The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 1.1 (Bated Breath)

aidakeeley

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That roadmap is misleading as it isn't properly maintained - not all tasks are tracked on the bug tracker, and the tasks that are there are not necessarily required for a release.

The team still has some packaging issues to sort out, and then there's testing and such. No ETA yet.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, after looking at it (the roadmap) I was hoping that it wasn't the complete list of bugs that've been squashed and enhancements forthcoming.

Hopefully by "packaging issues" you are talking about streamlining and perfectifying (and bug squashingifying) the tdm_update beast which will go just that much further towards making future tweaks and twonks roll out so nicely.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Yeah, after looking at it (the roadmap) I was hoping that it wasn't the complete list of bugs that've been squashed and enhancements forthcoming.

There is a handcraft list on the wiki too, as not all the small issues or texture additions get their own bugtracker entry: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=What%27s_new_in_v1.01

Hopefully by "packaging issues" you are talking about streamlining and perfectifying (and bug squashingifying) the tdm_update beast which will go just that much further towards making future tweaks and twonks roll out so nicely.

No. We have an automated process of packaging our internal SVN repository into the PK4 files which are pushed to the update servers. For TDM 1.00 this was just packing the files up and figuring out what goes where, but for the 1.01 update we additionally need to consider the changes since the initial release, which is slightly more involved. Tels is currently working on that, it will be done when it's done.

I have a somewhat unusual situation... I installed TDM on my home computer but it does not have internet access. I downloaded the torrent version of TDM onto my work computer and then copied TDM to my home computer. I cannot install TDM on my work computer or I will get into big trouble...

My question is: how can I download the TDM updates without installing TDM on my work computer? Is there a torrent version for the updates?

Are you allowed to run tdm_update.exe (which you have already downloaded) on your work computer? You don't need to install TDM properly, just put the PK4 and other files in a folder somewhere and run tdm_update to get the updated files.

We haven't discussed making a torrent for the update. If there's sufficient demand, it might get done.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I installed mine on an external hard-drive, which has the advantage of running on any computer without needing to install it on that computer. Maybe you can run the update on the EHD from your work computer. I think so. That is, if you get an EHD, which are worth having IMO and are getting less expensive.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'd certainly appreciate a torrent updater but I also understand that there probably isn't much of a demand for such a thing.

Immediately after downloading TDM onto my work computer I deleted everything associated to TDM so I wouldn't get into any trouble.

I guess I could download the TDM_update.exe again but since I deleted everything won't I need to download the entire TDM package? There isn't a way for me to just get the updates?

Also, it's been a while since I downloaded TDM, do I need to make some fake directories on my work computer to make the updater think that I have Doom3 installed on my work computer? I mean, do I need to do something like this: Program Files/Doom3/Darkmod? I forgot what I did the first time to make TDM install properly.

Thanks for your help.

The updater itself knows nothing of doom3, it meterely does the downloading of TDM into the folder it is currently in.

In other words, you can run it from any folder and it will fetch the same things. All you would have to do then is take the new folder home and copy it over the existing one to update it. Much the same as doing it via a torrent.

I'm sure that someone will package a torrent for 1.01 - but it might take a day or two after release and might be quite a bit slower. Using the updater is more than likely going to be the fastest way :)

It depends on which project you had activated last. DR and TDM share the same link for the roadmap, you just have to activate the right project. Try switching project and clicking the link again... ;)

lol at myself, Now I see it, at 92%

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I just want to make sure I got this straight. All I need to do is to download the TDM_update.exe onto my work computer and put it in any folder and it will download TDM into that same folder?

Yep. If you want to save time and company bandwidth, you could also take your entire TDM installation from home and copy that onto your work computer temporarily - that way tdm_update won't have to redownload the parts of the mod that haven't changed. (Note that tdm_update has to be in the same folder as all the PK4s etc. for this to work.)

Yep. If you want to save time and company bandwidth, you could also take your entire TDM installation from home and copy that onto your work computer temporarily - that way tdm_update won't have to redownload the parts of the mod that haven't changed. (Note that tdm_update has to be in the same folder as all the PK4s etc. for this to work.)

Thanks Crispy, that's a very helpful idea, I will do just that. rolleyes.gif

I realize this may be easier said than done, but I'd still like to say it if only to maybe shift things a bit...

With the tdm_update system in place, combined with established major, minor & micro-version nomenclature, there should be a paradigm shift in the way that updates are being rolled out.

Each iteration doesn't need to be a massive-major-mega-monstrous-multifaceted enhancement or bug fixing package.

The bugs that are fixed would seem to be enough to warrant a roll out now. For instance, the can't-drop-a-shouldered-body bug is really annoying (though, I think I've been able to defeat it by alt-tabbing, btw); the mending of it should not have to wait until the zombies can sleep, or smack someones head off (or moan appropriately :laugh: ).

The great thing about having this internet is that it's not necessary to "justify" each update with a list of changes 50 items long. And, also, the idea behind "beta" versions is to get the stuff out to the users who in their many ways and "manyness" can help in the testing of what might need testing.

IOW, it seems that TDM as it is still a beta anyway, should be most certainly a "living" WIP; as it will hopefully always, even after an official "non-beta" is released, be a living WIP...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

It doesn't matter how large the update is or how many bugs are fixed, what's needing to be done is to figure out which packages/files have changed or have been added in SVN and how to incorporate the changes into the released set of PK4s automatically. This has not been done before, and it takes a while to get it right.

Once that's done, things will be moving faster.

Furthermore, a "TDM 1.1 released - look at these new AI types, objects and textures... and look! a new level!" is more impressive than "we have released 1.018 - rat shouldering is fixed; the next version will address footstep sound volumes". Some marketing hype would be very much welcome at this stage.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved