The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Tears of St. Lucia (2008/10/21)

Springheel

A tip after watching your vids:

Settings -> Controls -> Tools -> Toggle Lantern

There are also ways to set up cycling groups in inventory (e.g. keys, readables, etc).

:)

LOL, you're right :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 1 year later...

I liked it for the most part, the hints I found did little for me as I'd already discovered what to do before reading them (except the one where you have to fire a arrow at the jar). The mission also did something I've never quite felt before, make me feel bad for robbing the place. In particular destroying a priceless statue...

they where going to fix the town.

I didn't much like the environments, far to cramped even in the cathedral. Felt more like tunnels, much like thes which you had to go through in order to reach the cathedral in the first place.

The priest model took me by surprise, didn't know there way one. Felt like some people would feel if they saw one of those new inventors guild models (who haven't read the latest patch notes) which we will probably see soon..

Its also something of a template for future campaigns in terms of its visual design being so elaborate to attention to detail like all those notices pinned up on the walls that you can read which we rarely see in other games.

Visual style/audio 4

Gameplay 3 (Builders always are tough bastards, short length)

Story/text 3 (I liked to see the builders view on things eventhough there wasn't an abundance of it due to the shorter game length than I was expecting)

PS- lol @ helios apollo's walkthrough, I also knocked the gold plates off the table by selecting the candle by mistake, only I did while the guard was still walking around ... twice :D

I wish people uploading these videos used a higher quality (and also, it looks like you used a 4:3 or 1:1 aspect ratio?). Seeing all the TDM in a pixel mush makes me cringe - also, while your video goes as high as 480, it is too heavily compressed.

Compare this with Fens videos, which are 720 and are also much better even at the 480 setting. They weight in at 500 Mbyte per part, tho, but that is a price I gladly pay when downloading them :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

St. Lucia will run with TDM stand-alone v1.08 - however, there are some textures missing (and possible some sounds and models, I haven't checked this).

post-144-0-24446200-1342345997_thumb.jpg

If somebody wants to do something, look at this list http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Missing_assets_for_standalone_TDM and produce replacements that we can freely use and send them to us - we will try to incorporate them into v1.08. But hurry, the time is running out!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Otherwise when people try standalone darkmod with low rated or missing assets missions they'll get very bad first impression.

No one should be expecting to run 1.08 as fully standalone.

True, but I guess people will try, anyway.

For the new version we still need someone to translate the texts into the various languages.

Here is the latest version, containing English, (partly) German, and Italian:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/saintlucia_l10n-2012-07-15.pk4

It would be absolutely fine to release in this way at least one mission w/o missing assets in 1.08. Otherwise I have some doubts about it. Newcomers should be impressed in order to get their help or support. Showcase is empty currently if you ask me.

It would be absolutely fine to release in this way at least one mission w/o missing assets in 1.08. Otherwise I have some doubts about it. Newcomers should be impressed in order to get their help or support. Showcase is empty currently if you ask me.

The problem isn't the release of one mission or not, the problem is that TDM is not yet standalone - and it will not be for v1.08 unless someone suddenly creates all the missing assets.

It is easy to add a few material shaders and textures, and maybe even sounds, but adding missing animations and characters is very hard. In fact it is so hard that during the last 6 months nobody has even tried it.

So even if we release v1.08, it will not be standalone and we have no idea when the next version will come out, or when someone creates the nec. assets.

Until then, all mission using undead will simply crash, and all other missions will load, but they will miss textures, sounds and some models.

And the TDM team is not able to fix this currently.

So newcomers should expect TDM to need D3 for the foreseeable future.

Newcomers should be impressed in order to get their help or support. Showcase is empty currently if you ask me.

The map has been updated significantly from the previous version to use newer assets and features (and the map was voted top community favourite even without those updates). Anyone expecting more than that will be disappointed.

I recently saw the call for translators of St. Lucia and thought I could give it a try to bring forward the german translation.

There are only two (minor?) problems:

I have no clue how to check where to put the line breaks. I guess there is no stand-alone version of a readables editor, right? (I never looked at Dark Radiant and have no idea how to use it...)

And the second thing is I am approximately half way through but will be on vacation for the next two weeks and have no idea how much time I will have afterwards. So if someone else would like to pick up where I left in the meantime or to help with the line breaks or to proofread or to make remarks, please feel invited!

Update:

Next time I should check whether the link actually works ...

The newest version can now be found here:

http://www.grashof.info/...translation.zip

The translation is nearly finished as of today (September 11, 2012) except for some very minor things and awaits someone with the skill to implement it into the mission.

Any volunteers?

Edited by Narrator

• 3 months later...

Bugs in 1.08 version (4 years later :D):

*church patrolling guard lantern floating in the air when guard is suddenly alerted and chases the player

*take a blank scroll in the study and USE it = lock of every other action (TDM 1.08 bug?)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Someone has uploaded a bit from the updated St. Lucia mission if you're interested in seeing/hearing it:

take a blank scroll in the study and USE it = lock of every other action (TDM 1.08 bug?)

This is no bug, I had this problem on my map, too.

This happens when the readable is somehow wrong set (so some spawnargs are wrong or so)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hi,

I'm new to TDM and I just finished ToSL. I really enjoined playing the mission and since my "Thieve" playing days are long gone it took me a while to finish it :). Thank you for this mission!

I only noticed one thing: The last remaining objective for me was to get the ornamental box. As I do not want to spoil the quest for others:

The room containing the box was not accessible as the person living there was not coming out anymore. I had to "noclip" into the room to complete the quest.

I don't know whether this is a bug. I was patiently lurking in the dark for some time, but eventually wanted to complete the mission.

As a side note, is there a way to _not_ kill the guards in a battle using the blackjack? Although my goal is to avoid open confrontation with them, smashing in their skulls affects my digital karma negatively. ^_^

@Narrator:

Update:

Next time I should check whether the link actually works ...

The newest version can now be found here:

http://www.grashof.info/...translation.zip

I tried to access the translations, but the file/url does not exist anymore. I'd help if I'm able to.

Bye,

K

• Like 1

The room containing the box was not accessible as the person living there was not coming out anymore. I had to "noclip" into the room to complete the quest.

The priest went into the room and wouldn't come out again? That shouldn't happen. Where was he when you noclipped in?

As a side note, is there a way to _not_ kill the guards in a battle using the blackjack?

Killing them with a blackjack should be a pretty rare occurance...the blackjack does a tiny amount of damage but you'd have to hit them twenty or thirty times, I imagine.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your first TDM experience! There are some 60 other missions waiting for you. :)

• Like 1

He does sometimes stand there for a while, but he shouldn't get stuck. If it happens again, try luring him out by making some noise. He should come to investigate unless something really strange has happened.

Springheel,

I have found a bugged item in the 1.08 release of ToSL that you might want to take a look at as it breaks the level.

The item is in a small room next to the elevator with two desks and an acolyte sat reading a book (the hooded guy complete with page turning animation).

Directly to his left is a bookshelf - on top of this bookshelf is a scroll which can be picked up - the scroll itself has no text and when used locks up the users ability to frob or equip items - this means your stuck in the room and need to reload.

Other than this the only other odd behaviours I have seen are NPC's walking around in circles near doors - although this behaviour may not be the level at fault but the AI itself.

EDIT:

Found another bug but only just remembered as it has happened to me yet again - managed to replicate this on two seperate run through's by accident.

The room near the start containing the letter to pere's wife - it is possible to become stuck between the bed and the dresser against the wall - this happens when one is stood on the bed, then walks off while trying reach for items on the dresser. It is as if your character starts to fall - but cannot hit the floor due to colision boxes of the bed and dresser models. Bed may need moving ever so slightly away from the dresser.

Edited by Scope
-Scope