The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

It simply makes the atmosphere friendly and inviting--I believe that was the intention for the greeting characters.

Edited by Ombrenuit

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished all the thieves guild's quests and I have to say I really enjoyed the thief-like atmosphere! I love to sneak around, doing pickpocketing, breaking into the aristocrat's manors etc + the huge dungeon-quests. If you haven't been down to the dungeons of the world you have probably only seen 1/3 of the whole game. I haven't followed to main quest too, it's definitely not the interesting part of the game - I enjoy watching the daily life of the citizens and reading about my famous housebreakings and quests in the newspapers that are sold in the streets.

warning spoiler!

I'm now the new gray-fox and thus the head of the thieves guild - anyone an idea if it's possible to somehow command the other thieves to steal something for you or something like that?

Cool, those are the quests I'll be doing next (if I ever find out how to join them)

You should do the assassin quests next, they are all very Thiefy as well, even if the object is to kill someone.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I've just installed Oblivion. (It will probably make me abandon DM for some time. ;) ) I wonder what sign and class you chose? I started with wooden elf and chose thief sign and thief class. I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

I choose the Thief sign as well for the invisibility spell, but I find I hardly ever use it, and you can buy spells that do the same. Probably would have been better going for a permenant boost to you stats like The Lady or something ,or there is one that boosts your agility and speed I think.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

regarding invisibility: I got a chameleon armor which gave me constantly 20% additional stealth and to be honest sneaking was a bit too easy with it for my taste. I could actually walk almost directly in front of the zombies etc. and they couldn't see me. So it's probably more fun to play without those magic items as it seems that your opponents health increases depending on your level but the vision seems to be always the same.

oddity do I have to murder someone in order to join the dark brotherhood or is there another way? I'd actually prefer to join without killing someone, because it's against the thieves guild's rules.

It's an assassins guild, so obviously there is murder involved. One of them appeared while I was sleeping and asked me to join, and I did have to do an assassinaiton first.

I can't remember if I had murdered anyone before, but I don't think so, apart from bandits.

I don't think a quest murder will count for the Thieves guild rules, or murdering bandits etc, it's just random murder of citizens or guards probably.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Wouldn't a Thief-universe city-mod be absolutely awesome?

I mean, sure, Oblivion comes with 16 square miles of landscape, countryside. etc.

Well why not have 10 square miles of sprawling victorian metropolis and a little surrounding countryside set in the Thief universe?

A helluva lot of work, to be sure, but it would be rather awesome. You could join the hammerites, the watch, the thieves; a true THIEF RPG.

Ah well, we can dream. :wub:

But then, the Dark Mod could do that too, it'd just require a lot of extra faction-style and persistant-universe coding etc.

Given there's no proper stealth mechanics, I doubt it would be worth it.

Regards the 16 square miles of content they boast about, it's actually nothing but pointless filler material between towns, just like morrowind.

I get no joy whatsoever from wandering around the endless cloned landscape, entering the endless cloned ducgeons, with the same few monsters in them. Exploration requires the possiblity of unique discovery, and there really is nothing unique about it after you've visted each dungeon type once. Even more so with the leveled loot, since you're never going to find any decent treasure. So what's the point exactly?

It's only the quests that have gameplay value in this game.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I thought they did a good job disguising the cloning in Oblivion. In Morrowind you could easily tell that Cave B was just a slightly altered version of Cave A, whereas in this one all the dungeons and caves have different layouts and traps to overcome. The only problem is that there isn't much variety of style to differentiate the ruins even moreso.

I have to say that Thief was the first game that sucked me into a world that I actually felt I was apart of, where I actually thought and felt like I would if I were the character. However, Oblivion is the second game that has made me feel thus far; I've gotten chills fighting enemies and I really do fear for my life at times; I take extra precaution with things when I could be reckless and quick-load to my heart's content. It's just the atmosphere that sucks me in, and I have to say that I did not feel this way when I played Morrowind.

I've just begun the Thieves Guild quests; but I'm beginning to regret that I chose Thief as a class rather than assassin. Blades would have been nice.

Edited by Ombrenuit

For thoae who've done the Thieves guild quests, the one near the start where you have to recover a ring form a jewlery box in a castle - is it just a matter of waiting till they're aslpeep and takig the ring from ther box beside the bed? THe ring isn't in there. There's other jewelry, but not the quest ring. THe quest marker on the compass ponts to that as the correct box, so I'm not sure what's going on.

edit: Doesn't matter, I must have broken that quest somehow, I dropped the ring in using the construction set.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ugh. Good to see they still handle quests breaking the same way (they don't). ;)

Is there any evidence of randomly generated quests? Like, walking through a city, you might see a guild member and then pick up a "steal X from Y" type of thing? Something obviously generic and generated. They wouldn't be as fun, but it'd be nice to know it's never really "over" as long as you keep seeking out odd job type of quests.

The more time I spend wiht this game the more I'm enjoying it.

I'd advise to forget about the main quest which is probably just a lot of hack and slash, and join the dark brotherhood, which are the bad guys who attack Patrick Stewart at the start of the game. THey're a kind of assassins guild, but the quests for them are all very Thiefy. One has you sneaking back into the prison you escaped from at the atart to assasinate a prisoner, you get bonuses for not killing any guards etc, and sneaking about the dugeon does feel closest to a Thief level that I've ever experiecned outside Thief, there are even guard conversaitons to listen to.

If this game goes on being as good as this, I'll have to finally replace BG11 at the top of my list.

This toolset would be perfect for a great BG 3d remake as well.

Actually oDD, I just finished the Main Quest and finished the Dark

Brotherhood missions earlier. The Mythic Dawn are who attacked the emperor in the start. Trust me - you want to play the plot. It's a bit annoying at first but then gets to a really good ending, and no it's not what you expect...

The Dark Brotherhood missions are sooo fucking excellent. How far are you in them oDD? Cos the later ones become extremely cold-hearted....especially with the Purification....you''ll see.

Vampirism in the game is also improved, you don't need to kill anyone to feed, you just frob them when they're sleeping and click feed. And unlike in Morrowind, noone treats you differently, they just sometimes say "Are you feeling ok? you look a bit...pale". ATM I'm trying to cure vampirism hehe.

But yeah, this game is most definately the best in the series.

Ugh. Good to see they still handle quests breaking the same way (they don't). ;)

Is there any evidence of randomly generated quests? Like, walking through a city, you might see a guild member and then pick up a "steal X from Y" type of thing? Something obviously generic and generated. They wouldn't be as fun, but it'd be nice to know it's never really "over" as long as you keep seeking out odd job type of quests.

Nope, none of them are randomly generated, or at least not afaik. The thing is that every line is voice acted, so it makes it hard to make random quests.

Nothing randomly generated but there are a slew that will catch you by surprise. For example, the bloated float tavern quest, which caught my completely off guard (The ship that doubles as an inn in the waterfront district).

Well I want to play through the plot, but somehow I think my Thief is a bit unequipped for the job, as I have to avoid most dungeons already because I simply can't take trolls, multiple casters, and more then two guys at a time with my bow. I'm hoping to hit a 50 marksman level soon, though.

Has anyone tried to level alchemy? Obviously it isn't one of my main skills, but the easiest way to level it is by robbing bakeries, restaurants, and the food of kitchen tables (the food bag for example, by far the most disgusting name for a restaurant I've heard). It takes two foods to make a potion of restore fatigue, so you rob a few shops and you can easily grab 15 levels of alchemy.

Edited by Ombrenuit

Is there anyone here with Radeon 9xxx card? I have Radeon 9800 Pro and 512 MB RAM. What game setting and INI settings do you recommend?

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

I havea 9600XT and I play on 800x600 with all setting on highest except the grass.

I never bothered fooling wth the INI graphics settings. I get a good 20-25 FPS outdoors, which is perfectly playable.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I havea 9600XT and I play on 800x600 with all setting on highest except the grass.

I never bothered fooling wth the INI graphics settings. I get a good 20-25 FPS outdoors, which is perfectly playable.

Unfortunately my framerate is lower... :( I also play 800x600.

BTW, in the Kovatch oblivion tower there is a soldier named Menien Goneld (in the cage). What am I supposed to do with him?