The Dark Mod Forums

Really ANNOYING Resolution bug!

xiorath

hey guys, installed TDM tonight and was messing with my resolution settings and I set it to 1980x1080 with everything maxed AF:16 AA:16, and when i restart the game it goes into 640x480 and stays that way no matter what i do, and if I start the game in that resolution my character doesn't even walk straight!!

the only way to fix this bug is to delete the config file and even when i do that and go back to doom 3 my resolution is PERMANANTLY stuck in 640x480... so its really annoying :(

specs-

win 7 x64

radeon HD5850 10.1 cat drivers

e8400 @ 4.25ghz

4 gigs of ram

24' monitor

ok well i got my game resolution fixed for the dark mod(havent figured out doom 3 yet..) i had to switch to 4:3 1024x768 then switch it to 1920x1080 but when i get in game everything is upside down!?!?!?!??!!?

edit: OK well i tried using 1280x1024 it got my character out of being upside down but the screen looks blurry and my character walks completely sideways...weird bugs..

im a huge thief fan i was really looking forward to playing!

Edited by xiorath

Haha, poor ATI users. Disabling Catalyst AI should do the trick. Good luck! The upside down issue is sometimes caused by bloom. Try turning it off if disabling Catalyst AI doesn't help. There is also a FAQ on the wiki, which will probably help you.

But you can always setup your resolution manually, if the menus don't help:

r_customwidth 1920
r_customheight 1080
r_mode -1  //Positive integers represent default resolutions. -1 is custom

On a more general concern: Shouldn't the FAQ be listed on the mainpage of the wiki?

• 7 months later...

ok sweet guys that fixed all my issues, thanks!

Heeeey, what did you do??? How did you fix it?? I have the same problem now, I'm stuck with 640x480 res. and the graphics are all shity.

I have no idea what's going on? I have played TDM earlier on a worst pc than this and everything worked like a charm..

Now I have ati Radeon HD4850.. same thing happens when I start Doom3.. I read on FAQ that I should first restart D3.. what does

that mean? like, restart the game or reinstall it.. ?

Anyway, shity graphics, low resolution.. fix how???

Heeeey, what did you do??? How did you fix it?? I have the same problem now, I'm stuck with 640x480 res. and the graphics are all shity.

I have no idea what's going on? I have played TDM earlier on a worst pc than this and everything worked like a charm..

Now I have ati Radeon HD4850.. same thing happens when I start Doom3.. I read on FAQ that I should first restart D3.. what does

that mean? like, restart the game or reinstall it.. ?

Anyway, shity graphics, low resolution.. fix how???

If it says to 'restart' the game, restart it...don't reinstall it. ;)

As was mentioned earlier, Catalyst AI is the issue with ATI cards. If you disable Catalyst AI then your problems should cease.

It's all explained in the FAQ that was linked a few posts up. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Upside-down_screen

Catalyst AI can be beneficial for other games (primarily DirectX games). I also recall that at one point dual video-card (crossfire) configurations required Catalyst AI to use both cards. Unfortunately, ATI seems to be utterly ignoring OpenGL as there aren't many "hot new games" for the API. Dave Baumann the ATI product manager recently asked the question "What is needs to be fixed" regarding ATI's OpenGL implementation. I asked that he pose that question at Doom3world...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1478830&postcount=34

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Catalyst AI can be beneficial for other games (primarily DirectX games). I also recall that at one point dual video-card (crossfire) configurations required Catalyst AI to use both cards. Unfortunately, ATI seems to be utterly ignoring OpenGL as there aren't many "hot new games" for the API. Dave Baumann the ATI product manager recently asked the question "What is needs to be fixed" regarding ATI's OpenGL implementation. I asked that he pose that question at Doom3world...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1478830&postcount=34

lol Dave Baumann, 2001: A space odyssey Dave Baumann? Is that his real name?

"Dave...what are you doing? Stop Dave!"

Yep.

That's his real name AFAIK. At least that's how he's billed in all his press releases.

(It'd be funny if he chose that moniker then had to keep it professionally because ATI felt that his reputation under that pseudonym was valuable from a client relations POV... JC Denton better watch out for the same scenario :laugh: )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 4 months later...

I have a problem. The game was being rendered upside-down, similar to xiorath. So I unstalled catalyst AI. Then the game rendered correctly. Then I updated dark mod from 1.03 to 1.04. Now it renders upside-down again. Only now, there's no catalyst AI to uninstall. What should I do?

I have a problem. The game was being rendered upside-down, similar to xiorath. So I unstalled catalyst AI. Then the game rendered correctly. Then I updated dark mod from 1.03 to 1.04. Now it renders upside-down again. Only now, there's no catalyst AI to uninstall. What should I do?

What do you mean by uninstall? Did you literally uninstall it from the programs menu? If you literally uninstalled it, you should reinstall it. The instructions are to 'disable' catalyst AI, not uninstall it.

"What do you mean by uninstall? Did you literally uninstall it from the programs menu? If you literally uninstalled it, you should reinstall it. The instructions are to 'disable' catalyst AI, not uninstall it."

The first time I had this problem, I disabled catalyst AI through catalyst control center. And then the screen was still upside-down. Then I uninstalled catalyst control center, and the screen change to right-side-up.

At some point, I updated my driver. I hadn't played dark mod in a while, and I updated from 1.03 to 1.04 before I played again. Now the screen is upside-down again. So I rolled back my driver. The screen is still upside-down. I still don't have catalyst control center installed.

Are you saying I should reinstall catalyst control center, because that's the only way to disable catalyst AI? I guess I might as well try that, because I've got nothing left to lose, but it makes no sense to do so, because I already rolled back my driver to a version that worked perfectly before, but now it doesn't work (and both then and now, I didn't have catalyst AI installed.)

I suspect ATI is doing some behind-the-scenes shehnanigans. Let's just hope they left some way for me to work around their "helpful", game-breaking software.