a bucket someone placed next to the cupboard even if not inside. But it's a bit hit and miss.

[edit] haha - the above looks like I'm contradicting myself but hope you get my meaning.

Biker: the cupboard problem is because it's a double door and both are targetting the frob control. So, on opening, one is making stuff frobable but the other is immediately making them unfrobable again. Just remove the target from one of the doors.

I figured it was something like that, but I had a wood for the trees moment. Ok let me ask you this, what if I set one of the door to trigger on open and the other on close, or will I have to just tri it and see how its does or doesn't work...?

[update] nope, the only way as per above is to have the trigger only on one door.

Edited by Bikerdude

I dont think it would be a good idea to do it, unless the food is a ~special~ item. Other maps and such wont have the same values and food really isn't meant to be a viable health buff. I think the spawn arg requires that the food is an inventory item, which you might be able to do :)

...food really isn't meant to be a viable health buff

I still don't get this. It should be. Maybe not overly so, but more so than it is. Otherwise what is the point of edible food? And the mapper should be able to do as biker is suggesting -- apply values as the mapper sees fit (eg. stew > a carrot > cake)

And ~special~ foodstuffs, as you suggest could be especially restorative...

Likewise, rotten-rancid food should be a health-smack.

I still don't get this. It should be. Maybe not overly so, but more so than it is. Otherwise what is the point of edible food? And the mapper should be able to do as biker is suggesting -- apply values as the mapper sees fit (eg. stew > a carrot > cake)

I got excited when i thought I could do this.. it would be another thing that TDM can do that TDS cant etc!!!

Edited by Bikerdude

thanks Fidfs.

Another question:

I have a dome roof, and I want to fill in the corners between the flat part of the ceiling and the walls with a triangular curved patch :laugh:

I'm not very good with patches. Best I could do was

capped endcaps

in each corner select both endcaps and both caps

grab top vertices in corner of all

drag forward

copy and paste texture from a brush block

But this brings out the arches too so I dunno.

You could just bury the corner you don't need inside of something else. That would leave you with a triangular shape. Here's a quick example...

And the map so you can take a closer look...

There's probably a bit more point manipulation involved than you'd like but I don't think there's a way around that. Being able to select and move points around in the 3D viewport makes it less of an issue.

where is the daytime sky..?(the one with the fluffy clouds and bright sunshine) Id like to use it while I'm working on the replica of the Tatev monastery.

Hey, if you want to have a little side quest and make your very own sky texture with beautiful sunsets, fluffy clouds etc, this wiki article covers it.

http://modetwo.net/d...Skybox_Tutorial

It is not very difficult.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks for trying Fids, I tried something like that already and dosent really replicate the way it is in real life. Just mucking about with patches on this little map have used up 6 hours thus far..:wacko:

You could just bury the corner you don't need inside of something else. That would leave you with a triangular shape. Here's a quick example...There's probably a bit more point manipulation involved than you'd like but I don't think there's a way around that. Being able to select and move points around in the 3D viewport makes it less of an issue.

Thanks Rib, that looks more of what I am trying to do, I shall have a look at your little map!^_^