The Dark Mod Forums

Amnesia - The Dark Descent

HMart

That teaser! Man that was scary! But honestly, it totally looked like a graphically improved version of TDM.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

That teaser! Man that was scary! But honestly, it totally looked like a graphically improved version of TDM.

IMHO, graphics was not so advanced. Noy so better then TDM, anyway. The difference in Amnesia/penumbra is the interaction factor, based on physics. The game itself is a sequence of puzzle to solve with physics, with an horror/lovecraftian story behind to have an high tension. I see in the teaser that this next game will be exactly the same structure.

A great mix, but in Penumbra the gaming was too scripted and monotone, IMHO, not open and free to explore like in Thief.

Release date? :o

In 6 months about: August 2010.

A little indy gem in today gaming.

I don't like some things in this kind of super scripted game, but, hey, for a 2 men work it's really *incredible*. And what athmosphere and interaction!

I can't wait :D

If I remember correctly, I think I read that there were some original Thief developers working at this company.

I don't think so, because "This company" it's 2 guy driven from Sweden, Thomas and Jens, a very zero budget project.

Edited by Ladro

I don't think so, because "This company" it's 2 guy driven from Sweden, Thomas and Jens, a very zero budget project.

No, I'm positive about this. During the making of the Penumbra series there was some input somewhere from ex-Thief developers. They might not have worked directly with the team, but i'm sure I read someone had some input, gave them feedback or something. Either that or they were inspired by Thief.

I had some communication with the penumbra team a few years ago. I'll have to look up those emails. They might have mentioned it in there.

That trailer looks very promising. I guess that game will be pretty challenging. But Penumbra was too at first I think. I have just ordered the collector pack by the way, because I noticed there was an addon for black plague that I didn't play yet and 15€ is definitely worth those 3 games.

Wow. Penumbra + Chulhu? Holy @#$!

Hehe, I think we have the same taste in games. :) I loved Cthulhu. Although the engine wasn't so good it looked damn cool sometimes... Good designers!! But despite the looks, the atmosphere was just awesome.

All I remember is that they got ripped off by the company who sold the first game, as in the sales from the first game was going to make the second and third parts, but the company that sold the game disappeared with all the money. So the second game was made up from parts they had done for the 2nd and 3rd games. From the money they made from the 2nd part they added a third part, haven't played the third part, so dont know if it extends the story or is an extra bit.

I didn't think the trailer was anything special. It wasn't scary either (apart from the bit that makes you jump). The audio feedback from the character just makes me feel disengaged.

The actual game might be good though. I know better than to trust a trailer, and I love Penumbra.

• 9 months later...

Emmm. I don't think that "Amnesia" is so scary game. After "Penumbra" is seems weakly horror.

Primary mistake authors, by my vision, is:

1) almost visual effects (hallucinations)

2) and authors scaring character, no player.

Is prevents to consider the details. I think, not enough Fantasia to creating variaty horror-situations. Most is:

* Draught, voices

* stupid Zombies, from which me hiding into closet or next room

* visions and flashbacks

And over. And we always see this, again, again, again.

Then after 10's times i understand - nothing to fear. Draught is nothing dangerous and zombies so stupid to come in next room or open closet.

All fear - is do graphic and sounds :(. Is'nt enough! Very rarely meeting from "dangers" is inevitable and danger for health. E.g. is water-phantoms to "Old archive" (same is Demo), monster in sewers (which need deflect) and pursuit shadow to long corridors.

May disсuss this.

P.S. I'm not rated a Plot, too much text, not read.

Edited by LongShad

• 8 months later...

Here is a GDC video with one of the developers that has recently been made public. He goes over some interesting ideas for the design of a horror title:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014889/Evoking-Emotions-and-Achieving-Success

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...

Personally - I loved it - the sense of horror wore off half way through but it was worth the admission price just for the wonderful illusions of the first few hours!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

@Baal! Aw, thanks! Right on - I've been wanting a solid recommendation from a Thiefer / horror fan type - gonna try this ASAP. =3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 11 months later...

I enjoyed To Give Is To Force, and there's even a conversion mod for Amnesia called White Night, makes the setting more modern (kinda like Penumbra I guess), which is creepy too, a nice counter to the brutal high speed fear of To Give.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I enjoyed To Give Is To Force, and there's even a conversion mod for Amnesia called White Night, makes the setting more modern (kinda like Penumbra I guess), which is creepy too, a nice counter to the brutal high speed fear of To Give.

Oh, I have to check out this one. Thanks for mentioning. Because I liked Penumbra a little bit more. Don't know why... maybe, because Amnesia scares me to death. >_<

No problem! Reminds me that I need to reinstall Crysis to try that horror-themed full conversion for it.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I've bought this game and it's definitely really cool. The only problem I have with it is the "teeth grinding" sound effect. It's not creepy, it's not immersive--it's just incredibly jarring, so much so that I couldn't continue playing it. And hopefully no one tells me that's the point. There's enjoyment to being frightened, but I can't see any enjoyment in being annoyed.

If there's a way to remove it, I'll give it another shot.

• 1 month later...