The Dark Mod Forums

Elder Scrolls Iv

oDDity

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lockpicking for me is like intuitive. I don't know why but at some point if just raise that thing and I'm correct. The sound, I guess. Also, the tumblers have a habit of slowing down after the second-third try. Like in that .avi, every tumbler stuck after 2 tries.

Stealing is a problem - I'm playing something like a paladin and I'm not stealing on purpose - absolutely nowhere to get money. Dungeons are full of bandits with cheap fur coats, and quests don't pay well either. But, also - where the dark zone are the good weapons and armor? The best thing I found so far was a steel claymore. Will there be better weapons in shops ever?

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Unfortunately that's another problem - levelling of items. When you're on a low level you will only find fur coats and the like on bandits, but later you can even find glass on them - really shitty. I currently have >40,000 gold and am not picking everything up from the bodies to sell it cos there's just so much junk.

The game is broken in this regard - totally generic.

First impression - Excellent game

Final impression - Redguard the game still slaughters this game outright, and Morrowind is still better in some areas.

Just restarted the game and set my blade skills armour blah blah blah to 100 and I must say that thius game is fucked. Every single oblivion place is just uber-boring now, with Xivilai and daedroth only. Totally crap aargh.

If you have'nt bought the game then don't for the love of god. I wish I had'nt spent the AU$100 on it either, as it is totally and utterly generic. There are'nt even enough models in it to make a decent sized Ayleid ruin which has things other then faggot zombies or fuckin rats. I hope Bethesda turn away from RPGs and back to Action/Adventure as they were the best. Redguard the game was just the best out of any of their games. Plus it also made you use your brain - it was'nt suitable for kids, it was a bloody brain teaser for us when we were 12 or so. Even today I'd have trouble finishing a game like that - the puzzles were just so excellent and deep. Redguard hardly ever pointed you anywhere, while Oblivion leads you right to it.

I've completely given up on this game and am just gonna spend my time DarkModding - at least it is more brainteasing then Oblivion.

If you have'nt bought the game then don't for the love of god.

Crap. Didn't think I'd ever hear that said...

Well, it's a long way off for me anyway. Other games to finish (both Gothics and MW) and a new PC. Hopefully by the time I get it, it will be bargain priced and packaged with two expansions (I got MW that way - full + 2 expansions, $30) and end user content will fix the more stupid decisions.

Well, I did buy Oblivion, and though I'm moderate on it, I don't regret it much, because it is the first game that my dad had played seriously in years. He thinks it's Diablo 3D, but he's happy. So, I don't regret it.

I think I'll spend a lot of time in Construction Set. I wonder if there is absolutely any way to put a wraithwerge either. Make the model, and make it summon 7 super-powerful ghosts that have gigantic damage and speed and that dissappear after they dealt a certain amount of damage - is there any way to make something like that in Oblivion at all?

The way you are describing Redguard, it sounds like a fantasy puzzle FPS, and those didn't came since heXen... What do you mean by an Action game?

The way Oblivion point to everywhere is very annoying... Just as I'm about to figure something out on my own, someone shows up and leads you to it, or at least there is a point on the map... Shadowcrap...

Look, to put it this way, the engine is model based - which means it still renders behind walls, meaning it runs slower then the optimized D3 engine. This is just a minor issue however, as it runs at worst (for me) at about 15 fps. The engine can support many cool features such as physical traps etc unlike morrowind's magic traps.

It can also support scripted magic effects. This means that you can basically make a staff which when used makes fireballs fall from the sky or make everyone around you fly into the sky etc etc. So in this regard it's excellent. Problem is that neither of these great additions are used much. Very boring to see Cuirass of the Savior's hide resist magic 25% (or reflect, whatever) when you can enchant shit to be sooo much crazier later in the game.

Basically it would take a full mod team to change Oblivion from this useless state to a proper game. For example, you walk along a road and at level 1 you encounter rats, while at level 25 or more you find minotaurs ffs. Sooooo lame. Same in the realm of Oblivion. You find a useless weak dremora at low level but at high levels you find Daedroth and Xivilai with uber health.

When I said don't buy it I was meaning it more along the lines of either borrow it from a friend and *cough* burn it or *cough* dl it or just get it when it's half of the price it is now, because it is a very broken game. You can get it if you want and hope that a mod team will fix these fucked up issues such as Forsaken has mentioned (the leading your hand to the lolly), but unless a mod team does not fix them or Bethesda itself, then you'll play the game for a few days and forget about it. It's made to be a very RPGish game, yet even the RPG lovers do not like it much.

Plus those trailers about the game from E3 where he goes into the ayleid ruin and it looks so cool - I am yet to find a 3rd ayleid ruin that holds a gate trap like that or a second ayleid ruin which has the walls close you in.

To sum up, the game was made for XBox and then adjusted for pc - just like Thief 3. I used to trust Bethesda very much in their ability in creating game - mostly from Redguard, but now I feel I've been lied to (E3 demo is bullshit) and my trust has dropped significantly. I will not buy another of their titles until I've downloaded it and tested it for myself first.

Well, for one thing, as I have just downloaded the editor and been digging in it for a while, they have leveled creatures, and just creatures. I mean, can you just make the whole world over? Delete whatever you don't like and even chuck the player into a wood at the beginning of the game without any quests on him, and put certain rats there and certain wolves there, not leveled ones. Also, can you create new creatures? With differents stats and abilities, I mean?

Like in NWN you can make new items and stuff be mixing parts of other items - if I wanted to make a wraithwerge you could just take some staff pieces and put them together until you got more or less what you wanted...

Yes you can do all that. I was more reffering to fixing the main game rather then making a mod which is in a totally different place. Just for the hell of it I made the player start off as a Dremora - funny for a little while.

Forsaken, if you look deeper in through the editor you'll see that all the items are levelled, including weapons and armour, so a bandit has fur when you're on level 1 but might have ebony when you're on level 50. A further problem is that the important items that you recieve as a reward (such as the blade of woe) are also levelled, so if you did the quest on level 1 you'd get a much shitter dagger then if you did it on level 25. The weapons don't become the better ones either. If someone had to fix all of these problems it would take ages.

The game is good if you want to make your own world though.

I tried to mace my own "World Space". I'm not sure if that's the right place to go... I just want a clear patch where I can put an area that is then going to be turned into player starting point, a place where you can put trees and herbs and a tent where the player has slept. Like you start in the world of Cronos, nothing to do with the whole Tamriel... You're just some guy waking up in a forest near a tent with certain weapons, items around you, whatever... And no connection to Tamriel, I don't want to have even a map... Well, maybe I'll draw one, but I'll won't be able to make it work anyway...

Also, can you restrict the player to not be able to choose his stats and class?

And if you said Blade of Woe is leveled - how can I make my world if everything is leveled? Or did you mean that only in-game items are leveled, but I don't have to make such, I can put a wolf that would be the same HP for the rest of his existence in the forest and he'll stay like that, or is that NOT possible? Because if it isn't, making your world makes no sense, I hate autolevel...

There shoulf be no progression at all. A rat is a rat and a daedra is a daedra, did you ever see progression in Gothic? And there you can just go back to a cave you couldn't cope with days ago... Here... No matter what cave, all same.

Yeah you can easily do all that luckily :)

In fact I made a small mod which makes the creatures (wolves, lions etc) run away from you if their health drops below 1/3.

If you want to make yourself start in another place and not follow the stat menus then just go to your ini file in my documents/my games/oblivion/oblivion.ini and change the line near the top where it says starting cell. Change that to where you want. That will make you bypass the start quest.

It is such a boneheaded mentality - auto-leveling cancels out the whole leveling process!! In a really stupid way, they've acknowledged that stat baesed progression is dumb, by putting auto-leveling in.

I guess it's what the complainers get for bagging Redguard as a shit game. Redguard was an adventure game and went completely away from the rpg element and was only on an island off the coast of Hammerfell - Stros M'Kai. Now it seems they want the player to never be uber like in WoW or whatever and thus made this fucked up autolevelling. Autolevelling does'nt make sense anyways.

I dunno about evryones oppinion here. I play with all oblviion settings on high and its pretty fun just to wander around and stare at in awe. But there are certainly lots of flaws in the actual gameplay...so I dunno. I just want a real imersive game already...bleh

Stare? There is nothing to stare upon. Play any game with decent architecture and Oblivion will become the most boring game regarding world ever. Wood, dungeons, white wall. Oh, yeah, and Oblivion.

It's funny how opinions started out universally positive. Now they're definitely toning down.

IMO, levelled lists are just such a dumb idea. They always tout it as great because "it lets the player go anywhere, at any time! Open ended gameplay!" Yeah, great feature. What? Part of the point of a progressive game is to progress. If you can't enter a certain cave at this point because the badguys in there are too hard for you, come back in five levels and try again, duh. You shouldn't be able to go anywhere at any time. It's just a dumb idea. I don't know why they keep doing it. I was sure they'd fix it after Morrowind. <_< I sure hope the mods that fix this are well built.

Gothic didn't do this crap and what's the result? A lot more people saying Gothic was the better game, than the other way around. Open endedness is great, but there has to be some focus or it's just a mess. And stop with the damn cookie cutter generic crap, too.

Yeah yeah, that's a lot coming from a guy who's never played the game, I know.

Eh, you don't necessary have to play one, unless it's a special case, like Mount&Blade.

Well this game has now dropped onto my "passing interest" list. It'd be nice to copy it and muck around with it for a bit, just to see the visuals, but that's it.

Maybe if the mods make it a game that approaches my expectations of what this game was going to be, I will buy it.

Looks very pretty (though my 'puter barely scrapes by the minimum hardware specs), but I am not a big fan of stat based RPGs - I mean having hit points and stamina points etc. and the +12 Hammer of Incalculable Doom is all very well if you are playing D&D with pen, paper and dice, but in a computer game you can model all of these things behind the scenes in a much more immersive and elegant way. Skill points are the most ridiculous one - the skill is provided by the player, you don't need to drag out the D6 or what have you to simulate it. The leveling system you have described has almost completely turned me off buying this game, and were it not for the fact that is is very moddable and has an editor for making your own maps etc, I would not even consider it.

Are there any open ended adventure/action/fantasy/RPG type games that don't pretend to be D&D? The whole concept of player levels etc. shits me. Bloody fuck, it looked like a really nice game.

Are there any open ended adventure/action/fantasy/RPG type games that don't pretend to be D&D? The whole concept of player levels etc. shits me. Bloody fuck, it looked like a really nice game.

LOL, yeah I hate the rpg concept too. In a game there's no need to "simulate" skill as it can be based on the player's skill not an abstract value.

As for non rpg ish games set in medieval fantasyish type shit, check out Project Offset - it's a medieval fps but apparently very good. Not out yet but it's one to look forward to.

Or if you're the action/adventure game type you could try Redguard if you can 1) find it on the net or something and 2) don't mind old graphics and DOSBox. I was actually gonna make a mod for Oblivion which would basically be like an Action/Adventure - you would'nt raise in skill or level by yourself and only in certain points in the game would it raise your stats by scripts. I was planning to have it on the Island of Stirk, off the coast of Cyrodiil. But then when I weighed out the time needed to get it done and the resources I just dumped it and decided to rather spend that time on Darkmod, as Thief is still my favourite genre.

I had a look around the web, and I found on http://www.elderscrolls-oblivion.com/ a range of mods that aim to fix some of the problems aforementioned in this thread, such as "Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul". There are quite a large number of mods that aim to fix the gameplay balance and make the game a shade more realistic and rewarding to play....

I'd still prefer a mod that abolishes the level concept entirely, but these type of mods might make the game worth buying at some point (I'll be waiting for the price to drop, though).