The Dark Mod Forums

Future contest rules

Carnage

IMHO there should be at least one rule in future contests.

- Contenders can't vote.

Although the contest is just for fun, I found it a bit awkward that one could vote on its own FM. Voting on each others FM isn't that bad but it is possible that due to rivalry voting isn't done completely fair. I'm not saying this is the case, but it could be. You can always leave a message what you think about the FM as a fellow contender. It's just my opinion of course. How does everybody else think about this?

I take the stance that all contestants are gentleman enough to vote fairly, even to fellow competitors. We are one big family after all, it's not like there's huge money to be made that any overly negative action against competitors is necessary.

You can have one mission entry running for the contest, but still enjoy the others, can't you? An honest vote without trying to "vote down" the others should be expectable from grown-ups, I hope.

I don't find it wrong to vote on other contestants as long as it is done fairly. Of course, this assumes trust in the community - just like the assumption that people don't sign up under multiple user names to give someone a boost. Voting on oneself, I don't think that's the right thing to do, although I have a personal idea on how much my missions are worth.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm unsure that we can stop anyone voting for their own FM even if we wanted to. I think the more votes there are then the less one vote will matter. Which raises the question - although the contest is closed now to new entrants - how long we do wait before voting ends?

The actual number of votes does not directly matter because the calculation produces a weighted percentage. But a small sample would be disproportionate.

Bikerdude's map has only 10 votes so far, where others have 40 votes. I suggest you make an announcement which says that voting will end in one week or something like that, so that people who haven't voted yet will do it now...

I´d hav to "side" with Melan and greebo on this one! I hope that any one (player or mission builder alike) that take the time to vote doo so honest to what they think of the mission (in compersion with other missions in the contest) and not who made it!

Edited by Nielsen74

I suggest you make an announcement which says that voting will end in one week or something like that,

I haven't had time to play the last three missions yet...I'd wait at least until the end of January.

Reading all your comments you totally convinced me to look at it the other way around. In the end it just depends on the community to vote in a fair way, and seeing how mature this community is communicating with each other, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the end date, I agree with Springheel, which gives everyone enough time to play all the FMs.

Well I think the option "Open Poll" should be activated, so you can see who voted but everything else is just fine I think.

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Didn't know that was possible. In any event it needed to be pre-declared. It seems wrong to make public what voters assumed was private - so it ought not to be changed later.

I'll make an announcement in the next few days that voting will end 31st Jan so anyone wanting to vote better get a move on. Oh - I just did. I must have been thinking this thread was private. ;)

I hadn't realized it did that. Personally I think it is bad. I see now that it declares it at the top when you vote but if you've often voted before in other polls you can easily just go and click the checkboxes and not notice that. Maybe it should be large black flashing letters. :) There may be polls where voters expect their vote to be kept secret. Presumably introduced with the forum changes. Anyone who sets up their poll that way has to accept they might not get so many votes. Let's have a poll: "Did you realize your votes are being made public?" :)