The Dark Mod Forums

Maybe a stupid question

GabrielSans

Sorry for asking this, but it is the only negative thing I could detect so far... negative to my ears, at least.

Is the sound emitted by the thief's shoes related to the mission or TDM?

I am asking about this, because they are too noisy for what an average thief'd choose (let alone a master one). While I don't expect the thief to wear rubber soles, I'd think he should wear something less noisy. In fact, the steps make so much noise that my mind is distracted in the process of exploring environments. Fortunately the guards are mostly half-deaf. When I crouch the noise decreases but so does my speed too.

Is there some way to reduce the volume caused by the thief's shoes?

Yep, strange questions :rolleyes:, but I can help noticing that during the missions. Ninja shoes would come in handy, really.

Of course, the rest is all positive :wub: (no other complaints for now).

Removed the "conflicting" name of the guy with the blackjack (Sorry team, but this game is so Thiefy that I always forget that there are just "similarities")

PS: If someone can remove that conflicting name from the thread title, do it please, because I can't figure out how to do it by myself. Thanks!

Edited by GabrielSans

The sun of Sanskrit knowledge

Who is this "Garret" you keep talking about?

I knew someone would say this sooner or later. Well, you know, the "guy with the blackjack", whatever his name. I suck when it comes to remembering names, friend.

Edited by GabrielSans

The sun of Sanskrit knowledge

The team have said the loudness of the shoes was more for your reference than to be how loud the thief accualy is in the game if im not mistaken.

I also think that in the 1.1 update they said they are lowering the volume (i could very well be wrong however).

The team have said the loudness of the shoes was more for your reference than to be how loud the thief accualy is in the game if im not mistaken.

That's my understanding of it. Imagine you're really trying to sneak around in a quiet building, trying not to be heard. Every step you took would sound like the beating of a kettle drum. It's not any louder than usual, but you have a heigtened sensitivity to the sound. Also, because of the key role that sound plays in the game, it was important to make each footstep noticeable and distinguishable, so you'd know if you were on marble rather than wood without too much straining of the shell-likes.

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Is there some way to reduce the volume caused by the thief's shoes?

As in the original games, and as others have suggested, the volume of the shoes is there to give the player audio feedback.

Having said that, things were still going to need tweaking after our 1.0 release so for the next update, some of the footstep sounds have been adjusted to be a little less intense. They're still there for adequate feedback, but not quite so much.

In a first person game like this, you aren't simply controlling the player...you are meant to be the player. So if you're right on top of those shoes, you're going to hear them better than anyone else.

It's also about gameplay. While yes, a thief would probably use quieter shoes in real life there are gameplay issues with this.

It's meant to be a challenge. Making noise is part of that and having guards hear your shoes has always been a part of 'thief' gameplay. If they didn't hear his footsteps the game would be WAY too easy. It's just one of those 'realism' sacrifices that has to be made to make the game more interesting.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest