The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

There is no new update yet so if you are getting new files it is a bit worrying that you might have had some bad files before? Or tdmupater is getting checksums wrong or something.

About the code def. Sorry, I did write an explanation but then rewrote and it got wiped somehow. All you need do is:

If you haven't got one already then create a new folder named materials either in darkmod or your game folder if you are developing your map in a true project game folder (as described in startpack.) In this materials folder create a plain text file named eg, <mymap>.mtr. (check it gets suffixed correctly not eg mymap.mtr.txt.) Paste the above def into that and resave it. This materials folder and this mtr file must be included in your pk4 of course.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no new update yet so if you are getting new files it is a bit worrying that you might have had some bad files before? Or tdmupater is getting checksums wrong or something.

About the code def. Sorry, I did write an explanation but then rewrote and it got wiped somehow. All you need do is:

If you haven't got one already then create a new folder named materials either in darkmod or your game folder if you are developing your map in a true project game folder (as described in startpack.) In this materials folder create a plain text file named eg, <mymap>.mtr. (check it gets suffixed correctly not eg mymap.mtr.txt.) Paste the above def into that and resave it. This materials folder and this mtr file must be included in your pk4 of course.

Yeah it updated the training mission and windows pk4 files - does tdm-update makes a log, if so who would I send it too so they are away etc..

Ill have a look into the mtr thing later, thanks for that.

Another question:

Is there anyway to block light from a light source set to ' -no shadow '..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Is there anyway to block light from a light source set to ' -no shadow '..?

I'm afraid that's impossible. A light with "noshadows" cannot be blocked with anything. You can sort of fake it, though. There are a few light textures that don't shine a full 360 degrees. Look at "lights/roundhalf"

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

No soft shadows.

The light textures still won't change the radius I believe. So if you are trying to limit the amount of polys they hit and cast shadows on I think they still 'cast shadows' everywhere that the texture makes it seem like they don't shine. So it wont help optimize, but it can help give a soft edge.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 weeks later...

For a blue colored light just hit 'L' for the light inspector. Then in the color thing rotate it to blue. Bascially white is really bright, black is 0 bright and anywhere in between can be white or colored lights.

Colourme should show up in inherited props in the (N) entity inspector for light entities. Then it's RGB to color that light I believe

I got a colorme light working in my mission, so its basically add model, pick a colorme model, change classname to light_colorme_model.

so if you frob it via a trigger object, the light turns on and off, and the skin on the glass changes from lit to unlit.

Edited by stumpy

Depends where it is joining. Normally select vertex mode and drag the vertices to the same points as the cylinder. Set the right grid size or you can't move the vertex to the point you want. Use grid snap on the vertices as needed. In some cases you might need to look at the tesselation setting in patch inspector and change one dimension until you have the same number as the sides of the cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...

Desklamps:

I've setup a desk-lamp model, I've changed the classname to atdm:mover_button. Ive linked a lightsource to the desklamp so I can switch on/off. My problem is that when I switch the lamp on the skin dosen't change to match the lit/unlit status. And the reason I haven't used the desk-lamp entity model etc is because I was unable to change either the light radius or light texture.

Any ideas..?

Edited by Bikerdude

I think you can use the entity.

Then for light radius you just need to type in the radius you want (it won't show in inhereted props to change). Not sure what the command is, probably something like

radius 30

I think if you add

skin

the dialog will appear.

If you use the desklamp entity or most of these lights which have their own models, then you can use the property set with light_radius and _color so for example:

set light_radius

set _color

0.9 0.8 0.7

But you won't be able to see the radius in the editor. You could put in a temporary light at the same origin and adjust it to see where the radius reaches then copy the radius over then delete that temp light.

set light_radius

set _color

0.9 0.8 0.7

Tried that with the atdm:lamp_desk_unlit and the above two args made no change. The light extends too far as it too bright and whats adds to the annoyance is for a bloody desklamp, bugger all light is getting to the desk that its bloody sat on like...

I would still like to know how to sort my own model so it changed from unlit to lit to unlit etc..

The lamp entity - as well as the above, I dont want the pattern being projected on the walls...

shot00001u.jpg

My light - more realistic..

shot00002q.jpg

My light - off (unlit)

shot00003kl.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Give your entity a script object, and a frob action script as well as skin definitions.

Here is the definition of the default desk lamp from TDM:

entityDef atdm:lamp_desk
{
   "inherit"               "atdm:static_light_unlit_base"
   "model"                 "models/darkmod/lights/non-extinguishable/lamp_desk_01.ase"

"extinguished"          "0"
   "noshadows_lit"         "1"             // turn off shadow when lit
   // Let the lamp not obscure the light:
   "noshadows"             "1"             // lit, so has no shadows

"editor_usage"          "A small desk lamp that the player can toggle on/off with frob."
   "frobable"              "1"

"def_attach"            "light_lamp_desk"
   "pos_attach"            "flame"         // At the attach point called "flame"...
   "attach_pos_name_1"     "flame"         // ... which is defined here.
   "name_attach"           "flame"         // Give it a name to pass along spawnargs
   "attach_pos_origin_1"   "0 0 3"         // Offset the light a bit
   "attach_pos_angles_1"   "0 0 0"     // rotate the light

"skin"                  "desklampshade"
   "skin_lit"              "desklampshade"
   "skin_unlit"            "desklampshade_unlit"

"_color"                "0.86 0.76 0.51"
   "frob_action_script"    "frob_light_holder_toggle_light"

It inherits from atdm:static_light_unlit_base:

entityDef atdm:static_light_unlit_base
{
   "inherit"           "func_static"
   "editor_usage"      "Base class for static unlit light fixtures. Don't use."
   "editor_displayFolder"  "Lights/Static"
   // use the tdm_light_holder script object to allow LightsOn(), LightsOff() and LightsToggle():
   "scriptobject"      "tdm_light_holder"
   "extinguished"      "1"
}

The script object is responsible for switching the skin when the light turns on/off.

There are a few things related to shadow switching, which will only work in v1.01 so you can ignore them for now.

If you just want to override the settings from the default desk lamp, the correct spawnargs are:

"set light_radius on flame" "100,100,100"
"set _color on flame" "0.9 0.8 0.7"

The light is attached at runtime to the lamp, so you cannot directly set spawnargs on it in the editor. Here is more information:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Combo_entities

(scroll down to the spawnargs section)

Hope this helps.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

looks complicated and I want to create electric lights, so that mean having a 'bulb' instead of a flame - how would I go about creating a 'bulb' entity..?(nb. Ive already created a bulb object and used it with the transparent gas lamp object)

Edited by Bikerdude

looks complicated and I want to create electric lights, so that mean having a 'bulb' instead of a flame - how would I go about creating a 'bulb' entity..?(nb. Ive already created a bulb object and used it with the transparent gas lamp object)

The "flame" that the entity refers to is just a name. It is actually just a light object, e.g. invisible but casting light. As for the bulb, you can try attaching it to your object via def_attach.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 4 weeks later...

Evening

I remember someone saying how to do this but I cant remember the thread...

1. how do I make a roof 'slippy' so if the player gets up there, they just slide off like it is in T2...

2. how do I with the use of a triangular shaped brush with a nodraw texture do the same as above so the player cant climb up or if they do, the just slide off

I'm trying to stop the player getting to areas in a more realistic way, rather than using playerclip..

Also what the hell happened to the forum, I could post for over an hour or so..

I've not tried this myself but there is a doom material that should make things slippy:

textures/common/slick

Comments with it are:

// slick is an invisible surface that should be

// used as a thin sliver brush over floors to cause sliding

The material has the keyword slick so if you have a huge lot of roofs to fix then you might consider copying the roof material(s) def (mtr file in materials folder) into a new file (to be included with your FM,) rename the def, and give it the slick keyword.

I expect the above material will be slippy at any angle even horizontal so it might not be the perfect solution in all cases.

Note that players might find it annoying to jump or climb on a roof and slide to their deaths!

Note that players might find it annoying to jump or climb on a roof and slide to their deaths!

LOL.. well some roofs are like that, in both RL and T2. Fortunately there is only one roof that is accessible that I would want to make 'slippery'. I think it will ad to the realism, rather than have invisible force-fields blocking there way etc..

Another question....

I have been having a wierd VP issue and lockups.

• With 'r_showportals 1' some VPs are changing to closed even before they are out of the players fov and none of the VPs intersect with a door.
  • The second issue is Doom locks up and at the same time I loose mouse control in windows. The only way out is to enter task manager and kill off the Doom process....

Thus far the on way of removing the problem is removing one of the VPs, but if I create a new VP from scratch in the same place as the one I just removed the problem comes back..

And the above 2 issues only happen when I am that specific location and said location is hi up where the player can see the majority of the map. What would cause this and how do i fix it..?

Edited by Bikerdude

maybe its a z-error a terrain brush inside a terrain brush, or the surfaces of two terrain brushes occupying the same plane.

Or you've managed to mantle into playerclip, or clip, as mantle will go through its routine once started reguardless of terrain in the way.

or you just have too many polys in view. dromed had an option to show how portalisasion had cut the level up with areas coloured black being the worse. Hammer has the same kind of thing for the source engine, the black areas being the worse areas. there should be something in doom3 which colours off the worse sections something better than the show tris option. (r_showTris 2)

I expect the above material will be slippy at any angle even horizontal so it might not be the perfect solution in all cases.

i'm envisioning escaping from guards by sliding across a frozen pond in a winter wonderland mission.

also.... i wonder if you could slide up and down one if you create a halfpipe with that texture. TDM skateboarding mission...? set mouse sensitivity way up and go for the 1080! Yea i thought i read an update on the wiki, bridgeport just built a new skatepark, right?

Edited by ungoliant

@ungoliant: yes, experiment with different slopes or none to see what the effect is. Then add it to the wiki what you discover to share it with others. How do AI behave on it? At what angle do you start to slide, etc.

@Bikerdude: Sounds like it might be the same problem I had which eventually I put down to over-complexity of visportals in a big open area including horizontals and verticals. I did find that it wasn't necessarily a complete crash but a very long lag. Just for interest, test it and when it locks up, leave it a few minutes to see if the game resumes. That doesn't help much of course but it should confirm it is the same problem I had. In the end the only way I could solve it was to remove (in my case) all the visportals in the area. In your case maybe just remove that one or move it. How bad a performance hit does it cause? Another possibility is consider a new wall or walls to limit the views in that place perhaps with a dog leg to get around it so the view is broken.