The Dark Mod Forums

Submissions of any kind, prefabs, FMs, textures, models, and any other help

Fidcal

I've only very recently started trying to make anything of value with DR. I'm not very good at architectural design (yet) but I think I'm getting the hang of things. Not only did I need a good fireplace, but I wanted a change of pace from designing the over-all mission that I'm working on. As such, I went ahead and made myself a fireplace by rebuilding a real life example of one that I found. The goal for me was to get used to working in detail and get a feel for object sizes. I don't intend to use this one anytime soon, but I felt that *maybe* it was done well enough to share. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is full of beginner mistakes and is either unusable or unwanted so take it with a grain of salt. I didn't quite get the dimensions right, but it's close enough. It's made entirely of patches and brushes and I can package it in any way necessary if anyone so desires. Also, I'd be interested to know about any of those beginner mistakes mentioned earlier ;)

Dimplex-Fireplace-300x300.jpgfireplace01.png

• Like 4

Looks good. No visible newbie mistakes.

Only thing i can think of is the pinkish red gray brick texture selection. Maybe you should replace with brick texture with something darker or add some smut onto it. Fireplaces tend to be very dark from the interior because of the burning.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks for the tip. I've just about finished the one that I plan to actually use for my mission and have taken your texture tip under advisement. I'm not sure if I should release my current work as a prefab yet or not, but I'll try and post some screenies later tonight. I have to say I'm quite proud of this one :) I intend to do some more work in the one I posted above, but that will have to wait a bit.

Again, thanks for the tip. And if anyone has any more on how to produce a higher quality piece, please let me know.

Started to add stone tile-textures, hope these will be useful

First of them, ornate floor, made out of two images, so no copyrights infringed

newStone_tiles_01.jpg

BTW check this site with countless textures http://www.mb3d.co.u...s_Textures.html

Got question: in what form one submits textures? Zip with materials and textures folders?

Edited by someTaff
  • Like 2

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Beautiful!

Yes, you could submit them like that. I know Biker often adds new textures, or you could email them to me as well (though my main focus right now is replacing standalone assets).

The first three shots remind me of Oblivion. Beautiful textures - can't wait to use them in a FM. (Something with traps :ph34r: )

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

These are very welcome! We don't have enough metal detail textures yet, especially in comparison with Thief.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

And special Builder-edition hatch

manhole_03.jpg

It appears that it came right fro :blink: m Wiesbaden... http://upload.wikime...sbaden-1949.jpg

On a second thought best to do is mask words with ornament or place Dayport Watch or something :ph34r:

...or "Builder bless thee" or 'smite thee mighty'

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Thanks for uploading the stone textures. Bloody awesome work you be doing here. And it's called Wiesbaden ;)

How about "City of Bridgeport" (not very creative, I know, but it would serve it's purpose).

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

In fact its pretty easy with metal things like this

Needs sharp specular map and normals tuturialized by Risen lead-artist dude Sacha Henrics http://saschahenrich.../nvidiatut.html

And NvidiaNormals Plugin

normals.jpg

Check his blog, has pretty neat stuff http://saschahenrichs.blogspot.com/

Correct normals are supercool, too bad you can't make teapot out of them :blink:

Dam i wanna hang that thing on a wall..

or name my dog after it..

Edited by someTaff

Haha, he already said he'd change it. I vote for Bridgeport Municipal Authority, or better yet, just Bridgeport Municipal.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The wiki has some of that info.

At the bottom of this entry (http://wiki.thedarkm...?title=The_City) it talks about some of the wards. There's an Old Quarter, Administrative District, Pagan Ward, I think a Hightowne and Lowtowne or something like that.

Also on that page you see one of the city watch screenshots. The uniforms have a kind of Griffin head in a seal.

Edit: Also there's a map on that page. There's a seal on it with a kind of St. George Cross with a dagger in the upper-left quadrant. Makes it look like that's the seal for Bridgeport.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.