The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

So it sounds a bit biased toward thieving again. I'm fine with that (duh), but it's just something that was terribly unbalanced in Morrowind. If you were a thief, life was easy street from day one - ridiculously so. If you didn't, you could barely scrape two pennies together for some time, and never had really good stuff. The loud and clear message: success in Tamriel comes from stealing everything.

<_<

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play 1024 x 768 now on high graphics and don't really notice any bad framerates until there are multiple characters on-screen fighting. There were 2 or 3 NCPs fighting me at the same time and the framerate slowed down considerably.

I love this game. I am playing a Nord Thief sidelining as a mage. And oh my god this game is pretty.

Here are the screens I've collected thus far. The Bloom may be a little too harsh just looking at the screens, but in game it's suited perfectly

How can that be? A 9800 pro is more powerfull them a 9600 xt <_< . What processor do you have?

My system:

Windows XP Pro SP 2

Mainboard Asus A7ZNX2.0

Athlon XP 2500+ (~1.8 GHz)

512 MB RAM

Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB

SB Audigy 2

I use Catalysts 4.12 (not 4.1), because I have problems with newer drivers.

Perhaps I need more RAM? How much you have, oDDity? Which drivers you use?

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

My system:

Windows XP Pro SP 2

Mainboard Asus A7ZNX2.0

Athlon XP 2500+ (~1.8 GHz)

512 MB RAM

Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB

SB Audigy 2

I use Catalysts 4.12 (not 4.1), because I have problems with newer drivers.

Perhaps I need more RAM? How much you have, oDDity? Which drivers you use?

What you need to do is drop the catalysts and go with the Omega drivers. I can run the game decently with my setup, textures on high, distance rendering on, grass kinda thinned out, all that good stuff basically, and maintain a bearable 15-25 FPS outdoors with my 9800Pro.

Your ram is what's hurting you the most. I wouldn't even try to play this game without at least a full gig 'o the good stuff.

Here's a few screenshots I've taken recently. I play widescreen since I'm an absolute whore for it..

Sunrise

Renzan, my character

Ruins

Outside the Imperial City

Another Area Just Outside the Imperial City

So it sounds a bit biased toward thieving again. I'm fine with that (duh), but it's just something that was terribly unbalanced in Morrowind. If you were a thief, life was easy street from day one - ridiculously so. If you didn't, you could barely scrape two pennies together for some time, and never had really good stuff. The loud and clear message: success in Tamriel comes from stealing everything.

<_<

Stealing is really easy as well. I'm playing a mage now with a lockpick abilty of 20 and I can pick the hardest locks quite easily. Once you've practiced it a while it's all down to your own twitch skill, and nothing to do with charcater skill.

Still, there's no point in stealing stuff unless you join the thieves guild, since that's the only place you can sell it. Yo jhhave to make your money from quests and killig bandits etc.

THe leveled loot is a bit of a joke however. THe kind of things you find in chests in caves are things like 20 gold.

Since you can easily rob a 1000 gold worth of stuff in 10 mintes as a thief, even wiht a lockpick skill of zero, it seems pretty unbalanced.

You really aren't goong to get any decent equpment in this game any other way that completing quests. so exploration is pointless as well.

I gave up my thief/assassin after doing all those quests and made a mage, since my thief was so weak, I couldn't do any fighting oriented quests. I has to shoot things 20 times to kill them.

The mage quests so far are the sort of nonsense you got in morrowind - 'go find this guy' , 'go fetch this book', 'go suck this guy's cock'

All perfectly tedious.

I don't think I'll even bother doing the fighter quests.

The assassin quests were the best IMO, even better than the thieves quests.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I don't think it's that easy to get money as a thief. People seem to be quite poor in Oblivion, so I guess even if you break into every single house in Imperial City you won't make more then 3000 gold - simply because there aren't any super expensive items and you won't be able to carry all the junk, because a thief character usually doesn't have very much strength. Another thing is, that there aren't many goods stored in the shops so you usually can't find any uber weapon in the shops.

There's quite a lot in the main city market area shops to steal.

Of course, there's nothing to spend it on anyway, since the shopkeepers sell nothing worth buying, so stealing it has no real benefit.

You dont' need to fence very much to get the Thief quests.

It's a hard balance to strike. On the one hand you don't want to be able to easily get hold of an uber sword at level one and kill everything in one hit, but on the other hand you want to at least feel as if you have a chance of getting some decent gear through exploration and discovery and being clever.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Indeed, they have to have valuable enough stuff that you want to even bother stealing, but if the stuff is too good, it throws the gameplay and economics out of whack. And on top of that, if it's just "generic stuff", then forget it. Nothing turns me off more in Morrowind than the generics. I can't even put into words how sick I am of opening a (crate, box, barrel, chest, body) and finding (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) of (chitin armor, steel firesword ("OMG what's this!? The weapon of my dreams!?! Oh, nope - just 1-7 pts damage on strike, AGAIN <_<"), scuttle, gold, redware bowl). *vomit*

Still, there's no point in stealing stuff unless you join the thieves guild, since that's the only place you can sell it. Yo jhhave to make your money from quests and killig bandits etc.

Nice - that does sound like an improved gameplay mechanic. Although, I imagine you can once again join everything you want to. "Hi! I'm a member of House Hlaalu, the Blades, the Temple, the Mage Guild, the Fighter Guild, the Thieves Guild, Ashlanders, ..."

Of course, there's nothing to spend it on anyway, since the shopkeepers sell nothing worth buying, so stealing it has no real benefit.

...and that sounds like good ol' Morrowind again. :mellow:

No, they REALLY have NOTHING worth buying in this game. In Morrowind you could buy quite good bound swords and things at the start, but here it's just iron bows, iron swords etc.

The main prioblem with the leveled loot system is that it makes the game totally quest-centirc, it's the onyl way to get decent gear. The appeal of this game is supposed to be the huge free form world, but random exploring is really pointless and unrewarded.

I dont' know if you can be a member of all the guilds at onve, I never tried, I preferred to make a new character for a mage.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Here are some screenshots you won't see every day, taken by yours truly :D

Let's just say I removed those annoying borders and found a world of hidden beauty...

http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot03pw.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot12mr.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot26oz.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot39sh.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot43au.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot55ti.jpg

http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot60el.jpg

If you want to see that as well then HERE is the plugin file for it. Just paste it into Oblivion/Data, then select it in Data Files and away you go. Hammerfell looks the nicest imo, as well as south of Skingrad.

The screenies I posted were taken in Skyrim, roughly north-east of Bruma.

Note: Oblivion land scaling is fucked up...

Can you play it without HDR? My card doesn't support it, and I certainly wont buy a new one, just for that game now.

To clarify: I know that you can technically play the game without it, but the question is, wether I'll miss something because of it.

Gerhard

If you want to make the game look great on the card that does not support HDR (like mine), go into INI file and change three lines in [blurShader] section:

fAlphaAddExterior=0.3000 (now it's 0.2000; you can also try 0.4000)

fAlphaAddInterior=0.9000 (now it's 0.5000)

iNumBlurpasses=2 (now it's 1)

It works for me. And the game looks beautiful. Of course, you need to have BLOOM turned on.

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

Nah, I play it with bloom on but it still looks fairly pretty even without that, so definitely buy it anyway.

When you finally do upgrade it will look even better, but it's comparable to Doom 3 or Thief 3 really.

not really - it looks a lot better than thief3 and I think also better than d3 most times, especially of course the outdoors - at least on my pc. (I'm playing it with HDR and most settings on max)

What troubles me is, I keep seeing terrible screenshots which look basically no better than Morrowind. The lighting in almost all of these shots is equally unconvincing as in a game released 4+ years ago. Is this true, or is this firing squad reviewer guy purposely making the shots look as bad as possible by tuning the graphics way down?

Is it Oblivion, or is it outdated crap?

My graphics look alot better then that...so the first thought, the reviewers comp sucks.

On another note, whats ever going to be the point of exploring in a game except for the sake of it. There are good items out in the ruins and such if you explore, and if that doesn't matter...then why are you playing at all?

There are borders? For what? Are you talking about loading zones? Or leaving the gameplay area, and going out into surrounding unpopulated space (background scenery)?

Sorry, not having the game can be frustrating. :rolleyes:

Edit: and if you do mean the latter, what's to stop mod authors from doing the same, and using that land?

Sorry if this was posted here already, but here are a bunch of Oblivion tweaks/mods:

http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/in...p/Category:Mods

I'm not really going to try any of these for a long while yet. I just stumbled across it when I was searching to try and find out how to do screenshots from the game. Found out you apparently need to enable in the INI file by setting the 0 to 1 to make the following: bAllowScreenShot=1. I read that it maybe causes performance decrease though and is the reason why it is disabled by Bethesda, by default.

Hah! Glad I'm not the only curiously confused one here.

Also, about Elsweyr, Hammerfell, etc. - you can't normally go to them? What are they, a tease? Background? Do you hit some invisible barrier which tells you "You've reached the edge of the world, thou n00b, turn backeth!"?

There, is that enough questions? :)

Unfortunately, I think so, Sneaksie. I just hit the edge of the world myself for the first time. I thought I was going to trot on my horse on up to a big hillside up ahead, but half-way there I hit some sort of invisible wall and the game said something like, "You can't go any further in this direction. Turn around" -- or something to that effect. Grr. Yeah, for being touted as such an expansive game, which I'm sure it is... I was hoping not to encounter such false barriers. Why can't they just have random terrain generated for me to roam freely in for a while, and then after I roam through that for 6 hours straight let me drop off the face of the world or something. Or if I keep at it for months, let me reach the other side of the map again... like I'm ona sphere or something. Anything would be better than an invisible barrier. I long for the day when such artificial barriers won't be in a game.

Kinda spoiler alert, but not really. If you've seen Oblivion videos and know the general premise of the game, it's no spoiler...

Anyways, I wanted to report back here that I think it's also kinda lame that imperial guards all mysteriously know that I've once stolen some goods in my Oblivion life. Yes, I stole some lame stuff on my first day of Oblivion, and I can't seem to rid myself of the sin I committed -- even though days and days have passed since then. Yes, guards keep telling me when I run into them that I have to pay a fine or go to jail. Leave me the frick alone already! I even dropped and/or consumed all my stolen goods a few days ago, leaving no trace on me whatsoever, yet they still bust me. I even tried praying to rid me of my sins, and apparently the church won't forgive me because a guard busted me not more than 5 minutes after praying at the Nines. I resisted arrest and soon I had about 6 guards chasing me down. When I'd evade the main flock of guards, another guard who had absolutely no involvement with me resisting arrest nonchalantly comes along and then as soon as he sees me he somehow knows I'm being chased and so starts chasing me too! What, do they have walkie-talkies or a PA system?? It's moments like these that torque me off. And now, the clincher. The main reason why I now write... An Obilivion gate opened up at some point during all this and so I ran into the gate thinking the guard would forgive me for the piece of corn and a few other worthless items I stole a week prior, and instead turn his attention to the hellspawn that was surely to be on the other side of the gate. But nope! He kept on chasing me, even in devil-land. This ... is ... lame!