The Dark Mod Forums

Permanent FOV fix

kin

First I got to say congratulations to the team that made dark mod reality and the fm makers.

I like to play all of the dm missions in 110% fov instead of 90% which is the default. I have used an autoexeg file that forced 110% field of view in all fms released except "bussines as usuall" mission. The mission starts having the fov to default. I typed the console command to increase it manually but when frobing an object it still returns to default 90% until I unfrob it.

Is there a solid way to force fov 110% in all missions by overriding the default 90% setting.

thanks in advance for any help.

The problem is that Business as Usual includes an autoexec to set player shadow and this over-rides everyone's autoexec. Very bad. No FMs should include an autoexec. I think the only thing you can do is open every FM pk4 when downloaded and remove such. Probably another way is to copy your autoexec in to every FM game folder when you install a new one. I think that over-rides the one in the pk4. But of course, at the point of install that is not convenient. Maybe whenever you download an FM you can create the game folder and copy in the autoexec. I dunno; all seems crazy.

The problem is that Business as Usual includes an autoexec to set player shadow and this over-rides everyone's autoexec. Very bad. No FMs should include an autoexec. I think the only thing you can do is open every FM pk4 when downloaded and remove such. Probably another way is to copy your autoexec in to every FM game folder when you install a new one. I think that over-rides the one in the pk4. But of course, at the point of install that is not convenient. Maybe whenever you download an FM you can create the game folder and copy in the autoexec. I dunno; all seems crazy.

Where exactly this autoexec is located, I searched in "base" in "darkmod" file but couldn't find it.

If you mean the one in Biker's FM it's inside the pk4.

If you mean where is your local one for you to edit - it does not exist by default, you have to create it. Just create a plain text file and name it autoexec.cfg. It can go in base, darkmod or a game folder. I believe they override one another in that order. So you could have a master in base which would also affect Doom3 levels if relevant. Or a master in darkmod just for darkmod that would work on all FMs unless overriden by one in a game folder. And if necessary, a specific one in a particular FM game folder that would only work for that FM. The FM game folders are the ones in the Doom3 folder such as doom3\chalice and they normally only exist after installation at the dark mod menu.

[EDIT] PS the format is different. Whereas in DoomConfig.cfg you might have:

"set g_fov" "75"

in autoexec.cfg you can use:

set g_fov 75

If you mean the one in Biker's FM it's inside the pk4.

If you mean where is your local one for you to edit - it does not exist by default, you have to create it. Just create a plain text file and name it autoexec.cfg. It can go in base, darkmod or a game folder. I believe they override one another in that order. So you could have a master in base which would also affect Doom3 levels if relevant. Or a master in darkmod just for darkmod that would work on all FMs unless overriden by one in a game folder. And if necessary, a specific one in a particular FM game folder that would only work for that FM. The FM game folders are the ones in the Doom3 folder such as doom3\chalice and they normally only exist after installation at the dark mod menu.

[EDIT] PS the format is different. Whereas in DoomConfig.cfg you might have:

"set g_fov" "75"

in autoexec.cfg you can use:

set g_fov 75

Ok i made an autoexec.cfg in every file (doom3, base, bussines, darkmod) and now it works when restarting the mission but not loading a save.

the autoexec contains "set g_fov 110 //". Thanks for the help.

Edited by kin

No the problem is that loading a save always resets fov to default 90, no matter if it was setup as desired before saving or not. The only "solution" would currently probably be to use a binding: bind f11 "g_fov 110".

I know how it is, when you can't play in the fov you're used to. Borderlands defaults to 85° every time you use something and that low fov actually made me dizzy. I had to pull some tricks to get it more or less right. I binded the fov change to the forward key, but then operating cars became a major pain, because cars use a different fov, hence everytime you stepped on the gas, fov changed and slowly slided back to its defaultvalue. In TDM we don't have problems with cars, but apparently you can't bind anything on your forward key... ;)

• 3 months later...

Only had time for one quick look and my g_fov isn't working at all for some reason.

Hi Fid. Ever figure out why not working at all for you in this fm? I have the same problem and tried everything for this fm. Setting the fov in the autoexec, a doomcfg keybind, the ingame console ... changes and saves the variable okay but the screen never changes and stays supposedly 90. Tried restarting, reinstalling, removing configs in the pk4. Other fms work as intended. Thanks.

Edited by jtbalogh