The Dark Mod Forums

Submissions of any kind, prefabs, FMs, textures, models, and any other help

Fidcal

LOL, my video desktop recorder didn't record sound, so I had to put something there... one of my shorter files... as recorded by some of my former high school classmates, Mr. Bungle.

Here's a better version... larger resolution, slightly brightened, window edges cropped out, and transcoded to an mp4 with a smaller file size:

Musroom Demo 2

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 5 months later...

I finished the olive press model. It's my first polygon model that is not a test, so there are definetely areas that could have been done better/planned differently, it turned out to be a bit on the high poly side (7000 plus triangles), but anyway, it was meant as an exercise and I thought I would donate it in case anyone wants to pick it up and use it (I will eventually use it in the future myself, but not right now). It's saved in both 3ds and obj, the units are in centimeters (2,309 cm = 1 doom unit). No textures or optimization, just the model (in different pieces, but I'm not sure if the groups were preserved).

Olive press model

http://www.sendspace.com/file/urc60b

post-8474-0-13726000-1332175973_thumb.jpg

post-8474-0-21227600-1332175986_thumb.jpg

post-8474-0-50822600-1332176256_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 3

You should finish it up. There are plenty of base textures to use (You can either just use the base materials) or you can use the base and bake some lighting into them/whatever.

Good practice and has a lot more of a chance to get in ;) - nobody likes uv work.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, still a looong way/time to get there (texture work), I will try building on my modeling skills first, but yes, I will eventually finish it up if nobody picks it up. Its a community though, thats why I'll probably post my WIPs in case someone is interested in taking it from there.

Was also able to finish a simple one today, an iron pan holder/support for fireplaces, around knee height size. Its in centimeters, in separated pieces.

Fireplace support 01 model:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/48m189

post-8474-0-05975400-1332279019_thumb.jpg

(Based on a small object on the corner of a photo)

post-8474-0-56105800-1332279077.jpg

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

Looks good. And I probably sound like a broken record but...

I'd recommend finishing one object then moving on. It's one thing to push polys around, and you can learn to use a program good doing that. But at some point you need to learn the entire process.

It's like learning to cook but never going past fried eggs. You might get real good at fried eggs, but then you add bacon to the mix and it's like starting all over again.

There are alot of considerations to make when modelling, concerning uv mapping, etc... Do I cook the eggs first, then the bacon and serve it burnt with cold eggs?

For one, you modeled three legs (maybe one and cloned it). But if you do one, uv it, then clone it you don't have to uv 2 more... Like-wise with the press there are several things that could have been uv'ed once then just separately adjusted quickly for instances. But with the entire thing modeled you pretty much have to uv everything one at a time or uv one and replace stuff.

Also, you could have made the leg flat and applied a planar map really fast. Then bent it into shape, did a quick uv adjust if any stretching showed up, then cloned.

In the end it could save a lot of time.

-------------

But for the stand I'd say you could use a little work on poly distribution/density. hard to tell from just a flat material render, would be best to show wires. But it seems like the bends in the legs have quite a few segments (small detail very smooth round), yet the top which is the largest detail has few sides and looks block in comparison.

--------

But again on the finished model thing...

To make that model I would probably have it done in an hour tops. and in game in another half hour.

But to put yours in game would probably take me at least the same amount of time, and depending on how you have it (triangulated for example) it might be harder and take longer.

So you might find someone to finish them up for you and get them in game (the least fun part of modeling) but I'd personally rather just do the entire thing myself in a work flow I'm comfortable with and get to do the fun part as well as the not so fun part.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Appreciate you taking the time and for the useful information, sorry if I sound like a broken record too, but the point here is just to post the models and make them available, like I said I will be working on them, but my free time is pretty tight and I would rather learn one thing at a time (for the record, I do know how to UV objects (in Modo and Blender, havent tried Hexagon yet), and I can still see some value in doing just that, rather than doing all the work).

The problem seems to be that there are very few modellers around here right now, so few opportunities for starting a kind of model marketplace, but that might change in the future. If it doesnt, worry not, texturing these, and any other I may come up with in the meantime, will be the next step. I did enjoy the criticism very much, and now it would be simple to come back and replace the top ring for more polygons for example (was trying to keep it fairly simple because its mostly supposed to be covered by a pan or pot), and no the legs are not clones, just copies, and believe me, if I had to learn all that stuff you mentioned before modelling this simple thing, I wouldnt be here right now, I guess its good to take the longest road when you are starting, better for learning (and I also enjoy adding little, unnoticeable differences on the objects, instead of the old symmetry, it just makes the object "feel" more authentic, even though you cant say why - on the olive press the wheels all have different widths, and the metal rings that keep them from disconnecting from the wood axis are all different details - sure its more work, but they are fairly simple shapes themselves, not even I would be stupid enough to do that for complex forms like gothic windows and the like). Anyway, thanks for the pointers, will keep them in mind. ;)

Edited by RPGista

Beautiful olive press!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 3 months later...

Anyone know where i can get any sky prefabs. Or any other types of frefabs.

Doing a-z tutorials at the moment and its now asking my to add sky with a prefab but there is not prefabs touse ??.

Edited by LordSoth

Anyone know where i can get any sky prefabs. Or any other types of frefabs.

Doing a-z tutorials at the moment and its now asking my to add sky with a prefab but there is not prefabs touse ??.

you need first extract tdm_prefabs01.pk4 archive located under darkmod folder. Then you can browse the folder in DR and select your skybox.

• 2 weeks later...

All of them look really good.

Many thanks - v. encouraging. If anyone does find a use for them in an FM, I'm not particularly bothered about a credit but I'd be dead chuffed to see some WIP screenshots.

You are no longer noob on texturing. Pick a new nick

Again, many thanks; it's just that when I look at something like Renzatic's tutorials on tiling, I know I've still got a lot to learn. (Plus, you haven't seen me trying to build something in DR. :P)

But thanks (again) - really appreciate the encouragement!

Thank you! These will come handy.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 8 months later...

my first mission is finished, it is quite short, it (quite sucks) but i needed the intro in to the city and had to make alot of compromises, i had to rebuild it a few times and ran in to every problem the engine could have, i learned alot doing so,.. it will be a 5 or even 6 mission campaighn, released in loose missions, currently working at nr 2 wich is alot better, you will see it in a few weeks.

pk4 http://www.mediafire...ikfswxfxxn3fegf

readme http://www.mediafire...ke769h1dnuakkr3

darkmod http://www.mediafire...rilluc10y0s91k1

Edited by Garreth

Taf you, you taffin taffer

Congratulations! Why don't you open a full release thread for the mission? :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved