The Dark Mod Forums

Movies of All Time

jdude

I really liked the sharing of favorite and hated movies of 2009 thread we have so why not make one of favorite movies of all time? Any year any genre, the more rare the better :) I'll get the ball rolling with:

Kung Fu Hustle (2006): It's a film from China that I never saw any previews or ads for when it came out over here in Canada. I thought it was funny and had good effects and kept me interested the entire time. The stuff they did reminds me a lot of the cartoons that you always see with the super human abilities turned into a live action movie.

My favorites are:

#3- Dear Friends (2007): Very sad Japanese drama movie, no special effects, maybe possible to make with a budged of 500 € but the story is really good.

#2- Silent Hill (2006): imo the best horror movie ever created, not one of those zombie, splatter, 100 shock scene movies, just horror with really nice effects, very good and fitting sounds and music and good story but the best thing its free of clichés like "oh no this is a horror movie, we have to get seperated to get killed more easily"

#1- Final Fantasy Advent Children (Complete) (2005&2009) Yes, my number one is an animated movie. Its telling the story of Cloud and his friends 2 jears after Final Fantasy 7. I can only recommend this movie for FF7 fans because if you dont know it, the story wont tell you much. But if you really like animated movies you can sure take a look but for the sake of you ears and brain... don't choose the german or english dub version... REALLY dont ^^

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Oh yeah, I liked Silent Hill very much as well. But I am biased in this concern, because I loved the shit out of SH 2!! :) Kung Fu Hustle was also kind of fun visually and action-wise, but it suffered from a poor plot I think. It's been a long time since I watched it...

Hehe Sonosuke, I also played FF7 and I laughed my ass off about the battle-won-theme-ringtone in Advent Children!! :D But to be honest, despite some really good renders and action, the movie didn't have that much to offer imo.

Here's my list of favorite movies:

• Matrix: Watched it over 40 times at least, while I watched part 2 and 3 only once each.
  • Mr and Mrs Smith: This movie simply has charm.
  • Fight Club: Classic!
  • Pan's Labyrinth: Very good, but apparently this movie suffers from a low rewatchabilty.
  • Kung Fu Panda: "Legend tells of a legendary warrior whose Kung Fu skills were the stuff of legend. He was so deadly in fact, that his enemies would go blind from overexposure to pure awesomeness!" :D It's basically just the intro scene I really like about this movie, because of the wording...
  • Crank
  • In China They Eat Dogs: I don't know how known this movie is internationally. It's damn funny in an awkward way.
  • Butterfly Effect
  • Postal: The trailers said there are no taboos in this movie and they were right... :)
  • I am Legend: Not much of a good plot or anything, but the images are amazing.

Oh yeah, I liked Silent Hill very much as well. But I am biased in this concern, because I loved the shit out of SH 2!! :)

Hehe same here

Hehe Sonosuke, I also played FF7 and I laughed my ass off about the battle-won-theme-ringtone in Advent Children!! :D But to be honest, despite some really good renders and action, the movie didn't have that much to offer imo.

I think everyone laugh-ed there^^

Yeah its a matter of taste but if you are talking about the normal ed. you should really try the complete version in full HD :-)

I am legend was really good! The rest was not my taste.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

The Seventh Seal: Ingmar Bergman at his best. Beautiful shadow and light, iconic scenes, and while tremendously depressive, it offers a hint of hope that is just beautiful.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'll simply present a list, and fill in observations here and there:

There Will Be Blood: This is currently my greatest movie of all time. Daniel Day-Lewis is my favorite actor, and his presence in this movie is stunning. Also, I highly recommend checking out the associated classical music soundtrack, composed by Jonny Greenwood (who is also a member of Radiohead (though, there's little similarity to the music styles)).

The Good Shepherd: This one's only for the patient and the mystery buffs. It necessitates more mental engagement than your average movie (don't plan on languishing during its events, or you may be left completely clueless by the time you reach the end), but--if that's not an issue--the movie may sit amongst your best.

The Aviator

American Psycho: Christian Bale's best performance, by far (if you've read the book it's based on (also "American Psycho"), his ability to capture the "protagonist"'s persona and transfer it to the screen is insane. It's a shame what sort of hollywood crap he's been dabbling in over the past few years. On the other hand, based on some audio from an outburst of his on the set of that recent Terminator abomination, I'm beginning to think his actual personality may not be too far from the Patrick Bateman character himself ... which could explain a lot of things (ie why he was chosen over Leonardo Dicaprio to play the role)

12 Monkeys

Miller's Crossing

Alien: (and hated each and every sequel)

About Schmidt

The Truman Show

Rear Window

The Man Who Wasn't There

Apocalypto: The jews may have torn this movie apart in the reviews (an unusually large portion of well-known movie critics are Jewish)--or at least tried to (it's sort of difficult to make this movie look bad), but I don't care if Mel Gibson is a nut. He's a great director (most of the time, anyway).

Gangs of New York

Capote

Taxi Driver

A Prophet: This is a movie that will be remembered, perhaps amongst other big-name crime dramas like The Godfather. I also made note of this in the "2009 Movies" thread, but I feel obligated to include it once again.

Das Boot: (the original, 1980's "Das Boot") This is my favorite world war 2 movie, and if you've got 3-4 hours to spare (it's that long), I highly recommend it.

Das Leben Der Anderen

The Prestige

Vertigo

The Big Lebowski

Solaris (I really enjoyed the original and the remake)

Good Will Hunting

Insomnia

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

No Country For Old Men

Being John Malkovich

The Last of the Mohicans

Burn After Reading

The Last King of Scotland

The Green Mile

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Departed

Charlie Wilson's War

Cast Away

Memento

Catch Me If You Can

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

That's good enough for now, I suppose. I'll come back and update it later.

There is also an upcoming WW2 movie based on my favorite WW2 book, "The Forgotten Soldier". "The Forgotten Soldier" is a true story from a German's perspective on the Eastern front, and it is probably the closest reference through which one can understand war in that time from a soldier's eyes--without actually having to experience it one's self. I really hope Paul Verhoeven doesn't mess this one up, but his past record (good: Soldier of Orange, Black Book; bad: Starship Troopers, The Thomas Crown Affair, Hollow Man *shudder*) is questionable. The fact that it's in spoken English doesn't bode well either; that's just wrong for this sort of movie. Get German speaking actors!

Like most people I could write a long list here, but I prefer to keep the thread clean. Just two:

Persepolis. I don't have words for that one. :ph34r:

Then there is An American Haunting. I don't actually like the movie but what impressed me was the way it sounds. You can almost close your eyes and just listen to it. :)

One of my most hated movies is Spider-Man 3, just after X-Men 3. Both movies were horrid crap. 

Movies that I own on DVD (which always is a sign that one loves them):

Predator 1 and 2

Pitch Black (Special Edition)

The Chronicles of Riddick (as well as the Director's Cut)

Fight Club

The Matrix (same as with STiFU)

Equilibrium

Evolution

Serenity (and the associated show Firefly)

Not really falling into the category of a movie, but great (and in my DVD shelf) as well: BSG and Eureka.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

@woah: Why did you think Starship Troopers was bad? Okay, it wasn't the right-wing, reactionist crap the book was (actually the other way around), but a truly great movie non the less. I agree on most of your other choices, though, except Alien. Alien_s_ (the first sequel) is one of my other favourite movies that didn't make it into my list.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Phew, Equilibrium felt like pure posing and Matrix-fake to me. Didn't like it, sorry... :) But Serenity was cool, yeah!!

@plasticman: I'd rather have people post bigger lists, because then you can better tell what type of movies they like and if those are compatible with your taste, if you want to check some out that you didn't know yet!

I really liked the sharing of favorite and hated movies of 2009 thread we have so why not make one of favorite movies of all time? Any year any genre, the more rare the better smile.gif I'll get the ball rolling with:

Kung Fu Hustle (2006): It's a film from China that I never saw any previews or ads for when it came out over here in Canada. I thought it was funny and had good effects and kept me interested the entire time. The stuff they did reminds me a lot of the cartoons that you always see with the super human abilities turned into a live action movie.

Agreed, an all time classic. I own it and have watched it at least 10 times. Everything about it is top notch. I think it will always be in my top 10 list. I'm not a huge kung-fu movie fan, but this one goes beyond a regular kung fu flick, funny, great story, great effects...

Steven Chow (lead actor/director) also did Shoalin Soccer before this. It was OK, but nothing special.

A Scanner Darkly: I want to read the novel now. But great story about drug addiction/conspiracy. Great cast, Woody Harrelson, Robert Downey Jr., Winona Rider, Keanue Reeves. Was done by same crew that did 'A walking Life'.

They filmed the entire movie, then they handed it over to the art team who painted over each frame to give it an animated/painterly look. Fit the movie so well and expertly done. Something like 20-30 painters working for a year. small teams each dedicated to one character so that character always had a certian feel of it's own.

Amazing.

City of Lost Children: Foreign film, French I think. Subtitled but very little speaking anyway. If you like weird trippy movies get this. VERY steampunk.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

@plasticman: I'd rather have people post bigger lists, because then you can better tell what type of movies they like and if those are compatible with your taste, if you want to check some out that you didn't know yet!

Sorry! I didn't mean to suggest people should not do this. Of course long posts give a better read. :)

It's just me who is too lazy to write down a comprehensive personal list...

I didn't mean to suggest people should not do this...

What about "the jews"? I wonder how they will do this?

<_<

FFS.

"the jews"

<_<

Aaaaaaaanyway, couple of my all-time favorites

• Brazil
  • The Unbelievable Truth

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

"oh no this is a horror movie, we have to get seperated to get killed more easily"
LOL - yes, only 6:30am but this is the laugh of the day. The only comparable cliche I can think of is in a disaster movie where there's usually a little dog that wanders away and a stupid kid that wanders after it.

@Jdude: yes, I borrowed Kung Fu Hustle off a friend and really want to see it again.

As for lists. I gave up on that when I exceeded 100 all-time greats. I might mention one recent animated classic I don't think has been listed: Beowulf which I think is perfectly made. I never give anything 100/100 but it's hard to find a single fault with this. Check out in particular the supreme mastery of sarcasm of that priest guy when he derides Beowulf's heroic claims.

"the jews"

:huh:

And the strawman of the year award goes to...

----------

In order to contribute, I'll mention "Sunshine" as not a movie of all time, but one that had promise to be the next "2010". Argh, then they blew it at the end! Check it out if you're into the "2000" movies, but expect it to fall apart when... ah well, you'll see.

I'll also add that I'm both warmed and in some case shocked by some of the mentions here. But I'll leave that to taste. ^_^

In most cases I dislike movies when their only purpose is entertainment. Especially comedy stuff can be annoying when it clearly avoids any deeper meaning or any crossing the line to satire. I think most blockbusters do nothing but stimulate different emotions. All you can get from watching these is reflecting on the poorness of a society that needs these cheap stimulations.

But -- luckily -- there are few films that are different. Films that try to handle materials that are not so easy to swallow. While it is not really entertaining to watch they can teach you something. Some of these gems are really fascinating. I mentioned Persepolis -- it's an animated autobiographical film by an Iranian women, a moral statement against the suppressive government. I really learned from that film.

Also remarkable is Schindler's List by Steven Spielberg. Although he's usually the blockbuster-guy this one stands out as a reminder to the holocaust. While the sickness of the historical event can not adequately be put in any media, let alone a movie, it is sure a good start for anyone lacking education about this topic.

City of Lost Children: Foreign film, French I think. Subtitled but very little speaking anyway. If you like weird trippy movies get this. VERY steampunk.

Does that movie have anything to do with the bad game for ps1?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/adventure/cityoflostchildrenthe/

Does that movie have anything to do with the bad game for ps1?

http://www.gamespot....ostchildrenthe/

Possibly, the cover pic does look alot like the lead evil guy. And the screen shot above the water does look like a scene in the movie. And they have the same name. But I think someone like CYAN would have to make it to pull it off good. I think if it was done like Myst of Riven, it could be a very cool game, kindof has that same isolated, lonely, mysterious feel beautifully rendered.

Possibly, the cover pic does look alot like the lead evil guy. And the screen shot above the water does look like a scene in the movie. And they have the same name. But I think someone like CYAN would have to make it to pull it off good. I think if it was done like Myst of Riven, it could be a very cool game, kindof has that same isolated, lonely, mysterious feel beautifully rendered.

Well a new Myst would be cool anyway, but one with real actors like in the old parts...

Just watched "2012", not too bad at all.

I just came back from "Shutter Island"

It's definitely not one of Scorsese's best, but I was pretty intrigued until about half way in (after which it took a turn for the worse). Dicaprio does his best to make the most of it, but, alas, "garbage-in, garbage-out". This is not to say it's horrible ... I mean, I would never go out of my way to catch it, but it's one of those films I wouldn't mind stumbling upon on a lazy Saturday afternoon--on one of those commercialess "Encore" movie channels or something (but I suppose that's not even possible, granted I don't have television).

I typed up a large list of films and added descriptions talking about them. These films weren't so obvious, but they were all awesome. Just as I was ready to click to post, the browser crashed. I lost everything and now I'm pissed. I'll rewrite when I have time.

How could I forget

Bram Stokers Drakula ? I'm not a big vampire film buff, Twilight is just plain stupid.

But Drakula got everything right IMO. Great story, effects, chilling visions...

Not a stupid vampire flick but the ultimate Epic vampire flick about the original vampire, how he became that way and the totured life he led for centuries trying to find his lost love (that led to damnation in the first place).

I still haven't seen his Frankestien flick, I gotta check that out, hopefully (doubtful though) it's as good. One of those movies I have seen 10+ times and I could still watch it more (when I'm bored).

But most movies I can't stand to watch more than once or twice.

How could I forget

Bram Stokers Drakula ? I'm not a big vampire film buff, Twilight is just plain stupid.

But Drakula got everything right IMO. Great story, effects, chilling visions...

Not a stupid vampire flick but the ultimate Epic vampire flick about the original vampire, how he became that way and the totured life he led for centuries trying to find his lost love (that led to damnation in the first place).

I was in the mood for a vampire film (I've yet to see a good one), so I took a chance with this. Overall, it was pretty entertaining--if a bit drawn out towards the end. What I particularly enjoyed was the goofyness aspect of it; from time to time, I like movies that don't take themselves too seriously (ie those Batman movies from the early 90's and late 80's; they're pretty funny).

I really enjoyed Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers (and could enjoy it without a feeling of guilt before I learned he is kind of a dirtbag); it's of course a comedy, but there is a lot of beautiful photography, great scenes, likeable characters and even a good story in it. And Murnau's original Nosferatu is where it is where scarier vampires are concerned - most horror is not so chilling, but this B&W movie gave a kind of sickening quality to the vampire with the association of rats and pestilence that, while not frightening, is enough to make me uncomfortable. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved