The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

From the looks of it, this game is going to be every bit as gorgeous for 2006 as the previous incarnation was for 2002.

Morrowind was almost a brilliant game, but the poor AI and questing turned it into a boring joke.

Let's hope they fix them this time round :ph34r:

post-19-1106519782.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the article where they talk about how they actually modeled their landscapes based on realistic *soil erosion*?

Those are pretty stunning. I've never seen deciduous trees so real.

Yup, it could be potentially the best game ever, if they don't fuck it up with blatant laziness in some areas like the last time, but the main problem area in Morrowind is sounding pretty good in Oblivion at least...

'Oblivion features a groundbreaking new AI system, called Radiant AI, which gives non-player characters (NPCs) the ability to make their own choices based on the world around them. They'll decide where to eat or who to talk to and what they'll say. They'll sleep, go to church, and even steal items, all based on their individual characteristics. Full facial animations and lip-synching, combined with full speech for all dialog, allows NPCs to come to life like never before.'

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I heard in STALKER that the AI will actually be competing with you on quests for items and stuff, or taking the quest if you don't do it. Looking forward to that one.

I'm looking forward to letting an AI go into the Zone and get my item, then ambushing him on the way back and taking my item from his corpse. :)

I'll just buy it for the fact that it's doing what I've wanted a graphics engine to do since forever - it draws practically all the way into the distance, just getting ridiculously simpler and simpler to compensate - so that mountain range you can see in the distance in that picture up there? You can actually walk there, if you wanted... :)

And they are doing forests that actually look like real dense forests.

YOu can ride your horse there Domarius) About time we saw some decent free roaming horses in games. I wonder if you;'ll be able to fight from horseback and chop peoples heads of with your sword as you run them down.

I've always wanted to do that :ph34r:

- Emil Zola

character models site

This is pretty much the only game i'm looking forward to, i reallly liked Morrowind even though it was very flawed in some departments. The most impressive shot ive seen so far is the Daedroth, that looks incredible. I just hope they have better animations this time round, i'd be such a shame to have characters that look that good but still walk like robots.

Umm, can someone translate? :P I went to that site, BlackThief, and tried clicking thru the images... but I get this message:

"Für dieses Bild müssen Sie bei GameStar.de Premium eingeloggt sein. Alle Bilder stehen einen Tag lang öffentlich zur Verfügung, danach sind Sie auschließlich den Abonnenten unseres Online-Abonnements vorbehalten. Zum Schließen bitte in das Bild klicken!"

It's probably saying I need a GameStar login or something, eh?

EDIT: But those shots I do see above look stunning.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

After Morrowind I am slightly dubious about the gameplay aspects of any future Bethesda game.

(Not the visual aspects so much, obviously! Morrowind is the only recent game I have where the art direction really impressed me.)

Having people acting realistically is good - however it seems like Oblivion will have the same problem as Morrowind, which is that actual world is very small - less than 1,000 npc's, which would be ok except that the game is supposed to cover an entire province. Daggerfall was much better at simulating immersion into an entire society.

My first experience with Bethesda was some "Wayne Gretzky's Hockey" game for the Amiga 500 or Commodore 64. Whatever it was for, it was pretty sweet for its time :) If they made Morrowind: ESIII, then yeah, they sucked that up big-time. What a boring game.

Well, they're certainly talking the talk when it comes to the improved AI and questing in ESIV, and I'm sure we're all hoping they can walk the walk, because if they do it'll be one hell of a game.

- Emil Zola

character models site

You know it's funny, cos tbefore morrowind there was Redguard. Redguard had one of the most innovative sword fighting IMO. No "sorry you're only level 56, you miss" crap. But that's my opinion. Though the puzzles in the game were so immersive and challenging that their hotline had around 200 calls a day asking for help with the puzzles :o . But sadly, (as mostly RPG players loved daggerfall and arena, redguard did'nt sell as well as it should have. I bought it myself too) it was'nt as recognised as it should have been. Before Redguard they wanted to make Morrowind to have "vast armies marching the lands" and "over 10000 cells" though technology prevented it. But if you play Redguard, you get a lot more in-depth info on the gods ,etc. (lol, there was one part where you got to another dimension to talk to Clavicus Vile - freaky). There was also this Dark Elf Assassin whose name was Dram (hence my nickname). LOL, it was funny in some points too - governor says "what do i pay you for, Dram?" Dram says "for my chilling countenance, of course". and also - "should we continue with the attack? (Dram said this when explosions were heard from the harbour as the redguards were attacking Stros M'Kai) and the governor replies "who do you think is blowing up our ships, Dram?" :lol: . Also, EVERY word said in the game was voice acted. Also, the actual voice acting was superb, the imperial voice actor voice acted for Morrowind too.

So basically, Morrowind was meant to be spectacular because of it's armies, though technology (and money) was not so readily available, and as redguard had'nt sold well to the RPG-ers, they did'nt want another dropped game. Hence why Morrowind is as it is.

Upon saying this, I wish to say that I have bought Morrowind and all it's expansions (Tribunal, Bloodmon [my favourite!!!]) and my mod count for it is well over 100 (downloaded ones that is). So I think you should give it some slack as it was the RPG-ers that wanted it to be an RPG. Though, the reason of low-environment-detail is that the editor needed placement of EVERY friggin object, so yeah.

Before Redguard they wanted to make Morrowind to have "vast armies marching the lands" and "over 10000 cells" though technology prevented it.

...And ISA said they wanted T3 to have "swimmable water," "rope arrows" and "large levels" though technology prevented it :D