The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Tears of St. Lucia (2008/10/21)

Springheel

There have been 3 releases of this thing, right? The original alpha-preview-demo-thingy; then the update for the beta; and finally an update to that, correct? I noticed (trying to stay very circumspect and unspoiled) that there was a bug in the beta-ready, I think...

Can someone verify that each one has a proper (unique) version number, as it has been mirrored far and wide, and let me know which version is the one that is ready for the beta AND has that latest bug stamped out?

Thanks.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

that there was a bug in the beta-ready, I think...

There was a version with a small bug available for a few hours, but it was just a menu screen that was a bit squished. Nothing that would spoil the mission for you, even if you happened to get it by mistake.

Oh, okay. I guess maybe that doesn't merit a new version number (but really that's why they have v3.0.1.12.4.57s) :laugh:

It doesn't hurt anything.

There's no shame in it.

It's the whole purpose of minor, mini, minorette, micro, nano-numbering! :laugh:

Thanks for giving me the heads up - I really want to stay completely unspoiled and you've made that possible. Can you do me one favor and help me decipher which is definitely a direct download of the very fixedest workingest one?

The link at the top of this thread goes to a page that says...

Mission Details

Title The Tears of St. Lucia

Released 2008-10-21

Which is not the one I want. I want the one released recently.

It does also say and has links for (and separate pictures for)...

FM Download Locations: The Tears of St. Lucia

#1 English http://www.mediafire.com/?v2yao2cyzcn

#2 Englis....

Which indicates two versions? Or two download locations? Or who knows which is what and which has the very latest?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious. But, again, that's why the system of version numbering is part of the sw release paradigm.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Great. Thanks. That's the one I'll grab then -- the mediafire one.

I hope you guys understand the point I was making and understand that I'm really not trying to be a pest. It's obviously a minor bug and this is obviously something I could have figured out on my own without too much trial and error anyway; but I do think that page (etc) can be confusing.

I'm feeling a bit like a pest what with these posts (and another set on FM dates and titles). :blush:

I just think that useful conventions should be used.

Thanks again.

And of course thanks loads for the mission!

Edited by aidakeeley

@aidakeeley: Both links (mediafire, bloodgate) point to the updated version. We did set the "old" release data because that was when it was first released and the new version is not different, it just has been fixed to run with v1.00 of TDM. If you accidently tried the old one, it wouldn't work.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@aidakeeley: Both links (mediafire, bloodgate) point to the updated version. We did set the "old" release data because that was when it was first released and the new version is not different, it just has been fixed to run with v1.00 of TDM. If you accidently tried the old one, it wouldn't work.

I think he referred to versions updated to 1.00, the one with squashed thingy and the one fixed. So both would run correctly, no easy way to know which one you have.

I really need to support him about version numbering. In open source world it's very disliked to overwrite new package with old version number. It creates confusion, it brakes distfiles servers etc (same filename, different checksum). I know there are no such problems here but still, imagine a person on dial-up (yes, they still exist) that downloaded a few MB fan mission around the time you updated it. No way to know which one you have. Minor version update is not a problem for a packager and it easily allows you to determine which version you have. Something like 1.0.1 update for 1.0.

1.0 -> 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 - bugfixing

1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 - new content/mission changes

1.0 -> 2.0 - redisigning bigger part of a mission

That's only an example but it's really good habit to use such (or similar) scheme, even if it makes a life easier for just a few people.

And of course big thanks for St. Lucia as a release for TDM 1.0, been waiting some time for this to replay this mission. For some reason I still remember it the most and as one of the best.

Edited by Havner

Those doors downstairs at the end of a corridor filled with hammers. Was it possible to open them? How? Couldn't find any way playing that as an alpha earlier but this time would be nice to see whats there.

Or is it just the place you can get with an elevator on level 1?

There is a small bug there. The textures on a key hole near those doors is mapped incorectly.

Edited by Havner

Yeah, it's a problem with the model. Already on my list! ;) I don't understand either though, why that door isn't openable. It would have improved the mission a lot, because of a more non-linear architectural layout. It could at least have been openable from the side of the crypt.

Yeah, it's a problem with the model. Already on my list!

Screenshot?

Screenshot is to be found in this post in the major-model-issues-package... ;)

I also experienced a bug with the first objective being unchecked after leaving the church. This made the mission impossible to complete, see the stats, etc.

Seconded! :(

Edited by STiFU

Great mission, think I played it for at least an hour! Completed all the objectives and then I got the same prob like the others with the objective. Still a very good mission and it's amazing how you guys are able to create a wonderful atmosphere. I'm looking forward to the next set of missions.

Here's all the FM, without quest spoiler :D

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6E67EC9CFEFFBD6B

And yes, "picklockable" cript door would be a must.....and we'll have a little masterpiece :P

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

A very enjoyable mission indeed and I commend everyone involved in either the original or the launching of this latest version. It ran extremely smoothly on my computer with no slowing down or hitches. It reminded me very much of the original Thief , with good atmosphere and settings . And I just loved those fire arrows , just like the old days! Surprised they haven't yet appeared in any other mission .

Are there no lockpicks in this mission? :unsure:

I am wondering, too. A thief needs his lockpicks ;)

Somehow I am stuck in the mission:

I can´t get to the statue. Is there another key that I am missing? Or is there a different way than through the room with the altar?

Edited by kaldor

I am wondering, too. A thief needs his lockpicks ;)

It was built before the complete implementation of TDM lockpicking system: that's why ;)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.