The Dark Mod Forums

Fox News

bambini

Would people from the USA please explain this to me, becasue I'm just at a loss:

http://www.guardian....ws-most-popular

Really? Fox News? I just completely fail to understand it. I mean, we all know that no news organisation is completely impartial (the Guardian is left-leaning), but there are none so openly and brazenly biased as Fox. Frankly, it amazes me that they are still allowed to label their broadcasting as "news".

I was baffled that the proposed US healthcare reforms didn't amount to much (free healthcare! How can that be a bad thing?), but now it all makes sense. Fox has your country by the kahunas, and it's not about to let go. wacko.gif

(just so we're clear, I'm not attacking the USA, I just really hate Fox and Rupert Murdoch :))

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

What the fuck??? Glenn Beck is 2nd behind *OPRAH*???

If that article is true, it is fucking scary.

I really can't stand to watch Fox news. It is just so depressing knowing that millions of ignorant Americans gobble up those utterly ridiculous lies and accept it with a merit of truth that is second only to the sermons of their pastors and their bibles. Not that the northern US is much better, but I will just say that I am so happy I don't live in the south. It's seriously difficult to find a sane person amongst that surge.

In many blue-collar work environments in the US, there are LCD screens in the break-rooms/cafes hard-programmed (in that they can't be changed by employees or by request) to Fox News (one such example is my brother's job at a pharmaceutical plant). This scares the hell out of me.

I honestly don't know if I trust any of those ratings anyway.

When I heard that I was thinking it was one of those questions on the street. Brand recognition ya know.

who's the most trusted name in news? - (Fox's slogan) Fox of course

I'm having serious doubts about america on the whole lately and really want to leave. People are crazy but I suppose they are crazy everywhere. It's just that so many Americans have the whole 'team Amercia' Fuck Yeah attitude. Greed, corruption, ignorance.. The list goes on. It seems to be growing expotentially.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

You know, I get the feeling that America has been polarising over the last year or so. I mean, with 9/11 there was a definite shift in politics and society in the US, but since the Obama election, there's been a sense of people either going out of their way to lean to the left (hence the completely unreasonable hope placed on Obama), or going out of their way to lean to the right and knock back anything he suggests. I think his speech a couple of days ago about the frustrations of US politics spoke volumes. Repulicans seem to block his proposals for the sake of it, rather than considering the merits of the Democrats' proposals.

And yes, Fox has a role to play in this by telling middle America that Democrats will eat your children and that Obama has been possessed by the ghost of Stalin. laugh.gif Everything seems so black-and-white in American politics.

Baddcog, come to England! Apart from Scandanivia, I'd argue that we are the most liberal country in the world.

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Almost half of all Americans surveyed in the poll of 1,151 registered voters said they trusted Fox News.

Who knows how they selected the 1151 people?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The really sad fact is that even though those "participants" were probably cherry picked, less than half said that they trusted Fox News lol.

That's still more than 500 people out there, somewhere in America...:o

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Funny you mention Fox being partisian today. Obama has a Q&A with repubs at their request. The WH talked them into a live Q&A, repubs hesitated but agreed.

Obama served them, rebuffed all their claims, etc...

Fox news cut short the last 20 minutes.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The really sad fact is that even though those "participants" were probably cherry picked, less than half said that they trusted Fox News lol.

Yeah, and "less than half" can also be 30% or even 3% :P Even more interesting is, that this also means "more than half did not trust Fox" :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Fox news reaches out to dumb people, so it's no wonder those people trust them...

(For the record, I removed all network news stations from my TV scan list because IMO they bullshit entirely too much)

Yeah, anymore I just watch CNN for headlines and read the NYTimes.

Not really into network news or commentary shows.

I like talking about and listening to politics, but not like it's done on these shows.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

I used to watch CNN. I'm in Canada and we get a broadcast of US news pumped up here and I'd find myself getting stressed out because of how it's presented. It's always like big bad things and angry people. So I started listening to CBC radio and reading newspapers, it's FAR more enjoyable than watching television imo. You guys should check out CBC radio, you can stream it online, the news is so much tamer compared to the upsetting Fox and CNN broadcasts, unfortunately for you guys it's mostly Canadian news :)

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

I listen to Pacific

The main thing about US news that always gives me a culture shock if I see it on hotel TV or something is that everything is so fast-paced and in your face and the people on it are shouting constantly. It's like the condensed essence of TVness.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't know why Fox News is trusted the most. I am not interested in petty political struggles, so I really can't help you there. I personally hate politics. I don't trust the government with anything anymore. All politicians seem to be liars and only care about money. Democracy just doesn't work anymore.

I don't support or have any say in decisions made by the US Government, so please spare some of us Americans. Not all Americans are what you think. As for me, I just live here. :mellow:

I've only just come across this thread. I stopped watching ALL television news some years ago - it was about the time they introduced the bongo drums, flashy graphics, 'coming up later', etc. I don't know of any news service you can trust.

I generally flip through the text version of the on-line BBC news but even that is badly written, fully of amateur ambiguities etc, omissions, and regurgitated agency feeds I guess. The BBC are now commissioned to compete so have the same weaknesses as all of commerce. But at least I can speed read through the headlines and just read what I want to quickly.

I have heard that The Christian Science Monitor is 'fact-based' rather than 'ratings-based' but it is USA oriented whereas I am UK so I have only browsed it briefly a few years ago.

Television generally went down the drain since it went down the digital path of more is less.

I've only just come across this thread. I stopped watching ALL television news some years ago - it was about the time they introduced the bongo drums, flashy graphics, 'coming up later', etc. I don't know of any news service you can trust.

I generally flip through the text version of the on-line BBC news but even that is badly written, fully of amateur ambiguities etc, omissions, and regurgitated agency feeds I guess. The BBC are now commissioned to compete so have the same weaknesses as all of commerce. But at least I can speed read through the headlines and just read what I want to quickly.

I have heard that The Christian Science Monitor is 'fact-based' rather than 'ratings-based' but it is USA oriented whereas I am UK so I have only browsed it briefly a few years ago.

Television generally went down the drain since it went down the digital path of more is less.

Yeah, I don't watch TV anymore either. Nothing good is ever on anyway.

I really don't know why Fox News is trusted the most.

It's not.

Fittingly, that's another lie that reflects the kind of thing Fox News represents.

I personally hate politics. I don't trust the government with anything anymore. All politicians seem to be liars and only care about money. Democracy just doesn't work anymore.

Sorry, but this is just exactly what they'd want you to feel.

Bourgeois "democracy" has never been anything but the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie.

In response to all of the above posts : do not become so cynical that you become useless. This only serves to please those in control -- those directly responsible for this mess. Just keep your head about you. Remain rational. Prepare and orient yourself. Know your enemy (and know who is NOT your enemy).

People get ready.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Sorry, but this is just exactly what they'd want you to feel.

Bourgeois "democracy" has never been anything but the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie.

In response to all of the above posts : do not become so cynical that you become useless. This only serves to please those in control -- those directly responsible for this mess. Just keep your head about you. Remain rational. Prepare and orient yourself. Know your enemy (and know who is NOT your enemy).

People get ready.

Perhaps you are right, but I seriously don't want to waste my life on politics. I really don't care anymore. I am just going to live my life the way I want it and not let corrupted governments ruin it.

ya, most of my family thinks that I'm insane when they visit. I shelled out for a 52" plasma TV and refuse to buy cable :laugh:

i use TV for console gaming and movies ONLY. I only get 2 channels and thank god Fox News isn't one of them, because when i used to have it, my eyes would get glued on it like a train wreck, just can't look away.

For all the Fox News fans worldwide! : http://www.i-am-bore...m?link_id=29894

if you enjoyed that, don't forget to pick up the chart topping soundtrack: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=29983

Edited by ungoliant