The Dark Mod Forums

Mission won't load :(

bambini

I've finally reached the end of the A-Z Tutorial. I excitedly ran TDM and Dmapped. Then I mapped. The loading screen came up...

And that was it. Nothing else happened. What am I doing wrong?

Let me run by the last few things I did since the level was last loading OK. I'm on page 6 of the tutorial. It was working fine when I set up the pickpocketing, and then I started from here, working on Objectives, Stims and Responses, etc. I also did a couple of finishing touches such as moving a couple of brushes around, but I've got no leaks. My Dmap came out with a couple of warnings, something about nodes having no volume, but I seem to recall that these warnings have been coming up for a while without issues.

Any ideas? I wish I could give you an error message to help you diagnose my problem, but nothing comes up. My PC doesn't crash, and I don't get a CTD. All that happens is that the loading screen sill just sit there, endlessly loading and never reaching the end. :(

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Something else I just noticed is that this keeps coming up on the Console window of DR in red letters. It doesn't sound too good. What does it mean?

[eclassmgr] AttributeSuffixComparator: cannot compare 'editor_setKeyValue obj_state' with 'editor_setKeyValue obj_idN' at position 18: invalid integer.

It also seems to be the objectives that are the problem: If I leave everything in the level but delete the target_addobjectives entity, my level runs just fine.

Edited by bambini

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Can you post details of what you have in your atdm:target_addobjectives and also the relevant objective itself. The easy way is to open your map in a plain text editor and search down and then copy and paste. You can edit out any text if it's a spoiler.

Can you post details of what you have in your atdm:target_addobjectives and also the relevant objective itself. The easy way is to open your map in a plain text editor and search down and then copy and paste. You can edit out any text if it's a spoiler.

I'm taking the objectives from your A-Z tutorial, and I've double checked them to make sure I've not mistyped them. They are as follows:

• obj1_1_spec1 : name
  • obj1_1_spec_val1 : objectivesceptre [this is the name of the sceptre in my mission]
  • obj1_1_type : item
  • obj1_desc : Nobody crosses me! Must get back Frothley's scepter Creep stole off me.

• obj2_1_type : custom
  • obj2_desc : Pay him back! Drop his incriminating note in a chest so he won't see it till Sam tips off City Watch when I'm gone.

• obj3_1_args : 400
  • obj3_1_spec1 : overall
  • obj3_1_type : item
  • obj3_desc : He's small time but Creep may have good stuff stashed he can't fence yet. Shan't leave without at least 400 loot.

• obj4_1_spec1 : spawnclass
  • obj4_1_spec2 : name
  • obj4_1_spec_val1 : idPlayer
  • obj4_1_spec_val2 : exitlocation [i've checked it and this is the name of my location trigger]
  • obj4_1_type : location
  • obj4_desc : Find Creep's front door key. That's my way out when done.

Edited by bambini

I see there is an error in the A-Z. The entity name has been changed since I did that. Instead of target_tdm_addobjectives it should be atdm:target_addobjectives. If you have the wrong name then select the classname line in entity inspector then choose entity class button at the bottom of that panel and give it the atdm:target_addobjectives (not sure but I think it's best not to just type it but select it.)

Post again if that's not the problem. Meanwhile, I'll correct the wiki.

I see there is an error in the A-Z. The entity name has been changed since I did that. Instead of target_tdm_addobjectives it should be atdm:target_addobjectives. If you have the wrong name then select the classname line in entity inspector then choose entity class button at the bottom of that panel and give it the atdm:target_addobjectives (not sure but I think it's best not to just type it but select it.)

Post again if that's not the problem. Meanwhile, I'll correct the wiki.

Don't think it's that. I'd already spotted that and used atdm:target_addobjectives, as it was the only entity on the list that looked similar to the "target_tdm_addobjectives" described in the A-Z.

The problem with this issue I guess is that it could be a number of things: I could have put in the loaction trigger wrong, or the Stim/response wrongand I would imagine that when the target_addobjectives points to these things I'd run into troubles. I've double checked everything though, and can't see that there's a difference between the spawnargs I've written and the ones on the A-Z.

Incidentally, are the values case sensitive? I'm at work, so can't check up, but I'm pretty sure that I may have called my location trigger "exitlocation", while the obj4_1_spec_val2 value is "ExitLocation." I'll double check later.

Yes I think they are but that should fail but not crash the map.

With the custom objective #2 are you setting that with a separate set state entity? If so, have you literally got obj_idN in it? The N should be replaced by a value: 0 for the first, then 1 if any more and so on.

If that's not the problem, can you upload your map somewhere and pm me the url so I can check what's wrong?

Hm, while I can confirm that the attached map is locking up and I can confirm that editing the objective and saving the map is fixing the lockup, the counter-check is failing: I removed the description of objective 4 and the map still loads fine.

The lockup is occurring somewhere in the native D3 code, so I rather suspect there's something wrong with the map file syntax, which curiousy enough is not bugging DarkRadiant (?). Has this map been hand-edited sometime in the past? I can see that after saving the map the objective entity has a lot more spawnargs than before. Is the A-Z guide instructing people to hand-edit the objectives?

Hm, wanted to put this map through my parser, maybe it spits out something, but I cannot find the map file. Where is it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hm, while I can confirm that the attached map is locking up and I can confirm that editing the objective and saving the map is fixing the lockup, the counter-check is failing: I removed the description of objective 4 and the map still loads fine.

The lockup is occurring somewhere in the native D3 code, so I rather suspect there's something wrong with the map file syntax, which curiousy enough is not bugging DarkRadiant (?). Has this map been hand-edited sometime in the past? I can see that after saving the map the objective entity has a lot more spawnargs than before. Is the A-Z guide instructing people to hand-edit the objectives?

Yes, it goes way back before there was an editor. If the spawnargs increase that is probably because the original does not include defaults. I think the editor puts in those. I must admit I was very surprised that just putting in a text description would make that map work but I did it several times to be sure. So I'll be interested if it's a map syntax error because I have hand edited my own map many times and I'm getting crashes. Maybe need some guide as to the syntax and what things can be wrong?

I see the error after staring at it for a while. Objective #1 has no type. It didn't matter about not having defaults. Changing anything in the editor gave it a type so it then worked.

@bambini: check back on the wiki and you'll see to add to #1

obj1_1_type : item

Should be OK then.

Interesting. The original map *does* have a text description for objective 4. But it does not show in the editor.

The spawnarg is wrong, it's obj4_1_desc, but it should be obj4_desc without the component index "_1".